Error code -36

gapjunction

Registered
I am trying to back up my computer (MacBook Pro; OS 10.4.11) onto a lacie hard drive....

just recently (the last month or two) I have been getting this error message:

the finder cannot complete the operation because some data in (then it gives the file name) could not be read or written (error code -36)

What does this mean?
Why did it just start happening?
How can I fix this?

thanks

Lee

Make sure you're not overfilling your Lacie - AFAIK, there needs to be at least 15% free space available at all times.

... there needs to be at least 15% free space available at all times.

That doesn't apply to a simple storage drive. Free space is needed for your booting hard drive partition.
And, the 15% figure is just a rule of thumb, not a hard & fast rule. Would you need to leave 150 GB of free space on a 1TB hard drive? Is 150 GB enough? OS X does not use a percentage, but does begin warning when a specific amount of space is reached. I think the number is still about 250 MB (way too low, but not based on the size of the drive, either, AFAIK). I'm not going to recommend something under 1GB, and the 15% figure is likely a reasonable figure, but not a real requirement by the system.

I wasn't aware of any requirements for free space on an external HD but had come across this similar thread on another forum. Reference Post # 2:

I don't know what the problem is, but error -36 is listed as being "I/O error (bummers)" and often (as you say) indicates a hardware problem.

Maybe try erasing and reformatting that disk.

And note that it is never a good idea to completely fill up a disk (you mentioned having only a few KB left) as disks slow down enormously (and encounter much more wear & tear) the closer they get to being full. I'd recommend leaving at least 10% space on all disks - and preferably 20%.

The member that posted this seems credible so I thought it might help the OP here.

The full thread:

Error -36 when copying to FireWire drive

The OP's final post at the above thread:

Hi, I solved my own problem reading your posts: I had an error -36 when copying on an almost full external partition (usb 2.0, HFS+) ... It results that, as you say, the hard drive doesn't like it when you try to fill its last Gb! I deleted some old folders to save some 500 Mb and then I could copy without error. So try this before losing your time with disk utilities and reformat !! Thanks for the tips...

I'm getting this error trying to copy from my old iBook G3 Hard Drive. I took the drive out after the iBook stopped working and installed it into a Drive Enclosure. It mounts fine, but Entourage X won't copy files.

Back