F11 key won't work

stingrayj

Registered
After 3 years my F11 key has packed up so I can't reduce volume. I have been into System Pref keyboard mouse, restored default, tried lots of suggestion on web but still no go. f12 and all other f buttons work fine.

i have not changed any hardware/software at all recently!

imac using 10.58 on slim aluminium standard full size apple keyboard

Unplug the keyboard, hold it up-side-down, shake vigorously, reconnect. That's worked for me several times, although not with F11.

Check to see if there is any response from that f11 key:
Hold the fn key, then press f11 a couple of times. The default is to clear windows from your desktop, then back each time you press fn - f11

Go to system preferences/international. Select input sources tab. There should a check box next to keyboard viewer (check it). Then get out of system preferences and on the menu bar on the right there should either be a flag or a new box. Click on the symbol then select show keyboard viewer. Then you will have a graphical layout of your keyboard on the screen that will show each button being pushed. At least this way you will know if the F11 key is functioning.

thanks for your support. I have followed your advise but when i go to flag on menu bar there is no option for keyboard viewer so not able to get a graphic layout.

The f11 key, for changing the volume, does not show up very well in the Keyboard Viewer anyway. Does the f11, while holding your fn key, cause the desktop windows to move off the screen?

However, your f11 key is not the only method to reduce the volume. Do you have the sound icon turned on in the menubar? You can certainly change your volume there, too...

thanks. no f11 does not cause windows to move off screen. yes I am using the volume on top right of screen for now next to clock but it's a pain...

Are you holding the fn key when you press f11? (not just f11)
That's the trick to getting the folders off the screen.

Are you holding the fn key when you press f11? (not just f11)
That's the trick to getting the folders off the screen.

Also to see what you are typing follow these steps:

1. Launch System Preferences.

2. Access the System Preferences pane, Language & Text pane.

3. In the Language & Text pane select the mini tab 'Input Sources'.

4. Then in the Input Sources mini tab put as checkmarks in "Keyboard & Character Viewer" and and then scroll down and select your country's flag.

After these steps you will see in the Finder your country's flag, click on it. Then in the drop-down select 'Show Keyboard Viewer'. A viewer will open and highlight on it the keys you press. This way you can see if the Mac sees your F11 key press.

Yes - and there's the rub!
The f11 key does not display as pressed in the Keyboard viewer, at least in the default configuration.
It either shows the volume icon (because you are attempting to change the volume), or you can hold the fn key, which makes the f11 the 'clear the desktop' toggle. The keyboard viewer clears off the screen, and you can't tell if the key is pressed or not (but the toggle will work if the key is depressed - you just can't see the key press, when the viewer is off the screen.
So - keyboard viewer doesn't help in this case.
You have to find another way to show the response. Holding the fn key first, then f11, should tell the tale... and clear the screen.

thanks satcomer but don't follow you. system pref yes, but after that I'm lost, can't see another system pref or language/text

Last edited:
thanks satcomer but don't follow you. system pref yes, but after that I'm lost, can't see another system pref or language/text
On your 10.5.8 system, satcomer's step:2 "Language & Text pane" is called "International"
Icon looks like a UN flag.

Last edited:
And, you must check the box next to Keyboard Viewer in the International pane.
Then, it will show in the flag menu.

But - as I said - the f11 will not show as depressed in the Keyboard Viewer, so don't expect that to help.

And, again - what happens when you hold the fn key, then press f11?

Last edited:
many thanks for your continued help. OK I have now got the keyboard viewer showing. when I press the FN key (it goes grey) and then FN + F11 together nothing happens.

Back