Everything the iPhone Can't Do, Let's Talk!

ScottW

Founder
Staff member
I, among others, have got caught up in the iPhone hype. I want one, I do, and I will be in line at some location in Kansas City tomorrow to get my paws on one of these things.

But, what I find most interesting about the hype, is not the focus on the amazing product it is, but the product it isn't. With it's "as-is" feature set, the iPhone is an amazing product. No one doubts it and two companies, have bet the farm on this product, namely Apple and ATT. They have bragging rights, and no one else does, and therefore, the mud starts flying.

I have decided to compile a list of everything the iPhone can't do, afterall, when we purchase any product, we don't look for features, we look for features it doesn't have. For example, when I was looking at purchasing a car, I asked the Salesman, "Will it accept water as fuel?" After all, only the latest vehicles should be conscious that at some date, after I die, my kids die and their grandkid's kids, grandkids, will indeed face an even more likely hood that oil will not exist at some point in their family's future.

So, rabbit trails aside, here we go... feel free to add to the list.

What the iPhone Doesn't Do:

• Run on every possible wireless carrier in the world
  • Doesn't support technology that doesn't exist
  • Doesn't have a 365 day battery with optional replacement battery for when that one runs out next year.
  • Doesn't include a retractable antenna, even my 80's radio had one!
  • Doesn't have keys to push, I am a touch typist
  • Doesn't run Windows, Linux or BeOS
  • Doesn't include a GPS
  • Isn't expandable, One screen size does not fit all!!
  • Does not support Firefox! (down with iPhone)
  • 3rd party app development is questionable, limited to Web 2.0 feature set. Doesn't support Web 5.7.
  • Lycos is not the default search engine
  • Costs more than phones that may have same, but obviously more features than the iPhone.
  • Doesn't support my companies "insert VPN name here"
  • Doesn't allow you to run Quake
  • Limited memory/storage, afterall, all phones have more than 8GB of storage for much less!!
  • Must be 18 or older to buy one, must have employed parent
  • No GigEthernet support
  • No 802.11n support
  • My Plasma 98" super-wide double-layered Home TV is bigger than the iPhone's screen
  • Requires Standard 2-year contract (lame lame lame)
  • No stylus or mouse included
  • Goes on sale at 6pm, why not 5pm? Come on Apple! Think about those in line with curfews!
  • Nikon makes a better 10megapixel camera than the stupid iPhone camera.
  • Moving objects in still photos blur.
  • Tripod NOT included
  • 8-track support lacking
  • Doesn't Run Eudora or Pine for Mail
  • Who needs Bluetooth, I want RedLips support!
  • Vibrate feature, doesn't work good enough
  • If you drop it from a 10-story building, it breaks into small pieces
  • Doesn't include Super Breakout, PacMac or Pitfall.
  • No solar array or renewable energy built-in
  • Costs more than I have in my bank account
  • I spent more on a game station and games, but iPhone still BIG $$$
  • In 2020, the iPhone will be much cheaper and support much more, I'm waiting until then.

If you have more, let me know! Geeezz.... who wants an iPhone now!

- You cannot wear your iPhone on your wrist like a watch
- You cannot eat your iPhone, even if you are very hungry
- It doesn't have an efficient anti-gravitation engine
- It cannot transfer you to the Enterprise commandership
- It does not serve as ATM
- It has no printer
- No Sirius radio included
- No hard disk
- No perfume dispenser
- Not even hot enough to cook you coffee
- Does not fly (at least not for a long period)
- No wheels (what is the purpose of a GPS on a device that doesn't have a motor and a steering wheel ?)
- Does it explode when overloaded ?

Main weakness: it does not carry a nice silver "D" "E" "L" "L" logo

- it doesn't support Ogg Vorbis, Apple should make that their main audio format!
- the interface is too easy to use. We need more menus, multiple buttons to confirm, and Microsoft Windows CE.
- It is incompatible with my Palm applications
- Only professionals watch videos using Real Media Player
- Microsoft said it was going to fail and they made the revolutionary Zune so they must be right
- Mac makes computers, iPod makes music players, and AT&T makes the iPhone. Who is Apple? :rolleyes:

Hey I wonder. Is Fryke looking at a small laptop that works like the Palm Foleo?

Hey I wonder. Is Fryke looking at a small laptop that works like the Palm Foleo?

I've commented on that in another thread, but yeah, I do. I'm also interested in the iPhone, of course. Might make my next small device indeed. But I'm waiting for clear information on what comes to Europe at the end of this year (UMTS or same old 2.5G as in the USA?), what the contract's going to be like etc.

About the foleo: It's not exactly what I'd want. They're talking about 5h of battery life, but I get _that_ from my MacBook with a good battery, so it's kinda _exactly_ what I've _not_ been talking about all these years. From the outset, though, it kinda looks like it does what I'd need. Small device, full keyboard. That's about all I need.

