Design the new icon for the chat client contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

edX

mac shaman
well, as most of you have noticed, we have our own dedicated irc chat client for the site. we ended up using an icon that fryke threw together at the last minute. it looks good, but we need something better. Chevy and i had done one that didn't look too good at a large size. Fryke's looks kinda nondescript when small.

we need a distinctive icon that will stand out and look sharp at all sizes. one that reflects an os x chat client. i suppose the sky is pretty much the limit here but please don't just use apple icons and logos with a sight change. it would be ok to incorporate in them in a background way, but be sure at least 20-50% of it is changed.

in a few weeks, when we have some good submissions, we will have a vote of site members and let them decide which one to use. or if we get enough of them, we change the icon with version changes.

what do you get out of it? nothing but the satisfaction of seeing your icon on a distributed piece of software. the pride of accomplishment. the praise of your fellow members.

more details about format of submissions and such will be forthcoming, but start thinking and playing with ideas now. we want our icon to be one of the best on the net :D

um well i guess this is ok
if anyone wants to tweek it PM, IM, or E-mail me and i'll send you the .PSD version of it
7255Xcomunity.jpg

I'd like to make a suggestion if I may. If your icon is not square, try to make it transparent around the contour of the icon, so it will look like most other OSX icons.

3D-looking icons are always good too :)

Need to work on clarity of text in smaller sizes.

Comments, suggestions, etc., etc...?

Attachments

• macosxicons.jpg
    macosxicons.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 66
Captain Code - eh, i just put it out there fro the tweeking ;)

mdnky - get rid of the drop shadow of the origional image ;)

do someting with the text... kinda plain
i like the top one but stick with a white/gray/black theme and get rid of the blue

Here's a rough sketch of mine...
8812iconsketch.jpg

Is it the Mac OS logo or a talk baloon?! The world may NEVER KNOW...
- Brian

ok, here is a rough of the one Chevy and i put together. yes, we know it needs less pixelation at the larger sizes and that can be done if people like it.
5540macosxchat2.jpg

I think I finished mine.

8812icon2.jpg

I like it now. :)

- Brian

EDIT: Eh, scratch that. I still wanna make that blue gradient at the bottom a little less opaque. And I dunno about the aqua-ness of that chat balloon...

Brain and anybody else - keep in mind we want something that will look good when scrunched down in the dock as well as full size on the drive. so while your design is nice, you need the inner graphics to be larger in proportion to the background, or more simply - less border :) the original proportion you had in your rough was good.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that Brian just added the background at the last moment to give the icon something to be on top of, I think that the actual icon is just the chat bubble and smiley face part.

Maybe something like this!

Matthew

P.S. This is an old icon I made for another app on my computer... I didn't feel like making a new one! ;-)

Attachments

• chat x!.jpg
    chat x!.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 55
Right you are, dlloyd. It's a regular 128x icon. Looks quite nice in my dock, too, if I do say so myself. :)

- Brian

ok, my misunderstanding. i gueess i'm thinking these should be sumittled just as they would appear. if it's transparent around the icon, it should be white as displayed. i find the texture behind it to be distracting as compared to his rough.

I especially like the one by phatcactus.... I love the simplicity, and the Mac logo turned sideways for two uses.

...too bad I still can't get the chat client working through my school connection! bah!

Hey, maybe I'll have a go at one later today! I'll use Fireworks, no Photoshop or anything, but Fireworks does A LOT, I haven't not been able to do anything I wanted on there yet.
Anyway, look for mine later today.

PS, I have done a lot of experimentation with Aqua things, so mine will probably be very 'candyish'.
PPS, I don't use the client, I use XChat. Does mine still count? ;)

I wanted to get an idea in so i put this together quck this morning.

Twister

Attachments

• macosxchat.png
    macosxchat.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 44
Nice, I think I like twister's the best.
BTW twister, where did you get the Apple logo vector?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back