Entourage sync with mobile devices on Snow Leopard

robyn1

Registered
Hi All,
if there are any Mac users who sync Entourage with their mobile devices, are still running Tiger OSX and considering upgrading to Snow Leopard please note:
- Leopard and Snow Leopard now have an integrated 'Sync Services' that synchronises iCal, Entourage, Mobile Me (was .mac) and mobile devices.
- while this works fine for Contacts, it does not work for Entourage Calendars and Tasks.
- there are a multitude of articles on the net requesting solutions to this problem.
- at present, if you upgrade past Tiger, you will not be able to sync your Entourage tasks with your mobile device, regardless of your sync software. (I have checked out different sync packages.)
- there is no evidence that Apple or Microsoft are working to find a solution. I expect that they will not attempt to do so.

- If someone has a definitive, proven solution to this, please post here. I will also post here if I'm proven wrong, or if I find a solution.

Satcomer, do you have this working? Does it sync Tasks between Entourage and a mobile device? Does it retain the Categories when it does this?

Guys, this is an issue with Entourage Tasks & Categories and Apple Sync Services that is known and documented and not solved simply by any of the applications on the market. Please, I'm requesting replies from people who have implemented a solution that they use for syncing Entourage Tasks (& categories) with a Windows Mobile PDA or similar.

Well, it's been several months and I've looked for and tried several things for syncing my Windows Mobile (WM) PDA with Entourage on my Mac.

For WM, I have several applications that are windows-only (like the Australian version of quicken) and so will need to continue to do 2 syncs - one with the Mac and one with Windows in Parallels. So, any Mac Sync program will have to let my PDA connect to the Mac and Parallels/Windows separately.

What I've come up with is:
- if any sync application uses Apple Sync Services, then it won't sync Entourage categories or tasks properly
- in my opinion, iCal ToDos/Events are inadequate for managing my events, tasks, projects and the rest. For me, Entourage Tasks and Categories are the best way to manage these on my PDA.
- I'm prepared to use a cloud-based store if it lets me sync my contacts, calendars and tasks (by category) at the same time. However, the closest one is Google and that is following the iCal-type of todos, which are inadequate for my needs and don't sync anyway. For me, they're out on the first strike.
- The Missing Sync, my previous sync program, now uses Apple Sync Services and even though it looks like they have the capability to sync between Entourage and WM, their support doesn't provide that. Emails to others in the company have been fruitless. I've had to give away what was once a great product.
- PocketMac is now the only way for me to sync Entourage with WM. However, it creates a network port and so disables any other sync with Parallels or other. I'm currently investigating bluetooth sync with Parallels, but this isn't looking promising due to bluetooth issues with Parallels.

So my suggestions are...
- If you have a WM device, don't count on syncing with your Mac unless you only want to sync using PocketMac and give away syncing your other WM programs
- If you have a Mac, don't get a WM PDA
- If you use your PDA to manage your todos/tasks/projects/life, Apple iCal is probably not going to cut it but WM and Outlook/Entourage probably will.
- If, like me, you have a WM PDA and a Mac and want to stay that way, either please let me know if you can get the Parallels bluetooth going with the syncs: Mac using PocketMac and Parallels/Windows using Bluetooth).

Regards,
Robyn1

Back