Do Dashboard Widget Browsers Require Internet?

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
Do mini browsers in widget form for Dashboard require an Internet connection or can I browse the Internet in the limited widget state anywhere, regardless of Internet connection or lack thereof?

If you want to browse the internet, you'll need some kind of internet connection to do that. (period)
Of course, if you download pages that you need, and view those later, off-line, then that could be called 'browsing' I suppose. But, even those would require an internet connection to get those pages in the first place.

OK, thanks, that's what I thought. I was just confused because they have all these "browser" widgets and I was thinking what in the world is the purpose of THAT? If you STILL need Internet connection to use them, why not just use a REAL, FULL browser? I don't understand why someone would want to surf the 'net on a teeny tiny widget.

Well the link I will give is not a widget but i think you would like the free iStumbler to see about wireless access points around you.

Now about widgets needing Internet access. To me this really depends on the widget and what it is designed to do. Something like iStat Pro wouldn't need Internet access but something like Delivery status that needs to access delivery sites would need Internet access.

Thanks, Satcomer. I downloaded iStat Nano yesterday. Pretty cool widget with tons of features and doesn't take much CPU process percentage (I checked Dashboard on both iStat Nano and Activity Monitor after installing it).

As far as iStumbler goes, I was looking at that the other day but I didn't see any reason to install it since Mac OS's built-in Airport does the same thing straight from the Airport icon in the toolbar. If I click on it, I can see all the available wireless networks in the area and their signals. Unless I'm missing something, iStumbler doesn't do anything that the Airport icon doesn't show....... correct?

iStumbler shows a lot more detail about connections, including the possibility to show actual locations of the wireless access point/router (don't know how accurate that would be) - also shows the router manufacturer, etc.
Some users really like the signal histogram that you can display for each network.

Or - go with another product, such as Kismac, that can display any hidden wireless networks (not just the visible networks), which you may or may not be able to access.

The reason why I use the safari widgets or whatever they're called is because I just want to view a bunch of small parts of multiple pages at one time. I love how it auto updates as well. I use it most for sports websites that don't have any widgets. Basically I use them for parts of websites that don't require any interaction and I would just like to be updates.

Back