F14 and F15 in OSX.1

boi

official breaker of macs.
have you tried it yet?
try it!

(wasn't sure if this had been posted or not).

They do make those nice soft clicking sounds I value out of my keyboard... what were they supposed to do?

F14 decreases the brightness, and F15 increases the brightness of the screen, even on desktops (the lowest brightness does not equal complete blackness, though, in contrast to laptops).

It'd be nice to be able to deactivate F12 for eject, and these brightness keys though so we could use them for what they were intended for in other applications.

Originally posted by simX
F14 decreases the brightness, and F15 increases the brightness of the screen, even on desktops (the lowest brightness does not equal complete blackness, though, in contrast to laptops).

It'd be nice to be able to deactivate F12 for eject, and these brightness keys though so we could use them for what they were intended for in other applications.

You can! There is a GREAT hack app called iJect which I have been using for a while now without problems (testing it and other utilities out). It makes it so that you have to hit SHIFT+F12 (instead of just F12) for eject -- this has the additional advantage of making it harder to accidentally eject a CD when trying to hit the DELETE key.

Go check out versiontracker.com to find iJect.

And they also work in games which are Cocoa like Castle Wolfenstein and Q3 even during loading :)

Nope, doesn't work. The eject button (F12) works infact, I thought that was only on the iBook :) But the F14 and F15 buttons don't do anything. Unless I have to be in a cocoa app for it to work. In that case I have to confess that I don't have a single cocoa app running :(

:D

I think F14 and F15 would only be functional on some sort of laptop Mac computer. I have a G4/400 PCI machine, and they don't do a damn thing. F12 ejects/loads ALL CD-based drives, including my Que!Fire CR-RW.

Can anyone verify F14 and F15 working on a desktop machine with one of the newer Mac LCD displays? They MAY work there, but as far as I know, they'll probably only work on a laptop.

They work on my desktop...

867MHz PowerMac G4 Quicksilver (same stats as the standard 867MHz model except with a GeForce 3 and 640MB RAM). Running MacOS X 10.1.

Using the 17" Apple LCD.

Cheers,
Dak

Perhaps it's only the newer Macs with LCD displays -- can anyone verify any of the following combos? :

1) Older Mac (G4/400/450/500) with LCD display?
2) Older Mac (G4/400/450/500) with CRT? (Mine doesn't work - G4/400 PCI w/CRT Studio Display 17")
3) Newer Mac (G4/733/867/800DP) with LCD display? (This one works; just verified)
4) Newer Mac (G4/733/867/800DP) with CRT?

Originally posted by ElDiabloConCaca
Perhaps it's only the newer Macs with LCD displays -- can anyone verify any of the following combos? :

1) Older Mac (G4/400/450/500) with LCD display?
2) Older Mac (G4/400/450/500) with CRT? (Mine doesn't work - G4/400 PCI w/CRT Studio Display 17")

Works for me - G4 Dual 500; 17" Studio

xyz

Doesn't work for me:

Power Mac G4 466 (Digital Audio)
Mac OS X 10.1
Daewoo 17" CRT

Will try when I get home on:

iMac DV+ 450 (Summer 2000)
Mac OS X 10.1

Think of it this way. If the mopnitor's Brightness/Contrast controls are digital (i.e. you can control from within the OS) you should be able to do the key combo. If the monitor has analog controls (i.e. they are controlled with a dial) it won't. That's my theory. I could be wrong.

I know they work on MY iMac DV+ 450.

Back