Displays: Ok, I have to fume now!

and you also think most pc users hang out on message boards. think about 95% of the computer using populous. most of those people are NOT hanging out in any forums. its a bit silly to assume that your forum-mates make up for a good sampling of the topics users.

cfleck said:
and you also think most pc users hang out on message boards. think about 95% of the computer using populous. most of those people are NOT hanging out in any forums. its a bit silly to assume that your forum-mates make up for a good sampling of the topics users.

Every person that gives their opinion on a specific topic speaks for 1,000 others that don't. :p

King Shrek said:
Well, PC users are smarter than that and when they shop for computers they look at the technology. And if the technology is outdated or they don't feel it's worth the pricetag that's on it, then they most likely won't buy it. I hate to be so blunt, but that's the truth. ::ha::
You don't just buy a computer because of the technology, but the software you want to use. True, if you want to play, you gotta go with the most recent technology. But once it comes to the point you need certain applications, you will go for certain system. Then you might no more compare the eMac to a hightech pc, but compare WinXP to Panther. And when it's just about panther, the eMac is the best choice. This is the other truth :p

If PC users don't buy "outdated" technology, why do PCs still ship with
floppy drives
parallel ports
serial ports
VGA (honestly, isn't it time the PC world went digital???)
and the biggest of all.
WINDOWS :p

Pengu, that hit the nail directly on the head.

"Floppy drive??? What am I gonna use that for!"

Hell. if you're talking old technology. What about BIOS. That hasn't been updated since the 80s. just had hacks applied to it for each new device they stick on the motherboard.

And whats the deal with a P4 3.2ghz having a 200mhz FSB. a comparable g5 (if it existed) would have a fsb or 1.6ghz.do they not understand the word bottleneck? (oh wait. they understood bottleneck when we still had pc-100 in g4s.)

i work with PCs every day. every day there is something making me wish that even I had a mac at work. hell. i might talk to my boss and take my g4 (400 mhz, 832mb, 160gb) in to work when i get a new g5. by then netware 7 should be out (i hope) and it will support macs natively (again).

Zammy-Sam said:
You don't just buy a computer because of the technology, but the software you want to use. True, if you want to play, you gotta go with the most recent technology. But once it comes to the point you need certain applications, you will go for certain system. Then you might no more compare the eMac to a hightech pc, but compare WinXP to Panther. And when it's just about panther, the eMac is the best choice. This is the other truth :p

My point is, is that that is NOT the way PC users think. The way I stated above is the way PC users think when it comes to Macs. ::evil::

Pengu said:
If PC users don't buy "outdated" technology, why do PCs still ship with
floppy drives
parallel ports
serial ports
VGA (honestly, isn't it time the PC world went digital???)
and the biggest of all.
WINDOWS :p

It has nothing to do with that at all. It has to do with the processor, the memory, the motherboard, the bus speed, etc. It's overall system performance that matters to them.

Pengu said:
Hell. if you're talking old technology. What about BIOS. That hasn't been updated since the 80s. just had hacks applied to it for each new device they stick on the motherboard.

And whats the deal with a P4 3.2ghz having a 200mhz FSB. a comparable g5 (if it existed) would have a fsb or 1.6ghz.do they not understand the word bottleneck? (oh wait. they understood bottleneck when we still had pc-100 in g4s.)

It's an 800MHz bus; not 200MHz.

And I don't think that average PC users care much about BIOSes. Heck, many know nothing about it or even what it's for.

Shrek, you are a typicall pc user from what I read by now. You are pretty much obsessed with numbers. I would suggest you to pick certain applications and try them on macs and pcs. You will then understand why Macs are so much spread in the professional and educational field.

King Shrek said:
It's an 800MHz bus; not 200MHz.

And I don't think that average PC users care much about BIOSes. Heck, many know nothing about it or even what it's for.
OK. What part of "FSB 200MHz" means 800mhz? I mean, I don't pretend to understand all the little idiosyncrocies of Voltages vs mhz vs Clock cycles vs watts vs ohms, but i can read english, and that sure as hell looks like 200.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040414/geforce_6800-22.html

Zammy-Sam said:
Shrek, you are a typicall pc user from what I read by now. You are pretty much obsessed with numbers. I would suggest you to pick certain applications and try them on macs and pcs. You will then understand why Macs are so much spread in the professional and educational field.

Thank God I actually do look at the numbers and too many Macheads just don't understand that not everything Apple tells them about it's products is necessarily true. They often greatly exaggerate what their products can do just to make it sound good when they market them. ::alien::

King Shrek said:
Thank God I actually do look at the numbers and too many Macheads just don't understand that not everything Apple tells them about it's products is necessarily true. They often greatly exaggerate what their products can do just to make it sound good when they market them. ::alien::
I disagree. Every new technology introduction of course tends to exaggregate. But once you test the software, there is no other prove that is needed. If my software runs much better on my mac eventhough it can't compete the pc box by the clock speed and cache size, it would be darn stupid to still go for the number hype. I find it very obtuse to just believe in those numbers. PR marketing if you ask me.

Zammy-Sam said:
I disagree. Every new technology introduction of course tends to exaggregate. But once you test the software, there is no other prove that is needed. If my software runs much better on my mac eventhough it can't compete the pc box by the clock speed and cache size, it would be darn stupid to still go for the number hype. I find it very obtuse to just believe in those numbers. PR marketing if you ask me.

It matters not how well they run. The numbers do matter because you are only referring to performance of specific applications, while I am talking about overall system performance with ANY application.

What are you trying to do anyway? Get me to consider buying a G3 or G4 system? It's not worth it. I already made up my mind about a year ago; I'm going to buy an affordable G5 system and that's that. ::ha::

You won't find a system that is outperforming others in ANY application. You always need to ask yourself why you need the computer and what you gonna do with it. I am not talking you into G3 or G4 macs. My point is that currently there is no gap in performance and price in apples stores. If you want a fast system for developing games and the G5 powermac is too expensive, then a Dual G4 should do. You know, ppl developed good games in <2003 as well, where there was no G5 yet. So, thinking G5 is the only option is not really based on good research.. (also see other thread).
It's annoying to see ppl making sure statements which are based on very disoriented arguements. ::angel::
But congrats for your decission. I hope it was the best.

Affordable G5 system? That's bare bones. Instead of waiting on and on and getting all antsy, get a decent system now with enough ram and quit bellyaching.

Randman said:
Affordable G5 system? That's bare bones. Instead of waiting on and on and getting all antsy, get a decent system now with enough ram and quit bellyaching.

No. Affordable to me would have be a G5 iMac, which knowing Apple it should come in at a modest midrange computer price.

Back