First Gen Nano stopped showing up on desktop

cheekymac

Registered
Anyone know why and know how I can fix it?

I have a G4 tower, using OS 10.4.11 and iTunes 7.6.2

I got back from vacation and plugged it back in and worked the first time but from then on it hasn't shown up on the desktop or on iTunes. It does show on the ipod that it is charged and the battery sign to show it's plugged in.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Did you plug it back in the same place where you had it plugged in previously before the vacation? Does it show up at all in Disk Utility?

The cord was still hooked up, I just took off the nano. I have it plugged into the monitor which has worked fine, I did try plugging it directly into the computer as well and didn't change. No it doesn't show on Dick Utility.

The cord was still hooked up, I just took off the nano. I have it plugged into the monitor which has worked fine, I did try plugging it directly into the computer as well and didn't change. No it doesn't show on Dick Utility.

I would hope not! :p

(Just kidding...I've come close to making that typo before, believe you me... ::ha::)

Anyways, you might have to see if you can restore the iPod to the factory settings. See if you can reset it by holding the center button and the MENU button together for a few seconds. Once it resets, try plugging it back in and see if it shows up.

For the record, I usually manually eject my 1st gen nano from iTunes, especially since I have it set to mount as a disk. If you're nano was set to do this and you just unplugged it, then that would explain why it's having problems mounting. Best thing to do is always manually eject it from iTunes before you disconnect it from the cable.

I would hope not! :p

(Just kidding...I've come close to making that typo before, believe you me... ::ha::)

Anyways, you might have to see if you can restore the iPod to the factory settings. See if you can reset it by holding the center button and the MENU button together for a few seconds. Once it resets, try plugging it back in and see if it shows up.

For the record, I usually manually eject my 1st gen nano from iTunes, especially since I have it set to mount as a disk. If you're nano was set to do this and you just unplugged it, then that would explain why it's having problems mounting. Best thing to do is always manually eject it from iTunes before you disconnect it from the cable.

Opps!

If I restore it will I loose all my songs?

To eject my nano i click the eject pic/button first then unplug every time.

If you perform a "Restore" operation, then your iPod will be returned to the state it was in when it was brand-new (read: nothing at all on it).

It will not erase any music from your computer -- it will simply erase all music and settings from the iPod itself and return the iPod to a "factory" state.

I only store the music on the nano, so don't want to loose the songs.

Any other idea on how to get it to show back on the desktop?

Thanks

I only store the music on the nano, so don't want to loose the songs.

Any other idea on how to get it to show back on the desktop?

Thanks

Well, if you have the music on the nano then it should have gotten the content from your Library in iTunes. If everything is still in your Library, then you can restore the nano with no worries (I've done this before successfully). The iTunes Library will always take precedence over what's in the iPod.

New computer, and aren't in my iTunes Library I was deleting them anyway because my last computer's hard drive wasn't large enough. So are only on my nano.

New computer, and aren't in my iTunes Library I was deleting them anyway because my last computer's hard drive wasn't large enough. So are only on my nano.

Have you tried moving your iTunes Library from the old hard drive to the new Mac and then load iTunes?

I checked the nano itself today and now the screen is white and won't change.

Scared it won't turn back on or if it does I will loose all the songs.

I reset it, held down menu and middle button. It showed back up on the desktop and in iTunes, all songs are showing up in iTunes as well.

Though on the ipod itself it's still white.

OK, if all songs are now showing up in iTunes, then you can restore the iPod to factory settings without losing anything (since it's already in the iTunes library on your new Mac).

OK, if all songs are now showing up in iTunes, then you can restore the iPod to factory settings without losing anything (since it's already in the iTunes library on your new Mac).

No they arn't in the library, only show on the ipod itself. In the library are different songs that I didn't want on the ipod.

Anyway they are still showing up but the ipod itself isn't working anymore. Before it was the ipod was working and the computer wasn't picking it up. Now the computer is but the ipod isn't.

The screen is white and if i try and reset it again a bar at the top of the screen flickers, then it does all white and nothing shows.

Strange update.

I plugged in the headphones just to see what would happen. It still plays but I can't see anything on the screen.

You can use some software like Senuti, or iPod.iTunes to transfer the music from your iPod to your iTunes library.

I don't know why but now it decided to work again, the screen non the Nano is back to normal and working fine. As well as it still showing up back on the desktop and in iTunes.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Back