Disk Utility Finds Problems With Partition Map - But Only In Safe Mode

Iklatenk

Registered
Disk Utility in normal mode (log in from administrator account) or from Command R shows everything is normal, but when I do it in Safe Mode I get this:

aNVdpV5.png

Is this a bug? I wouldn't even know about it if not for random testing using Safe Mode.

When I had Sierra, Disk Utility didn't even want to run in Safe Mode when doing this scan on Apple HDD, just popping window saying the thing about partition map. Back to El Capitan, it now looks like that.

Both in El Capitan and Sierra, running Disk Utility when logging in with admin account or with Command+R, nothing showed up, Disk Utility saying everything is fine. Only in Safe Mode does this appear.

But shouldn't Command+R show the best results - the most precise ones? So is Safe Mode just having a bug of some sort? How often do people run Disk Utility in Safe Mode?

Maybe it is common, no one simply has found out about it.

Last edited:
Could be a bug, I suppose.
But, safe mode, being a submode of the operating system, has a lot of other differences, plus the report that you showed is not even saying that there is a real problem (in my opinion), and simply states "might prevent booting"
It may only be another difference between Safe mode, and a normal boot, and not a bug, as such.

If the problem concerns you (and if you are actually having a problem with booting to the drive), then take care of the problem.
If it were me, that would mean backing up the drive, formatting, and restoring the drive from the backup.
...Done.
(Or, you could also consider replacing the hard drive with an SSD, for a great update regardless of the Mac that you are using.)

Could be a bug, I suppose.
But, safe mode, being a submode of the operating system, has a lot of other differences, plus the report that you showed is not even saying that there is a real problem (in my opinion), and simply states "might prevent booting"
It may only be another difference between Safe mode, and a normal boot, and not a bug, as such.

If the problem concerns you (and if you are actually having a problem with booting to the drive), then take care of the problem.
If it were me, that would mean backing up the drive, formatting, and restoring the drive from the backup.
...Done.
(Or, you could also consider replacing the hard drive with an SSD, for a great update regardless of the Mac that you are using.)

No problem as it seems. Mac opens fine with no issues. Hm, this is interesting idea about differences between Safe Mode and normal boot...
I'll make back-up, but as You think this doesn't actually look like a problem I'll then wait and see if there will develop any booting issues.
Such message though means that maybe there will be issues with booting, but not like there could be something else, like system weakening or Mac's defenses crumbling?

Well, sure. It could be your first notice that your hard drive is having issues, which you may not as yet notice, other than one unusual message.

Are your computer walls crumbling? Don't know. :D
Do you have any issues with the Spinning Colored Wheel (and you system occasionally lags?

How old is that hard drive, anyway? if it is more than 4 or 5 years old, then you may want to begin thinking about replacing it. As I said, an SSD is a marvelous upgrade from your spinning hard drive.
Just my opinion...

Well, sure. It could be your first notice that your hard drive is having issues, which you may not as yet notice, other than one unusual message.

Are your computer walls crumbling? Don't know. :D
Do you have any issues with the Spinning Colored Wheel (and you system occasionally lags?

How old is that hard drive, anyway? if it is more than 4 or 5 years old, then you may want to begin thinking about replacing it. As I said, an SSD is a marvelous upgrade from your spinning hard drive.
Just my opinion...

I bought my Mac this summer, in June. So, rather young. :D
Hm... no, my system is almost always very fast, definitely VERY fast compared to my old Windows!

By SSD you mean this thing?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive
Sorry, You are dealing with total newbie here. :) Gotta have to read about this more then.

Yes, the difference between a spinning (mechanical) hard drive, and a solid-state drive (no moving parts, no waiting for the disk to spin into position, no mechanical noise from the drive. Very little heat. -and- very fast.

Bought new this year, so you have a Mac mini. Nice system, I have had two minis for a couple of years. One with an SSD, the other is identical except that it has a spinning hard drive. The SSD makes it MUCH faster.
Your mini will be newer than mine, and not so easy to swap out the hard drive.

Anyway, unless you are experiencing problems, I think you should choose to ignore that little report from Disk Utility. It may not mean anything at all without other symptoms, such as a lag in response, and slower launches of your apps, when you have to wait longer than you do now for most anything to happen.

Yes, the difference between a spinning (mechanical) hard drive, and a solid-state drive (no moving parts, no waiting for the disk to spin into position, no mechanical noise from the drive. Very little heat. -and- very fast.

Bought new this year, so you have a Mac mini. Nice system, I have had two minis for a couple of years. One with an SSD, the other is identical except that it has a spinning hard drive. The SSD makes it MUCH faster.
Your mini will be newer than mine, and not so easy to swap out the hard drive.

Anyway, unless you are experiencing problems, I think you should choose to ignore that little report from Disk Utility. It may not mean anything at all without other symptoms, such as a lag in response, and slower launches of your apps, when you have to wait longer than you do now for most anything to happen.

Okay, thank you! It means a lot to know I can ignore it for now.

Back