final cut pro hack

tfucini said:
not if you already own the previous version of the program.... ???
Just because you "own" a program doesn't give you the right to do whatever you please with it. Besides, you don't really own the program at all -- you simply have a license to run it on your machine. The program itself, the code that make up the program, and the media that the program came on still belong to the authors of the program, not you. At any point in time your license can be revoked for a number of reasons, and you would be forced to rid yourself of any copies (including the original install media) of the program. It's a poisonous way of thinking to believe that you "own" programs -- that's not how the laws in the United States work.

This would be of interest here.

I paid well over 500 dollars (Apple screws their European Customers big time by changing the euro/dollar rate) for DVD Studio 2 little more than 2 years ago. I don't want final cut pro. Think this is really mean spirited to artificially cripple old versions of their software on the intel machines.....

About revoking licenses, the consumer has rights too....

They're not artificially crippled, the licenses still work on the machines you bought them for originally. The license does not state anywhere that the software will be "good" for future hardware platforms. It's unfortunate, but not "betraying" or "mean spirited". If anything, it's "profit-oriented". I know my message must sound "mean spirited", but it's _definitely_ not.

A lot of "profit-oriented" things are mean spirited.

Who Profits? And at who's loss?

Something which is not mutually beneficial is not good business. Apple may turn on their professional users now they have the ipod crowd, and still profit but it won't go unnoticed.

http://www.apple.com/rosetta/

Apple speaks of:

your existing applications live a long and fruitful life.....Protect your investment....No second-class status......
Mean Spirited, or just Hypocrisy?

Sorry, I must be missing this 'hypocrisy' to which you refer.
Reading on down through the page that you reference.
"Most existing applications will continue to run, thanks to Rosetta. Pro applications from Apple — including Final Cut Pro, Motion, Soundtrack Pro, DVD Studio Pro, Aperture, Logic Pro, Logic Express, Shake and Final Cut Express — are not supported by Rosetta. For most applications, you can upgrade to the Universal version for minimal cost."
You can choose (with most applications) to use older apps with Rosetta. Or, you can purchase an upgrade to the universal version. In some cases, this upgrade will be free, otherwise a fee is charged.

DeltaMac said:
...Or, you can purchase an upgrade to the universal version. In some cases, this upgrade will be free, otherwise a fee is charged.

This simply is not true. There is no upgrade to DVD Studio ( the single program).

This "fee" is hundreds and contradicts the whole spirit and SUBSTANCE of just what has been said before it....

I can't believe the hypocrisy (contradiction) of this is not very apparent.....

(...For most applications, you can upgrade to the Universal version for minimal cost." )

This is the bit, about "minimal cost" that I meant to quote above.

In fact, you own the software. The "you just own some worthless license" language on the box is meaningless trash to scare you.

Once you own the software, you can do what you need to under fair use to take advantage of your own property (modulo the constitution-busting DMCA, if you live in the USA.)

Sorry but Apple isn't obligated to give you free upgrades. It still works on your PPC Macs which it was intended to work on. It's not going to work under Rosetta because it uses Core Image and GPU calls which can't be emulated.

These programs are made for professionals where a few hundred dollars isn't really a lot of money.

Back