Do I need to reformat my TM backup that I used prior to MM2 and Ventura?

TuckerdogAVL

Registered
I have a TM backup from Monterey and my MacMini Fusion (2014). Do I need to reformat as APFS? Or can I just run TM and all the old info will be overwritten. I assume it's not going to do an incremental since it's a new computer, right? I'm just worried about overwriting the backup that exists for the old computer prior to getting a fresh backup, since anything (and often does) go wrong. If the only way to do it is to reformat, and start fresh, then so be it. This is sort of confusing because I can't tell if it's saying it will use the existing external and continue backing up, leaving the old ones and adding on, or whether I am required to get a new external anyway. And if the former is the case, how do you access old computer backups on the new computer?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 2.00.04 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-24 at 2.00.04 PM.png
    67.1 KB · Views: 1
IMHO APFS is only for SSDs or NVME externals ONLY! If it is a traditional drive consider getting a SSD before you use APFS! If your internal is still a tradional old style hard drive still use HFS plus for traditional drives!

The attachment actually tells you your answer.
Choose "Claim existing backup" if the other computer no longer needs these backups. (The existing backup will be retained, and converted for use with your new Mac. You no longer will be using that drive to back up your older Mac, won't need the old backup now, or you are simply getting rid of the old Mac.)
or
Choose "Start separate backups" to start new backups for this computer and preserve the other computer's backups. (your existing backup will be kept in its existing form, and a new backup will be started automatically for your new Mac. If you connect the backup drive to your old Mac, and it is ready for a TIM backup update, it will do that as normal. Your new Mac will also be backed up by TM on the same drive.
Don't know if TM will automatically change the backup volume to APFS, if your TM drive is a spinning hard drive.
If there IS a changeover to APFS, on an SSD, TM should handle that for you.

Here's a question: If I choose "Start separate" (and we're assuming there's enough space left on the 2TB), can I delete the old/other computer's backups at a later date? I'm thinking it might be wise to keep the other mac around "just in case" but after awhile, to claim back the space on the external. Or, is TM going to go all wonky if I try to "just simply" delete old TMs from the old mac mini at a later date that have been living on the external drive with the new MM2 backups.

Last edited:
Yes, you may drag any of the TM folders to the trash and empty it any time you choose, BUT, be advised, it takes a loooong time to empty the trash. (Been there--done that! :) )

Here's a question: If I choose "Start separate" (and we're assuming there's enough space left on the 2TB), can I delete the old/other computer's backups at a later date? I'm thinking it might be wise to keep the other mac around "just in case" but after awhile, to claim back the space on the external. Or, is TM going to go all wonky if I try to "just simply" delete old TMs from the old mac mini at a later date that have been living on the external drive with the new MM2 backups.

Look at the shareware VueScan and see if can help your old scanner!

Look at the shareware VueScan and see if can help your old scanner!
Where did you see a question about a scanner? Unless I completely missed the subject of this thread, OP was asking about how to proceed with an already-existing TM backup on a new Mac. No scanner there. But, I suppose there's always a scanner, right?
Maybe you actually responded to another thread (without referring to that thread).
Makes responding again a bit confusing.

Is the answer, yes, if you want to do "Start New," keeping the old on the same external for awhile, then dump it later, you can. But, if you do that and drag to the trash, it will take forever.

Correct?

Follow up: Will the new backup do what it's supposed to do and delete older backups as space is needed anywho?

Back