Declining Updates

bowjest

Registered
Hello,

Is there any way to permanently decline an update? I have a couple that have appeared to fix problems in Logic Pro and I only have Logic Express, so they are of no value to me.

I can uncheck them and choose not to install them, but they still appear in the list the next time other new updates appear.

Also, when do I know whether it's safe to install an update? I have a printer update that has appeared, but the last time I did that, it killed the OCR functionality I had previously.

Should I always install Mac System Updates, or wait several weeks until possible problems have been discovered? I don't really want to just install things because they're there as that will surely lead to them filling up my harddrive. Right?

Thanks in advance!

I would get more info on the update. If it's showing up when you only have Logic Express, perhaps it contains supporting files that are compatible with all flavors of Logic.

Diablo/Earthsaver,

Thanks for your replies.

Diablo, I'll try that first option you suggested. With regard to system updates, should these always be applied or is a wait and see attitude a better bet?

Diablo,

I've tried that first suggestion of yours, but it doesn't display the options outlined in the article.

I've got 10.6.5 and the article only seems to cover up to 10.5.

Do you know if it's still possible to make this change on a later system? I'm not having much luck finding a newer article.

The relevant command is Ignore in the Updates menu. On Mac OS X system updates, it's not unhealthy to wait a week if you're concerned. On occasion, there's a serious problem that wasn't discovered in testing that leads to an update being pulled and reposted.

Which Logic Pro update is appearing for you?

Thanks, Earthsaver.

I was looking for the ignore option on the screen rather than thinking it might be in the menu list. :(

The update I'm getting for Logic is a Prokit Update 6.0.1 (I think - haven't checked it since early this morning).

Do I really need that?

Thanks

ProKit is a set of utilities and APIs that many Apple "pro" applications use, including Logic Express (among others as well -- Final Cut Pro, Final Cut Express, Logic, etc.).

It's not going to be harmful to install it, and getting it done with may be less frustrating than constantly trying to ignore it.

Last edited:
You can often get answers to "do I need this update?" at the support pages for the update.
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1318
That update has been out around a month, and Apple says it's 'recommended' (but, I have yet to see an update saying 'not recommended for anyone' :D )
You'll see that it fixes some shared assets with the various pro apps, which includes your Logic Express.
There's nothing wrong with being hesitant about applying updates. There's certainly a history of problems that some folks have with any update. And, software like ProTools can often break with OS X updates. Then, you have to rely on the software publisher to provide fixes. Here, you have Apple on both ends, so hopefully, any problems with an update would be extremely limited in scope.
Those problems with updates are usually anecdotal, however, and the high majority have no problems with updates. Of course, you can watch the various forums for reports (which may or may not be valid) before you update.

You may need it anyway because it's not an update to Logic Pro specifically but contains support for all "pro" Logic products, both the professional Logic Pro and the prosumer Logic Express. Sounds like this update nonspecifically offers support for new technologies. And some users are reporting it problematic to their installations of Soundtrack 1.5. Otherwise, it's probably a worthwhile update.

In general, Mac OS X system updates are usually safe to install after a week or so, just in case something went wrong that led to an update being pulled and reposted. For other updates you're not sure about, searching Apple Discussions for other users who share your concern is a good first step.

Diablo, DeltaMac and Earthsaver,

Thanks for all your input. It's very helpful and has helped a lot in my understanding of things.

If I may ask one last question: if I choose not to install an update and then at a later date another update for the same product comes out, can I install the later update without having installed the previous one? That is, will the later update be accumulative?

Thanks!

That depends. Apple can do both. Usually, they'd simply not show you newer updates until you do the current one. I'd simply read a little more about this specific update and problems with other applications (as has already been suggested, Soundtrack in some versions might have problems after installing this update), and install it once you're sure you'll be fine. The same for a future update, of course.

Mac OS X updates come in delta and combo form, so you can go directly from 10.6.0 to 10.6.5 without having to install 10.6.1-10.6.4. But for apps, I think, Apple hasn't yet done combo-updaters. Then again, I've simply always made the updates when they came out in the past two years at least.

I disagree. I'd say that more often Apple will show a newer update which combines the changes of previous updates so you don't have to install as many. (Microsoft, on the other hand, hasn't figured out how to do that with its Office updates, at least through version 2008.) Besides Mac OS X updates, they won't be listed as combo.

I'm not sure about this ProKit update. You could read the release notes for previous Logic ProKit updates before version 6.x and maybe garner an answer about their contents.

Fryke, Earthsaver,

Thanks. I guess I'll just install the Mac stuff as I feel it's safe to do so and read up on the app updates and take it from there.

Again, many thanks!

Back