Displays: Ok, I have to fume now!

King Shrek

Registered
Apple,

Make a new redesigned display like the ones you released today, but is 17-inch and works with PCs. I don't think PC users are going to want to fork out $1,299 for a 20-inch model, especially if they don't even need that much screen real estate. Please Apple. The current 17-inch studio display is outdated and just isn't going to cut it! :mad:

Furiously,
King Shrek

are you saying that apple should make a monitor with specs to suit the pc crowd? that seems... odd.

At my local CompUSA they even have one of the now old 20's in the PC section amongst the other PC LCDs displaying windows XP just like the rest of em. If you are honestly comparing specs even with the ADC adapter they held up well against that competition.

if you havent noticed, old and new Apple LCDs matched the hardware they were released around. why would you want one for a PC? they arent any better than most of the PC LCDs (Sony and ViewSonic actually have better specs/price) and its certainly not worth the price just to spruce up your beige box.

It's not that I actually want one; it's that Apple needs to do this so the Macintosh platform will actually become more competitive against the PC world. ::ha::

You see, Apple has this strategy that by bringing more support for Apple products on the PC platform they can show PC users just how good it can really be and woo more of them over to the Mac platform and increase their market share. I for one think that this is a great concept! :D

But $1,299 for a base size Apple LCD (20") doesn't sound very competitive to me. Sometimes even for Mac users that is just way too much money for a screen. :(

sorry to burst your bubble but selling a LCD is not going to bring people to the Mac platform.

iPods didnt even bring people to the Mac platform, thats why they are universally compatible now.

kendall said:
iPods didnt even bring people to the Mac platform, thats why they are universally compatible now.

Can you even confirm that there is any accuracy in that statement?

17inch old cinema is still available including an ADC adapter. Wrap some aluminium foil around the frame and enjoy the new look.. :D

There's cheaper options out there made by Sony, Viewsonic, Mitsibishi, NEC, and the other monitor manufacturers. They'll work just fine with a Mac.

The price of the 30" Cinema display is right where it probably should be. I'd love to see it cost less of course, but that's not realistic. If you can find another monitor equal to or better than that one for under $3200, let me know about it.

Apple isn't trying to compete with the PC world. If they were you'd definitely see a big difference in the quality of the machines and the associated costs. They're high-end machines in a niche market.

mdnky said:
There's cheaper options out there made by Sony, Viewsonic, Mitsibishi, NEC, and the other monitor manufacturers. They'll work just fine with a Mac.

The price of the 30" Cinema display is right where it probably should be. I'd love to see it cost less of course, but that's not realistic. If you can find another monitor equal to or better than that one for under $3200, let me know about it.

Apple isn't trying to compete with the PC world. If they were you'd definitely see a big difference in the quality of the machines and the associated costs. They're high-end machines in a niche market.

Well, I haven't said anything about the 30". The 30" is cooler than heck and priced just right. Even the 20" and 23" screens are priced right. But Apple still needs to cover the low-end side of things if it really wants to make some money and increase it's market share.

Don't you want to see Apple's market share and profits go up? Be honest.

So what you want is Four monitors in the new lineup, starting with a 17"?

I can understand that desire. I just found out my job (currently rolling over from contract to contract) is going to "change" ( i have to re-apply for it.. don't ya just love government) and i will effectively double my income. Anywho. Im gonna save as much as i can and hope to get a ( based on current prices/models) dual 2ghz g5 and a 20" lcd. (with the new NVIDIA card, bluetooth and 250gb)

At the moment it looks like it'll be early next year, when I'm guessing we'll have, or be close to having new G5s (one of those rumored XStations would be nice)

So basically, I understand your point, but I don't think it's going to happen. 17" is almost standard now. Admittedly not in LCDs, but CRTs are almost all 17" now, and a lot of places are offering LCDs as default. Apple has always been that one step ahead of the rest of the market. Wireless Networking. DVD-RAM/DVD-R(W). Flatscreen (CRT & LCD), Gigabit ethernet, Firewire, USB.

