Design the new icon for the chat client contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by edX
i forget what the exact percentage is, but it's something like 20 to 50% of something must be altered in order to not be theft of someone else's work. so yea, slice it, dice it, add stuff over it, what ever... just change enough of it that it is no longer what apple uses as their trademark or their icons.

In all actuality any resemblence can be considered infringement. The use of the item is more of a consideration here than how "similar" it looks.

Since this is for a "free" use, and the rule about changing any trademarked/copyrighted logos is in effect, the chances of getting sued are virtually none, but in today's world who knows.

Here is my next try:

PS, How do I make my image display directly in the post? Do I have to upload it somewhere first?

Attachments

• chaticon_3.gif
    chaticon_3.gif
    3.5 KB · Views: 35
Originally posted by twister
I choped off most of the apples and the X is from the font New York. Not an apple traced X.

Twister
I Like the top one but make the word bubble going to both of the apples (very nice)

Originally posted by dlloyd
Here is my next try:

PS, How do I make my image display directly in the post? Do I have to upload it somewhere first?

yes

It looks ok but i don't like how OS is in-between the X.

Well, I expect I shall take some flak for the use of the Jaguar X and the Apple logo, but I like this one, and it is very read-able!

Attachments

• chaticon_4.jpg
    chaticon_4.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 50
Originally posted by dlloyd
Well, I expect I shall take some flak for the use of the Jaguar X and the Apple logo, but I like this one, and it is very read-able!

off topic.. how did you make that pic? Or did you do it manually>? (not likely)

RPS, do you mean the Jaguar X?
If that is it, I got that from a site that was posted in this thread a while back.

Why do you say that is not likely? You underestimate me! :)
Anyway, here is version #4, my favorite so far:

Attachments

• chaticon_5_sizes.jpg
    chaticon_5_sizes.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 44
Not to sound mean or pretentious, but text in icons is tacky as hell, not to mention almost always unscalable. Text belongs under or next to icons, not in them.

</rant>

- Brian

OK Let me get in here. This would be draft 1. Criticism fully accepted.

xchatlogo.jpg

I'd say, when you chat you type ;-) sideways, not up and down. And i don't know if i like the red outline.

Nice work though, the more we have the nicer it'll be.

:)

Twister

ok, vague idea i've got going here. i'll throw it out and see if anybody can do anything with it. how about something using the blue X and the jag X. somehow overlapped or communicating or superimposed upon each other with something else worked in like bigbadbill did. not real clear in my head, so i thought i'd see if anybody else could give it life. :)

or even say twisters, with one apple face blue and the other jag colored?

This is a classic case of designers running off to do mockups without first getting clear requirements from their cusomter (edX). ;)

oh no Tommy, the membership as a whole is the client here. we will all be voting on which one to use. i gave the guidelines to start with. i'm just throwing out an idea that i don't really have the ability to pull off. my graphic abilities are very limited. i think we've had some great ones so far and could easily close this and pick a good one. but better to leave it open for awhile longer and see how these ideas grow or if something better is still out there.

Heres another idea. Not finished but i thought i'd show it. I'm outta thinking power so i'll see what you all think.

Twister

Attachments

• xbubble.gif
    xbubble.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 32
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back