Expose -- Death to tabbed browsing?

cogito

Pragmatic Dualist
With the newfound freedom of Apples Expose, has tabbed browsing already been rendered obsolete? The ability to neatly arrange all the open application windows in a tidy graphical manner tops the simplistic, textual, approach of tabbed browsing by a landslide... or does it? Has the recently new phenomenon of tabbed browsing already gone the way of dinosaurs?

let's not jump to conclusions here. tab switching is still ideal for me vs expose-switching. there isn't as much visual overhead to simply switch tabs, and i'm sure it is easier on teh processor(s) too.

Using expose is just a little too involved to be a replacement for tabbed browsing. Depending on how you use expose, (via function key or by hot corner) you may find that tabbed browsing is more simplistic.

Compare moving you mouse to the top right screen to activate expose, then navigate back to the window you want to view, and finally click on that window to view it.

Tabbed browsing you just click on the tab on the browser.

Seems that expose is so much more functional for multiple applications and multi-windowed applications.

Tabbed browsing is in no danger from expose..

Well I don't use tab browsing anymore. I even turned tab browsing off. I like using Expose to see and switch between all my browser windows.

tabs > expose [browsing].
Why bother having 20 windows open when you can have one or two windows open with tabs? Even exposé can reach a point where too many windows are open, especially if you are a habitual multitasker like me. 3 or four bbedit windows + 5 open browsers to test is what exposé was created for - tabs in safari do a better job then exposé could at taming open windows.

They complement each other perfectly. I like to keep tabs for browsing, and Expose for all other apps.

Exposé needs more keystrokes/mouse-movements, so for an efficiency-junkie like myself, tabs are the way to go for webbrowsing. Until OmniWeb 5 arrives and shows us something new/nicer/better, maybe.

I'm using Exposé for other stuff, of course.

I can't wait for exposé. I've been practicing the F9-F11 keys! What would you guys say is the best finger - middle, ring or pinky? I would say all three - depending on whether you want F9 F10 or F11.

I could never stand hot corners even to put my computer to sleep, and I'm sure much less put the mouse up there and then just bring it down again. I don't even like mice! Can you navigate exposé with the keypad, or maybe the arrow keys? That would rock hardcore!

Mr. K: yeah, you can do it with the F9/F10/F11 keys I think. You might be able to set your own... I'm not sure. I'll find out once I get Mac OS v10.3 :D

Definitely, Expose is cool, but definitely doesn't replace Tabbed browsing.

I've got Expose buttons assigned to my Intellimouse Explorer buttons... middle one for show all windows, "forward" button to show the desktop, "back" button to show application windows. Works like a charm and I don't even need to take my hand off the mouse.

Plus, I like the ability to click once quickly and have the Expose feature "stick" until I click again.

What about Safari having a mini-Expose feature? Activate the mini-Expose in Safari and it'll show you mini windows of all the tabs inside the browser window... yeah? Maybe not... hehe... ;)

Sorry, I'm usually a stickler for adding that accent mark over the last 'e' in Expose, but I just got Yellow Dog up and running quite well on my old 8500 and I've been tinkering with it for the last few days and the keyboard doesn't work exactly the same as in some Apple OS. If anyone has an older Mac and they aren't satisfied with OS X via XPostFacto on it, I highly recommend taking a look at Yellow Dog!

ElDiabloConCaca said:
What about Safari having a mini-Expose feature? Activate the mini-Expose in Safari and it'll show you mini windows of all the tabs inside the browser window... yeah? Maybe not... hehe... ;)

I like that idea....it could popup a nice window showing all your tabs even...w00p, that would be great.

OK, so what I really want to know is after activating exposé, lets say I want to change from one window to another. F9, then can I use the arrows to move one window at a time? How about I activate F10 to show the windows from the active application, then can I command-tab to another application and see what windows are open there?
Exposé does sound really coolé...

Since catching this thread I started playing around with Expose within Safari exclusively. It seems that from a freshly launched Safari, when you open 5 or 6 windows, they will line up in a horizontal row. Once you cross a threshold (I think it's 6 windows) the open windows will instead spread themselves around the screen (not lined up). This makes sense, because you start not being able to tell what's going with ever-shrinking windows. It's nice for the software to fit the windows in as big as they will go, but the action is different each time.
It gets funny when you start playing with what windows you activate. Right now I have three windows open, and every time I activate expose, they go to different places on the screen. This doesn't exactly make me feel good about using it for a highly repetitive task such as tab switching.
It's a cool feature for many windows between apps, but seems limited to that for now.

The arrow keys move from window to window. And you can use all four, then return to go to the one you want.

I hear what you're saying... Expose doesn't exactly get rid of the clutter of windows, it just makes it a little more manageable.

Try playing around with Expose with windows of different sizes -- for example, I've got iTunes stretched across the top part of the screen and mail stretched across the bottom, so they're like two rectangles on top of each other. Then I've got Safari with the vertically shaped rectangles on top of that -- Expose just puts them wherever, in no particular order.

Back