Does this look good for an Mp3 Player?

This is an Mp3 Player I've made

• Wow love it! :-)

• Needs more work

• Get off your ass and start workin to make this App better

• Disgusting.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Eh, I think it's ok -- I'm assuming it's something you're working on -- either a skin for some MP3 player or a completely new app you're programming.

It's a start -- I think the interface needs a little refinement, but it looks like you're onto something good there. A few suggestions? Get those options away from the border of the "orb." Just my $.02, but I think that having the options/buttons not "blend in" or "fit in" with the design of the application shows that the interface needs tweaking. Look at iTunes and the play/forward/reverse buttons. Nice.

Honestly, I wouldn't use it either because, well, there is iTunes after all, which is for the most part bug free as far as I know. But it will be good experience for you to get your hands dirty with programming. I think you would be better off finding a niche for your programming skills via a program that doesn't even exist yet that has some usefullness for someone out there. I know this can be diffiecult, but people do think of programs that are useful that haven't been thought of before. I have my own little project that will be released when I'm finished with it, and only when I'm finished with it.

make it look nicer and i'd use it...

is it the "Angela Project"?

just wondering... noticed it behind the transparent mp3 player

ElDiabloConCaca - Yeah, this is a completely new
Mp3 Player I've been working on. What do you mean "get those options away from the orb?"

julguribye - If it's cool, why wouldn't you use it?

chemistry_geek - I know I know. I want to make a better mp3 player than iTunes. It just doesn't cut it for the most part. I wish it had a better visualization like winamp.

BlingBling 3k12 - Thanks. Yeah it is the "Angela Project."

I'm naming it after this girl Angela I used to knew. I carved her name into my arm. aw Love...

-whitesaint

Originally posted by whitesaint
ElDiabloConCaca - Yeah, this is a completely new
Mp3 Player I've been working on. What do you mean "get those options away from the orb?"

julguribye - If it's cool, why wouldn't you use it?

chemistry_geek - I know I know. I want to make a better mp3 player than iTunes. It just doesn't cut it for the most part. I wish it had a better visualization like winamp.

BlingBling 3k12 - Thanks. Yeah it is the "Angela Project."

I'm naming it after this girl Angela I used to knew. I carved her name into my arm. aw Love...

-whitesaint

Love, severe psychotic tendencies, whatever. :D I like how it looks, but it's gonna have to do a lot to be able to take over iTunes. I guess if it takes up less than 50% of my CPU time, I'll try it out.

Whitesaint,

If you want to make a really good MP3 player that many people around here have been asking for, make a command line MP3 player. I would really like to be able to listen to MP3s through the command line. Why? Less CPU hoggage. I don't need fancy graphics to listen to music. Would be nice just to type a few commands to get the MP3 player working. A play list could be put together by dropping the the file into the terminal then copying the path to a text editor for the play list. Type a command and see the playlist spew out on to the terminal with a number associated with it. Type another command and the number, sort of like using "ps ax" to get the processes and typing "kill xxx" to kill the offending program, to get it to play. Type another command to get MP3 info, etc... Type another command, get info/settings for the song, adjust bass, treble, preamp, cross-fading etc... You get the idea. This would be a boon to all those UNIX head junkies. Who knows, ths project could really put you on the map in the open source community - THE ONLY COMMAND LINE MP3 PLAYER WHOSE PRIMARY BENEFIT IS LOW CPU USAGE. This would be a good niche target audience. Most companies have no interest in making a PLAIN MP3 player. But the geeks would really appreciate a nice piece of software that is simple and easy to use.

Another idea, create the command line MP3 player to work in its own environment, much like PICO and PINE. Then you could have multiple terminals open, one for your MP3 player, one for IRC, BitchX, chatting. Another terminal for OS hacking, still another for compiling. I can just see it now [Harps playing, scratching chin David Letterman-style]...

That would kick ass! Go for that! Command Line.

One question about the graphics of your MP3 player. what is that gray stuff in the middle? It looks like gray paint dripping down.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but that looks A LOT like one of the skins of Windoze Media Player... just because you can "do" round windows, doesn't mean they add anything to the user experience. In fact, I associate "round" media windows with impenetrable error messages concerning codecs that can't be found ;) And there are gonna be more... anyone checked out VB for .NET? (It's pants)

I agree that if you're just learning how to program, that it might as well be an MP3 player, but if you're actually trying to compete with what's out there, you don't have much of a chance.

iTunes is free...which makes it hard to compete with it, and products like Audion are VERY robust, so you'd have to really come up with some innovative features for it to be a compelling switch for most.

Woohoo, Angela is not dead yet, I was beginning to think you had put the project to sleep, please let me download...

A command-line mp3 players rocks! I think you should program one. If that one is in Cocoa, then it will be easy.

The colors look a little wierd and it looks like shuffle doesn;t reall fit in the window but unless you let us beta test it we can't really tell what its like to use it. Also there should be a way to organize your music like in iTunes if you don't have that. :)

No offense, but making an mp3 player is fairly useless unless you can really "think dieefernt" and make something totally new. If you want a better visualizer for itunes, download G-Force, it integrates seamlessly with itunes
http://www.55ware.com

Originally posted by chemistry_geek
Whitesaint,

If you want to make a really good MP3 player that many people around here have been asking for, make a command line MP3 player. I would really like to be able to listen to MP3s through the command line. Why? Less CPU hoggage. I don't need fancy graphics to listen to music. Would be nice just to type a few commands to get the MP3 player working. A play list could be put together by dropping the the file into the terminal then copying the path to a text editor for the play list. Type a command and see the playlist spew out on to the terminal with a number associated with it. Type another command and the number, sort of like using "ps ax" to get the processes and typing "kill xxx" to kill the offending program, to get it to play. Type another command to get MP3 info, etc... Type another command, get info/settings for the song, adjust bass, treble, preamp, cross-fading etc... You get the idea. This would be a boon to all those UNIX head junkies. Who knows, ths project could really put you on the map in the open source community - THE ONLY COMMAND LINE MP3 PLAYER WHOSE PRIMARY BENEFIT IS LOW CPU USAGE. This would be a good niche target audience. Most companies have no interest in making a PLAIN MP3 player. But the geeks would really appreciate a nice piece of software that is simple and easy to use.

Another idea, create the command line MP3 player to work in its own environment, much like PICO and PINE. Then you could have multiple terminals open, one for your MP3 player, one for IRC, BitchX, chatting. Another terminal for OS hacking, still another for compiling. I can just see it now [Harps playing, scratching chin David Letterman-style]...

Yeah, that would for sure become popular. I'd use it. Charge $6.66 for it, and the money would roll in ;)

If Microsoft had made a MP3 player with ideas stolen from Mac OS X, the result would be something like that. :D

Sorry to be negative, but you asked for opinions!

I like my Mac because everything about it is more elegant than a PC. However, your MP3 player looks like just another PC MP3 player. I want to listen to my MP3's - not look at the thing that plays them.

In my view MP3 players should be heard and not seen.

Small, simple, clean!

(oh yeah - like iTunes)

Back