Finder displays scattered icons

b.caradima

Registered
Hi there,

I've searched the forums for related threads on this issue, but haven't found anything; at least, not with the search terms I used.

I am running Mac OS X 10.6.4 with Finder version 10.6.5 on a 13" unibody MBP with minimum specs plus a 500GB HD.

The problem is evident in the screenshot provided, but just for the record: when viewing pictures as thumbnails aligned to grid in Finder, for some reason they are completely scattered; ie, instead of all files and folders being together, they are "fragmented" with empty spaces and even rows/columns. At times I even have to scroll far to the right to find some folder of pictures completely in the distance. If I right-click and select Clean Up, nothing happens since the icons are already aligned to grid.

Attached in the screenshot is also the view settings for that folder.

How do I resolve this issue?

Thanks for looking,

Bog

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-08-20 at 7.18.08 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-08-20 at 7.18.08 PM.png
    816.7 KB · Views: 12
I noticed it the picture the Get Info window on Pictures you should use the "Arrange By" to Snap to the Grid to see what happens.

Thanks for responding Satcomer, I chose Arrange by Kind and the files snapped into order. Everything looks normal. Other disorder folders also responded in the same way.

However, I'm still puzzled by the root cause of this behaviour. Finder should not display files in this scattered manner to begin with. I noticed that when selecting View Options (Cmd+J) and selecting "Arrange by", it seems that you can only have the option of Snap to Grid OR by Name, Kind, Size, etc. Can't you arrange items by both options, ie Snap to Grid AND Name/Kind/Size?

Bog

That's right...
If you have snap to grid selected, the icons move to grid without regard to sorting...
The "none" choice does not move or arrange any icons. You can move icons to any position you like.
The "snap to grid" does not sort at all, but moves icons to the closest grid positions. You can change the grid spacing, if you like. That choice may leave open positions, as it simply moves the icons to the grid, but doesn't fill in.
The other, sorting choices also 'snap to grid', filling in spaces, and sorting once with your choice of sort.
Name/kind/size/etc does a snap to grid, and sorts to what you want. It does not provide open spaces on the grid, if sufficient icons exist.
So, to recap - you have 'none', or Snap to grid, or sort - which also snaps to grid.

How is that different from what you see.?

Back