Disk Utility keeps fixing the same permissions?

stephgreene

Registered
I ran Disk Utility a few times and tried to Repair the Disk Permissions. Every time I run it, the results are the same - i get a bunch of permissions fixed, but they keep coming back again. Is this normal?

stephgreene said:
I ran Disk Utility a few times and tried to Repair the Disk Permissions. Every time I run it, the results are the same - i get a bunch of permissions fixed, but they keep coming back again. Is this normal?
Very normal. You'll notice that permissions are not actually repaired. Those are special permissions, and Disk Utility is simply reporting those special permissions. Nothing to be concerned about.

I get the same question from users of my application, Mac HelpMate as well. It's not a big deal, quite normal.

Just to clarify: no permissions are repaired unless explicitly stated... something to the tune of "Permissions differ on [blah blah]" and then "Permissions repaired on [blah blah]."

If you're seeing messages like "We are using special permissions for [blah blah]", then it's quite obvious that the permissions are not being repaired, as it is not explicitly stated. These are simply informational messages alerting you to the fact that Mac OS X is using some non-standard permissions for certain files and directories. Those messages will appear every single time you run a repair permissions, no matter how many times you run it.

Back