Disable built in iSight under Leopard on Macbook Pro (C2D)?

hallatie

Registered
I can usually find what I need to know by searching, but so far this problem hasn't been so easy to solve.

I want to disable the built in iSight camera in my Macbook Pro (C2D) via software instead of some unsightly tape. I'm aware of the possibility of a rootkit or other malicious software being able to override a software lockout, but in truth if the software was able to get that far I might have bigger problems.

This is partly to keep it from being used via iChat and other software unintentionally. I am forgetful sometimes and I wouldn't want to subject others to my morning face, before I shower, by mistake.

I have tried to remove the following from the system followed by a reboot, but the camera is still usable in iMovie and in "System Preferences -> Accounts -> Edit Picture -> Take a video snapshot":

/System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeUSBVDCDigitizer.component/Contents/MacOS/QuickTimeUSBVDCDigitizer

when removing that did not work I tried to remove the entire folder:

/System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeUSBVDCDigitizer.component/

in the end I removed all of the following:

/System/Library/QuickTime/QuickTimeUSBVDCDigitizer.component/ (the entire folder)
/System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleUSBVideoSupport.kext
/System/Library/Extensions/Apple_iSight.kext

but this still does not disable the built in iSight even after rebooting the system.

I am really out of ideas on what could possibly be keeping it enabled, but I hope someone here has some ideas.

I think tape is too easy to miss.
"unsightly tape"?
try a craft/hobby store, where you can find more pleasant tape in many forms.
A cute little 'star' sticker would even do the job, eh?

You can tell anytime the iSight is active because a little green light will appear next to the camera in the top-middle of your screen.

The iSight is never active unless you see a green light. It is impossible via software to have the iSight on, but no green light.

With that being said, here is some software that purports to be able to disable it completely:

http://techslaves.org/isight-disabler/

However, reports are that Apple has packaged the iSight driver into the FaceTime application itself ($0.99 at the App Store), so no amount of software or moving kernel extensions can disable the iSight when used with the FaceTime app, apparently.

Trust in the green light is my best advice. The only other way is to crack the lid open and pull the wire out of the camera.

Back