don't "switch"

Originally posted by RacerX
As it was a problem with the nVIDIA hardware and nothing else (I had one client running off an ATI Rage 128 out of an old B&W without any problems during that time) I called nVIDIA for support. They told me that they do not write the drivers for the Mac OS and that I should talk with Apple.
If you have a PC with a Ati Rage on board and call Ati about your problem, they will tell you that you have to call the motherboard manufacturor, although they do the drivers and give them to their licencees.
Apple and nVidia are working together on those drivers. If Apple would do these drivers on their own, I really wouldn't want one of these inside a Mac.

Besides, isn't nVIDIA an OEM vender for Apple? All I'm saying is that Apple is forced to eat the cost of supporting hardware (as are many makers of operating systems) while venders are tripping over themselves trying to make drivers for Windows and in some cases paying Microsoft to include them with Windows so their products can be plug-n-play.

So are you saying this isn't the case? Or are you saying you don't see this as an advantage for Microsoft (or at the least a major disadvantage for Apple and the others)?

Sure this is an advantage for Microsoft.
But what I said is that Microsoft forces noone to make drivers for their OS. They don't have to. nVidia is a company that is really big on the PC side, and has a good name. Apple wanted to have nVidia on the Mac side, so they have to do something for that. nVidia is not selling hardware for themselves, they only develop technology.

The transition from Windows 9x to NT took longer cause Microsoft wanted to let the old DOS programs to die out.
They are not stuffing a new OS down the throats of developers (I know, this is too harsh, it isn't that bad, but you get the idea).

I am no Microsoft fan. I don't like Microsoft. But I don't like Apple (as an enterprise) either.

the transition took longer because the software vendors told bill to go to hell. To be frank... This is why it's been a slow transition away from 16-bit programs to true 32 bit programs on the microsoft side.

Intel has been yelling at Microsoft to go 64 bit for quite sometime... but MS has been slow to comply... yes they have Itanuim out there... but the fact is MS is the one who has been telling intel what to do lately... That hurts...

As for apple... I am happy... The transistion is going well... Jobs, has a firmer grip on this situation...

Originally posted by Sirtovin

Intel has been yelling at Microsoft to go 64 bit for quite sometime... but MS has been slow to comply... yes they have Itanuim out there... but the fact is MS is the one who has been telling intel what to do lately... That hurts...
But isn't a 64bit version of Win 2000 out since fall 2001? :confused:

Originally posted by Tigger
But isn't a 64bit version of Win 2000 out since fall 2001? :confused:

Only Windows XP... Professional... has been out in 64-bit... since early this year... 2002...

it's a shame because it's only availble for the server end systems... not yet retail wise... another words if i walked into CompUSA, or Bestbuy, and said let me buy a 64 bit Windows system... They will tell you it's special order through microsoft site...

Sad but true.

Only 64-bit version of Windows that I know of is Advance Server. If you are looking for a 64-bit workstation solution for Itanium, Linux is your only choice at this point.

And after NT 4.0 sp3 the only apps that I knew of that didn't run correctly with NT were games. As far as I could tell the only reason for 98/ME was for gamers (and until 2000 was released, USB support).

Originally posted by RacerX
Only 64-bit version of Windows that I know of is Advance Server. If you are looking for a 64-bit workstation solution for Itanium, Linux is your only choice at this point.

And after NT 4.0 sp3 the only apps that I knew of that didn't run correctly with NT were games. As far as I could tell the only reason for 98/ME was for gamers (and until 2000 was released, USB support).

Racer... Got to correct you sorta... The only games that will work on NT are Microsoft games and a few WestWood games... but's that it... Microsoft always makes sure their games work with all their systems... :)

Back