Educational discounts

Rhisiart

Registered
A colleague, who works for a UK university, is thinking of buying a Mac.

She has been told that if she presents proof of her job as a lecturer she is entitled to 2% off the retail price.

I thought educational discounts were higher than this. Can anyone comment?

rhisiart said:
A colleague, who works for a UK university, is thinking of buying a Mac.

She has been told that if she presents proof of her job as a lecturer she is entitled to 2% off the retail price.

I thought educational discounts were higher than this. Can anyone comment?

It varies depending on the product. For a Mac I would expect it to be higher though, hold on.

EDIT: Okay, found this. It just says Higher Education, not sure if there are different discounts for students and lecturers.

http://www.is.stir.ac.uk/documentation/HE Price List 20_10_04.pdf

Is she getting the Apple directly from Apple? You usually have to do this in order to get an edu discount, unless the reseller offers some discount. Apple's discount doesn't carry over to retailers/resellers.

There's no paperwork needed most of the time if you do it online via Apple's online store -- simply configure the computer normally, check the price, then log into the Educational Store (there's a link on the store page) and do the same to compare prices.

In my experience, there wasn't one, flat percentage discount -- some computers were discounted $100, others $200, but not equalling one, constant percentage. For example, with Apple's educational discount for my school, I can get a 512MB shuffle for $99 (0% discount), or a 1GB shuffle for $119 (~8% discount). Same with computers -- some discounts are bigger than others.

Back