But back to the iPhone: I'm not really an iPhone hater, I'm just one who's been extensively trying out new smartphones in recent years, and yep the iPhone is *not* all that a good smartphone can do. That doesn't mean I think Apple can't do better. I'm pretty sure the things the iPhone _does_ it does well.
But the thread's got it right: It's about the things it _doesn't_ do. Not letting 3rd party devs go crazy on the device is a mistake in my opinion. It seems their main issue is stability. Kinda goes against hammering on about how stable OS X is. The iPhone done right could've had 250+ 3rd party apps selling well at the time of release. They could've added a Cocoa iPhone SDK and one of those "just check this checkbox and – boom! – your app's compiled for iPhone!"-checkbox thingies to Xcode a few months ago. They could have made such apps only installable through the iTunes Store. Could've made apps pass some kind of test by Apple even. Apple could've taken a dollar or two from the end user price for checking such software. People who buy phones that cost 500+ dollars would surely pay 15 or 20 bucks for a decent text editor or little bookkeeping app or a great little game etc.

I'm not saying the iPhone's a failure. I'm just saying Apple could've done quite a bit more. I'll probably still get one as soon as it arrives in Switzerland, even if it means switching from Orange, mobile phone network provider of my choice for years and years. If iPhone goes Orange in Europe, even better. If it'll come unlocked in some variant, even better.

Does not having 3G connectivity let it down badly?

In the local market, AT&T increased Edge speed to around 200kbps. At that speed it works just fine.

Interestingly, I saw a review this morning that said... while loading pages on another "smart phone" might be faster, those pages are usually useless in their formatting and usability.

That really sums it up. While it could be faster, I like the battery life and usability of the device over the connection speed.

Then again, that wasn't Apple's decision process. It wasn't "Oh, we'd have to let go of its usability for 3G...". ;) But I get what you mean. It's not like I couldn't live with 2G speeds. I _do_ right now. It just seems so last century to introduce something like the iPhone now with the "old technology".

Doesn't have a 365 day battery with optional replacement battery for when that one runs out next year.

San Jose Mercury News, USA - 7 hours ago

The company has said the battery should last 300 to 400 full charges before it needs to be replaced.

FTCR (Foundation for Taxpayers and Consumer Rights) founder Harvey Rosenfield wrote:

"...to ensure that no customers are misled concerning the performance and effective cost of the unit."

• "Under the iPhone's standard one-year warranty, Apple will replace the battery free of charge if it drops below 50 percent of original capacity." (Ibid)

What Apple says: Apple - Battery

Just a little news for those with iPhones!

Regards,

CaribbeanOS-X

PS. I may see the iPhone in the Caribbean around 2010, things are a little behind down here.

OK, now I'll take my turn and chime in...

The iPhone is a wonderful product, however, the features it lacks and which I need are compelling enough for me not to purchase one until they are met:

1. GPS must be included - when I call 911 for an emergency, I want to be found NOW!!! My Motorola RAZR has GPS for 911 calls, and can be used for guiding me through traffic and between destinations, just like a Garmin Nuvi 360.

2. Speech recognition software for hands-free operation - My Motorola RAZR responds to my every command, push a button, say a command - DONE!

3. It's also an iPod, on steroids - needs much more memory; Apple aim high, very high! The iPhone needs 60 GB of RAM - minimum.

4. The 2.5 Edge network that AT&T is offering is too slow - find something faster quickly.

5. I need to be able to record voice notes to myself, send text messages, voice messages (as files), movies with sound, pictures, and be able to send these to other phones and standard email addresses.

6. I need to be able to work on text documents, either through typing or through speech recognition - one never knows when a spare moment allows for more work to get done.

7. AT&T, need I say more, I like Verizon - it's an excellent carrier - My plan is America's Choice II 900 anytime minutes, N&W and unlimited in calling for $59.99/month

Features include:
Streamlined billing - $0
Message waiting indicator
Caller ID
Busy transfer
3-way calling
call waiting
No answer transfer
Call forwarding
basic voicemail - $0
National enhanced service access (no roaming)
Pix & Flix pay per message - $0.00
In calling Natl Unlim - $0.00
Premium ntwork svc access - $0.00
New every two multi tier - $0.00
TXT message w/ per message charges.

For an extra $5.00/month, I get the Verizon internet package (unlimited access), so for basically $65/month I get an internet phone, and if I want to pay Verizon $15/month, I get its GPS package, which essentially turns my Motorola RAZR into a dumbed-down Garmin Nuvi 360. I think for what I need in a phone, and the features I have access to, the Motorola RAZR will be my phone of choice since I already own a GB-hefty video iPod, and I think by the end of the month I'm going to get the Garmin Nuvi 360, it has a touch screen interface, nothing like the iPhone, but that little device is really slick, and it connects to my Motorola RAZR via Bluetooth - too cool!

You're really workin' so hard!!! Just punchin' those timecards so that for to put food on that family... makin' that cornbread money to put on that table for sustinence... pullin' those longgg hours with that hard workin' money earned just penny'ing it away.

