Firewire 400 to USB adapter


I want to connect my old camera with a Firewire 400 connector to my new(ish) Mac mini. Does anyone know if you can a Firewire 400 connector to 2.0 USB adapter?

If not, can I get a Firewire to a Thunderbolt adapter?

My Mac mini is a late 2012 model.

Thank you.


? Your Late 2012 mini already has a firewire 800 port. Why not use that?
All you need then is a FW400 to FW800 cable, such as this -
That is the smaller Firewire connector that would often be found on a camera (also known as a 4-pin)
If your camera has the larger 6-pin connector, then you could use this cable -
(the description pages show a pretty clear picture of the cable ends, should help you be sure of what you might buy)

Or, if you really do need to use your thunderbolt port (maybe your Firewire 800 port is already in use), there's still Apple's Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter. No longer sold by Apple, but not hard to find:
(I give you permission to stop looking for a USB to Firewire adapter that works. :cool: )


DeltaMac - my 2012 Mac mini comes with a Firewire 800 port. So I have purchased a Firewire 400 to Firewire 800 adapter and will see how that works.