Basically, I think Apple ARE competing with the PC offerings. take LCDs (where there is likely to be less technical difference)

I did a quick google search for "20 inch lcd" and found an online store. I found several 20" LCDs for around $1k. however. Only one had a usb hub. none had a firewire hub. and if they are anything like the IBM LCDs we have here at work, the picture quality will be shocking at best. Apple has always been seen as "uncompetitive and overpriced" by people that don't seem to understand why people use macs, or simply want "a mac for a pc price". That isn't going to happen. A friend of mine bought a PC (AMD XP2500+, 512Mb, 128Mb GForce4FX5600, 120Gb, Combo, 17"CRT) from a dodgy guy for $AU1500. It seemed like a good deal. Then we noticed. He didnt have the gigabit ethernet as promised, only 10/100. His modem (a "soft" modem which relies on windows drivers to work) wouldnt work in Linux, and wasn't even recognized by Windows! His monitor had a vertical line in it and steadily had more and more flicker, even at 85Hz. The one he got back, is not flatscreen, and has no EMI (electro-magnetic interference) screening, so it affects the TV/Radio/etc whenever it's on.

The moral of the story: Cheap usually means Cheap & Nasty. I'm happy to spend $AU8000 on a new G5/LCD/etc because I know that it will last. I have a G4 400 with a 17" flatscreen ADC CRT (up to 832Mb, 120+40Gb). It still works. But I want something better now. I will probably use the G4 either as a server, or give it to my parents to use. How many 400Mhz PCs can you tell me that will run XP without problems, and let you burn cds, download from the net and read emails AT THE SAME TIME?

I rest my case.
( i thought that was just an expression... )

Pengu said:
Apple has always been seen as "uncompetitive and overpriced" by people that don't seem to understand why people use macs, or simply want "a mac for a pc price".

That's exactly why Apple needs to more aggressively cover the low-end of the business their in. ::angel::

Pengu said:
The moral of the story: Cheap usually means Cheap & Nasty. I'm happy to spend $AU8000 on a new G5/LCD/etc because I know that it will last. I have a G4 400 with a 17" flatscreen ADC CRT (up to 832Mb, 120+40Gb). It still works. But I want something better now. I will probably use the G4 either as a server, or give it to my parents to use. How many 400Mhz PCs can you tell me that will run XP without problems, and let you burn cds, download from the net and read emails AT THE SAME TIME.

And there are many people that don't know or understand the good things about Macs. Heck, there are so many people that know nothing about them, but if they were able to purchase a cheaper Mac to just try out this platform, they would realize how good of a platform it really is. Then later they would likely be much more willing to spend the extra $$$ on a high-end machine. :D

eMacs ain't that expensive. The point is, that most of the ppl are attracted by the design on the first sight instead of the technology. And the better the mac looks, the more expensive it is, since it actually includes the most recent technology

Zammy-Sam said:
eMacs ain't that expensive. The point is, that most of the ppl are attracted by the design on the first sight instead of the technology. And the better the mac looks, the more expensive it is, since it actually includes the most recent technology

Well, PC users are smarter than that and when they shop for computers they look at the technology. And if the technology is outdated or they don't feel it's worth the pricetag that's on it, then they most likely won't buy it. I hate to be so blunt, but that's the truth. ::ha::

yeah right. go hang out at best buy sometime and just "mingle" around the computer section. listen to the questions people ask the sales guys and what they end up walking out with. my take...

they look at the price, the best buy guy says, but you'll be able to see your grandkids' pictures faster on this one, and they walk out with the later. MOST people don't care. they just want one that works. salesmen talk them into "that computer that will still be good in 5 years".

cfleck said:
yeah right. go hang out at best buy sometime and just "mingle" around the computer section. listen to the questions people ask the sales guys and what they end up walking out with. my take...

they look at the price, the best buy guy says, but you'll be able to see your grandkids' pictures faster on this one, and they walk out with the later. MOST people don't care. they just want one that works. salesmen talk them into "that computer that will still be good in 5 years".

I beg to differ. Go to any Non-Mac message board and ask people what they think. Most will tell you that Macs suck and that they will never buy one. :(

Back