Deleting Microsoft AutoUpdate?

SGilbert

Registered
I have deleted Microsoft AutoUpdate app and many 'periferials', but 4 large files remain as they are locked and cannot be unlocked, at least bye traditional methods.
Any idea how? (if they were small, I'd let them ride, but they are quite large!

These are the files, and one of the 'Get Info's'. EDIT: The forum will not allow me to upload 2 screen shots!
The files are Autoupdater files and apparently are locked down quite well--maybe by MS.

Last edited:
When some random files can't be removed/trashed, try disabling SIP, then after restarting with SIP off. After disabling SIP, try to unlock/delete those files.
You should re-enable SIP when you have successfully removed those files (assuming you do succeed!)
You said "quite large" --- how large are the files?

7.3, 6.2, 6.2, 6.1 MB. 25.8MB altogether. That's quite large in my book. :)
I found instructions online to do that. Will attempt in a bit. Thanks!

For those interested: #3 in this.

If the simple disabling SIP tip does not help at all with those few files -- Do keep in mind that the files may be locked for a good reason. If it is part of MS Office, then you may need to look on Microsoft Office user forums somewhere.
( I remember when those files could actually be considered as large - but I also recall booting my Mac to a usable system from a single 1MB floppy disc, and my hard drive (in a Mac IIsi) was 40 MB! But, that was years ago, -- Those days are long gone... :cool: 25.8MB might be not worth the effort -- maybe you can change your opinion to think of those files as "small", and ignorable.

You said you deleted the MS Autoupdate app. Did you also remove all other Microsoft apps?

Well... Disabling SIP did not work!
I did learn something new, however. M1 Macs cannot startup in Recovery mode using Command+R; that is only for Intel Macs.
To start in Recovery mode on M1 Macs; after Shutdown, not Restart, press & hold the startup button (in my case, the finger used for fingerprint ID only), and wait until the HD and Options shows up. You will need the system password.

I previously tried moving one of the files to the desktop to see if I could delete from there--NG! Now I have 5; an additional 7.2MB added to the 25.8! Luckily I have a 512G HD now instead of the 256 I had previously!

No, I have not deleted MS Office '16. My reason for deleting Microsoft AutoUpdate is that the last 2 versions automatically startup at least twice/day, no matter if I have automatically check updates checked or not.

I have one more possibility to try. Reinstall Microsoft AutoUpdate, and then see if there is a removal option. If not, I'll have a 6th file! :(

Scratch that last resort idea! I've been to 2 different MS forums, and it seems the Microsoft AutoUpdate opening several times a day is very common--dating back a year! Only solution is to delete app, which I have. No mention of the hidden files that I have, however, as 99% of the responders don't even know that they have them.

PS: I still cannot attach a screen shot!

The 4 hidden ones are bad enough, but I have one on my desktop that I cannot move or delete. It's starring me in the face laughing it's ass off! Every time I try to move it, all it wants to do is copy itself! :(

Are the 4 files all in the same folder?
Name of one file? Doesn't matter which, just one of those files.
What is the message that you get when you attempt to drag to trash?

have you tried to remove those files in your terminal?
type in terminal
Code:
sudo rm -R (pathtofile)
That's sudo(space)rm(space)-R(must be capital R, then add one space)
Then, drag one of your files into the terminal window. That will automatically fill in the pathname to that file.
Press enter. Terminal will ask for your admin password. Type it in. The terminal will not show anything as you type your password (it's a security feature), then press enter.
File deleted? or terminal shows an error message? (you don't have permission for this action, or something like that)?

To DeltaMac,
Yes on Terminal. Here's what it says:
Last login: Wed Jan 19 14:27:58 on ttys000
steve@Stephens-MacBook-Pro ~ % sudo rm -R/Users/steve/Desktop/Microsoft_AutoUpdate_4.7.19011500_Updater.pkg
Password:
rm: illegal option -- /
usage: rm [-f | -i] [-dPRrvW] file ...
unlink file
steve@Stephens-MacBook-Pro ~ %

File name: Microsoft_AutoUpdate_4.7.19011500_Updater.pkg

Dragging to trash says:
The operation can't be completed because the item
"Microsoft_AutoUpdate_4.7.19011500_Updater.pkg" is locked.

You missed the last space - between the -R and /Users... ( I did say to add that space in my post above :cool: )

Also, have you tried to unlock the file by changing the permissions on the file:
Get Info for that file, go to the Sharing & Permissions section at the bottom of that Info window, then click the lock so you can change the permissions there.
Is one of the names for your user (would also show (Me), and you click on the Privilege setting to make it Read& Write.)
If you don't see (Me), then choose the user "everyone", and change THAT to be Read & Write.
Try to uncheck Locked in the General area. If that works, close the Info window, and now try to drag the file to the trash.

WOW!!!! That space did it! Although, I had to type password that didn't appear to take, but apparently it did. Then I had to answer 'yes'.
(Changing permissions was not possible, as all greyed out)

All 5 deleted!!!

(FWIW, before I did the above, I created a folder on desktop and dragged the offensive locked folder into it. Good news: Folder with copied file was able to go to trash and be deleted. Bad news, file remained in desktop.)

That is not the problem. I use EasyFind. I can see, and know exactly, where they are! I cannot delete them.
WOW!!!! That space did it! Although, I had to type password that didn't appear to take, but apparently it did. Then I had to answer 'yes'.
(Changing permissions was not possible, as all greyed out)

All 5 deleted!!!

(FWIW, before I did the above, I created a folder on desktop and dragged the offensive locked folder into it. Good news: Folder with copied file was able to go to trash and be deleted. Bad news, file remained in desktop.)

In the future just use the Recovery partition and in that change the permissions on the files!

Back