database and website

eliezer

Registered
Hi.

I want to make a database for my website. It's a car website.

The database will have just one table with the following fields:
• about 10 fields about the car specs (e.g. make, model, top speed, etc.)
• a field for a picture of the car
• a long review about the car (about a page)

How do I put this all into a database and then access it from my website?

The short answer is you need to learn a programming language, such as PHP. You might be able to do with with XML, but either way, you need to learn a new language, whether it be programming or markup.

Or better yet, pay someone to make it for you.

This is another manifestation of the "Ask a lawyer for long and serious legal advice at a dinner party" syndrome. It's not acceptable and not fair to ask someone who makes their livelihood by programming to write an entire site for you for free in a public forum.

People around here will gladly help you with genuine problems or hang-ups, but this isn't a hang-up, this is a non-starter. :eek:

Learn Ruby and the Ruby on Rails web framework, and you can have this running in no time!! I'm learning too - it's very powerful, and very good for things like this.

Design work typically goes for $35 to $85 per hour down here in Texas (usually right around $45/hr.), depending on the complexity of the design and what technologies are involved. Freelancers charge a little less, people with big egos charge a little more... so it's up to you what you wanna charge!

mkwan said:
is $100 per hour too little....?

If that's Canadian dollars, probably not. If it's American dollars, it a bit on the high side for design-only (HTML) services, but not too bad for a site requiring design services & DB work. (For reference, currently $100CAD is approximately $86USD)

Back