Eject Key not working

cory1848

Registered
I friend on mine just bought a used PowerMac 1.25 dual and its loaded with Panther. He cant get the eject button to eject the CD tray. Does anyone know of any way to test this? I suggested a reinstall of system software but how can he do that if he cant eject the CD drive? I Am assuming its some sort of preference gone corrupt but not sure....Need advise please...
Thanks
Cory

you can always select the drive and press Apple + E or select eject from file :)

if that works

does the eject picture come up when he presses the button?

hmmm...i think i remember reading something about the same problem in the missing manual. ill check when i get home. if its crucial you get the disk out. you can allways use a hammer. ::ha::

His keyboard isn't hooked up to a USB hub, is it? If so, it is recommened that the keyboard be connected directly to a USB port on the back of the computer (or to the USB hub in the Apple Studio Display, if he has one of those).

Do the volume keys next to the eject button work?

Dumb thing: Does he hold down the eject key for almost a second?

Yeah, yeah, I know, it's weird. But I always wondered: why does my eject key only work some of the time? and then I realized, it's not like the other keys on the keyboard: you can't just tap it. You have to hold it down a little, like your power key.

At least... I felt dumb, anyway.

The hold the eject key down is for iBook and Powerbook keyboards only, as they double as another key (F12 on my iBook)

I press the eject key on the iMac and it doesnt need held down :confused:

still can always try :D

I have a Pioneer Superdrive and it never ejects after going to sleep. The drive just disappears from the desktop when I try to eject. So, the only way to eject is to reboot. And yes, I tried to move the thingy on the back of the Drive and it did nothing.

Something I'd check is whether the drive is still recognized by Apple Hardware Profiler.

I had a similar problem a while ago with my iMac. I thought it was that my eject key was malfunctioning but infact, it was that my Combo drive had failed.

Luckily, randomly, a week and a half later I tapped eject by accident to find my system back to normal. The giveaway was that tapping the eject key didn't bring up the eject overlay image like it usually does.

Something to check out.

Back