DVD-RW Problem with iMac G4

SAbsar

Mac Graduate
Hi.
My original ComboDrive just failed me a few weeks ago, so today I went to the local Authorized Apple Service somthing( ;) ) and had it replaced by a Sony DRU-710A which is, in plain english, a DVD-RW drive (supports both +R and -R, so no troubles there).

So, the problem is that iTunes and the Finder won't burn to that drive (even though its internally installed and Roxio Toast works fine). iTunes still shows the burner as the old TOSHIBIA combo drive thing.
(System Profiler shows the new SONY drive, though)

Is there any way to make iTunes see the new drive?

Also, I'm unable to install the iLife DVD :(

Help me out!
Thanks in advance!

heh hey!! that worked! :D thanks man!
just one thing, though! iLife still wont install! it says that one of the following apps is open (and then lists all iLife apps), and that it wont install until they are closed. the trouble is, none of them are open! :(

Look at the search lasso and don't put your Mac model in. Also, did you try re-starting (after the PatchBurn install) and have no applications open, then try to install iLife.

Try quitting the "iTunes Helper" process from Activity Monitor, then try the install. iLife is mistakenly thinking that iTunes is still running because of this small process -- just quit it and everything should install fine.

Or, you could simply log out, then log back in while holding down the Shift key until your Desktop appears. This will prevent any startup items (like iTunes Helper) from starting up, and the iLife install should work.

hey thanks EDCC (sorry, but its just easier to spell it this way :) ) that iTunes helper thing worked! :D

now im happy! :) WHEEEE!

Hi EDCC. I just boughta SONY DRU-710A with the intention of installing it in a G4 dual 500 under 10.2.8. I've followed this discussion with interest and would appreciate any guidance you could provide re this installation. TIA

No problem at all -- here's an illustrated guide on how to install a new optical drive in a G4 tower machine:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/hival52x/install.html

Basically, you unhinge the faceplace, unscrew a screw, take out the carrier, swap drives, then put it all back together. A novice should be able to accomplish it in under 30 minutes, give or take...

Then, grab yourself a copy of "PatchBurn" ( http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25100 ) if the drive is not recognized as "Apple-supported" in the System Profiler to add native burn support.

Write back or private message me with any questions you have! I'd be glad to help.

Back