... when I call 911 for an emergency, I want to be found NOW!!!

It really needs to be able to use artificial intelligence to call emergencies automatically, too: "Hi, it looks like you are buried alive inside a molasses silo and dying by degrees. Would you like to call 911 (yes/no)?"

Scott,

Here is what you are looking for in the way of iPhone problems, with heart felt apologies to SNL and these folks.

Warning: Pregnant women, the elderly and children under 10 should avoid prolonged exposure to iPhone.
Caution: iPhone may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
iPhone Contains a liquid core, which, if exposed due to rupture, should not be touched, inhaled, or looked at.
Do not use iPhone on concrete.

Discontinue use of iPhone if any of the following occurs:
Itching
Vertigo
Dizziness
Tingling in extremities
Loss of balance or coordination
Slurred speech
Temporary blindness
Profuse sweating
Heart palpitations

If iPhone begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.
iPhone may stick to certain types of skin.

When not in use, iPhone should be returned to its special container and kept under refrigeration...

Ingredients of iPhone include an unknown glowing substance which fell to Earth, presumably from outer space.

iPhone has been shipped to our troops in Saudi Arabia and is also being dropped by our warplanes on Iraq.

Do not taunt iPhone.

iPhone comes with a lifetime guarantee.

iPhone

ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES!

You're really workin' so hard!!! Just punchin' those timecards so that for to put food on that family... makin' that cornbread money to put on that table for sustinence... pullin' those longgg hours with that hard workin' money earned just penny'ing it away.

You're a teenager, right? I thought that this thread was serious.

In the professional arena in general, and as a pharmaceutical scientist, I have to continually work creatively to maximize my time and efficiency for working SMARTER to KEEP my job when job cuts come every 3 to 5 years due to Corporate America's construct of a 20% turnover rate. Yes, I get paid very handsomely for a career that I truly enjoy where I use my talents and abilities to help advance humanity on this planet. Perhaps one day you'll enter the professional arena and understand my perspective of working 12 and 14 hours a day to make a difference in the world... until then, you're very likely to post little jabs at people like me who try to help others on this board and express their opinions openly in an unthreatening manner.

I have to say that MacOSX.com has changed A LOT since the early days when it was founded - it's as if some of the punk teenagers in the world have taken it over. I'm glad to have donated money to the board to give back to the community for helping me over the years... I'll think twice about it next time.

Here's Mine!
• Doesn't come in the color Brown like the Zune.
• It's not water resistant
• Does't have live TV
• Does't have AM or FM radio.
• Doesn't have an FM transmitter
• Doesn't have a subwoofer.

1. GPS must be included - when I call 911 for an emergency, I want to be found NOW!!! My Motorola RAZR has GPS for 911 calls, and can be used for guiding me through traffic and between destinations, just like a Garmin Nuvi 360.
You can forget about wanting to be found now with any phone for the moment. Either the phones themselves have sub-rate GPS capabilities, the phone is located in an area limiting it's signal (almost anytime it's not outdoors with a clear view to a certain section of sky), or the 911 systems messes up. Happens all the time. Ask anyone who's a dispatcher for a 911 system (or a FF/EMT in an emergency system) and who's honest enough to admit it, you'll get a similar answer. The system doesn't work as well as the public was lead to believe (though it is getting better).

The iPhone has GPS for emergency use (i.e. Enhanced 911). That's required by a directive from the FCC. All phones sold as of a fews years ago (2005/2006) had to meet that requirement, as well as each carrier had to have at least 95% of their customers with such a phone.

3. It's also an iPod, on steroids - needs much more memory; Apple aim high, very high! The iPhone needs 60 GB of RAM - minimum.
Why? First, it would be cost prohibitive. I'd rather not pay a couple thousand dollars for my phone, nor would most anyone else I'd imagine. Flash based memory, especially in such large sizes, isn't cheap. Still, why on earth would you need that much memory for a phone? It's not meant to be an iPod replacement nor a camera/camcorder replacement. Merely a substitute or a better yet a compliment to one.

4. The 2.5 Edge network that AT&T is offering is too slow - find something faster quickly.
That would have been nice, but the costs involved as well as the lack of really good support for 3g services in the US doesn't help. While the Edge network isn't blazing fast, it's plenty fast enough for most minor tasks (directions, e-mail, etc.) Adding the ability for WiFi was a nice bonus.

5. I need to be able to record voice notes to myself, send text messages, voice messages (as files), movies with sound, pictures, and be able to send these to other phones and standard email addresses.
You can record all the voice notes you want to yourself. It's called voicemail. It can send text messages just fine. Movies with sound from a phone is just plain ridiculous IMO. Buy a camcorder...much better quality and that's the purpose of it. The movies I've seen from even the latest phones are horrible in quality and pretty worthless to begin with. The additional cost and space requirements to add such junk would also be troublesome.

Back