Does Anyone Still Have Their iBook G4?

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
If so:

1. How does it run?
2. Any problems with it?
3. Any problems with the keys wearing off on the keyboard?

i'm on my g4 ibook right now, as the new imac is fritzing. it hasn't given me problems. a little slow sometimes, but its a basic computer putting up with my design programs just fine.

cosmetically, there is not a scratch or worn key. i've had it as my everyday computer for at least 3 years too.

I still have my iBook G3 700 Mhz - running on the original battery!

I put an airport card in it and was running it from the powerbook backup volume on my
external FW drive (internal iBook drive is dead), but it will no longer boot since i upgraded
the PB from Tiger to Leopard.

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies! The reason I asked about the keys is because I have a 2004 iBook G4 and had to take it into the Apple store for two keyboard replacements (free of charge because it was still under warranty). I kept the last keyboard a couple years but, dammit, the darn keys wore off - again! So, I took it back to the Apple store (just three weeks ago) and talked to the manager and told him about my ongoing problem of the keys wearing off and he was nice enough to do it "one last time for free" (my warranty expired a long time ago now).

I'm hoping that what happened was that Apple made a bad batch of keyboards that easily wear off and because my first two keyboard replacements were so close together, maybe they were from the same bad batch. I'm hoping this one - since it's about two years apart from the other two - is from a different batch and will be fine. So far, so good...

g/re/p said:
I still have my iBook G3 700 Mhz - running on the original battery!

:eek: How is that even possible??? LOL

Rhisiart said:
Yes and the keys are in great condition. The iBook itself is dead. May it rest in peace.

Dead??? How? What happened? iBooks are known to last forever. I know many people who are still using their old Clamshell iBooks - and still running great. And that's amazing to me!

My iBook G4 is fine. Runs 10.4.11. The only thing wrong is that one of the plastic sliding keyboard retaining clips has fallen off.

Very odd! It seems I'm the only one having problems with the keys wearing off. I - and everyone at the Apple store - is baffled. Well, like I said, I'm hoping that it was just a bad batch of keyboards (original and first two replacements), and since this third replacement was years after the other replacements, I'm hoping that it's from a different batch and will not be defective like the others.

It's been about four or five weeks now. So far, so good...

The keys wearing off was a hotly-discussed issue when the iBook G4s were popular.

Some speculate that chemicals seem to wear the keys off faster than normal, and it was suggested to:

1) Not use lotions, creams or cleaners on your hands, as the chemicals in those products can accelerate the wear and tear of the ink on the keys. I think this was key in determining how long it took before the keys wore off -- lotions and creams being the worst offenders possible.
2) Wash your hands before using the computer -- natural human skin oil (compounded with dirt) accelerates the deterioration of the ink on the keys as well.
3) Clean your keyboard with only a damp, soft cloth; no cleaners or Windex allowed.

ElDiabloConCaca,

Thank you for your reply! I was using a lot of hand sanitizer and lotions, so maybe that's my culprit. I actually had thought of that possibility, but then I thought, "Nah, that wouldn't make that much of an impact." Maybe I was wrong. Ever since this keyboard replacement, I've been extra careful: I don't use lotions or hand sanitizers before using my iBook, and I always wash my hands before that first keystroke. I want this keyboard to last!

I do have one question, though: You mentioned only cleaning the keyboard with a "damp cloth." What about Nice 'n' Clean Anti-Static cleaning wipes? I've been using that product for years - on my LCD screen and my keyboard as well as the exterior of my laptop. This product is specifically designed to clean laptop screens and keyboards, so I'm assuming it's safe. What are your thoughts on this? An anti-static cloth dampened with water just doesn't cut it. I've used that before and it doesn't clean the keyboard properly nor get all the streaks off the screen.

This may sound silly but I keep a bottle of talcum powder and a rag near my machine. My hands can get a bit sweaty and the touchpad is easier to use when my fingers don’t stick.

Also, I know that no one else ever eats when they’re at their keyboard but I do, a little talcum powder and a wipe with the towel helps me keep the keys cleaner. White keycaps are hard enough to keep clean anyway.

My iBook is still churning away, now the property of my daughter. The letters aren't wearing off any more than they might - she touch-types at around 85 wpm.

The thing I do struggle with is the charger. We are on the third opening and resealing of the little no-longer-so-white box (it always shorts out at the same place, you know where). I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't get junker charger tails from Mr Apple here.

Last week my MacBook gave up at the same point, and I feel like the connector side is stressing out too.

I don't know, but I think these kinds of problems could give anyone sweaty palms :D

I've never had any problems with my charger - and I'm still using the original.

yeah - it's an abuse thing, though I don't feel I am rougher than I should be able to be. And then there was the time that a 220 outlet was mis-wired to 440. Ooh the smoke! But that was my G3 iBook adapter (the g3 was working fine - on it's third motherboard :D - right up till it died one fine December morning).

My keyboard is good as new on my iMac G4 as well the charger & battery. I don't know exactly how old maybe close to 3yr old notebook. Knock on wood.

Back