First Mac Purchase

MacNewbie2007

Registered
Hi guys,

I've always used PC's but I'm working in the media sector and have a strong free time passion for music production and video editing so really want to get a Mac.

I've got my heart set on a MacPro but I'm really keen on the idea of being able to switch between Windows and the Mac OS.

Would you advice me to wait for the new Mac OS to be released so that when I buy a Mac Pro, the ability to switch between platforums will be easier? or is the Mac Pro perfectly capable of juggling Windows and the Mac OS already?

Also, is there a strong certainty about the release date of the new Mac OS and how quickly do you think it will be included as part of hardware packages at retail?

Finally, I heard that you can't run the latest versions of some software packages like Adobe Photoshop, on the MacPro yet. Is this correct?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Tony.

Current Mac Pro can run Windows and OSX. You can use either Apple BootCamp or a third party utility called Parallels.

Try a search of the board for those two names - there's lots of experience!! :)

Thanks. I'm aware of the current possibilities but have read and been told that the forthcoming OS will handle this a lot better eg. u wont have to reboot to switch to one OS or the other etc. What do you think I should do? Wait or dive in?

Nothing is stopping you from buying a machine now and upgrading to the new O/S when it ships.

BTW: Photoshop CS3 Beta runs native on Intel Macs and it’s very nice.

Thanks for your post. I guess I may as well wait for the new OS to be shipped with the MacPro model to save spending more money when it comes out.

Anyone got any release date or website for the new OS?

Would you advice me to wait for the new Mac OS to be released so that when I buy a Mac Pro, the ability to switch between platforums will be easier? or is the Mac Pro perfectly capable of juggling Windows and the Mac OS already?

Also, is there a strong certainty about the release date of the new Mac OS and how quickly do you think it will be included as part of hardware packages at retail?

Finally, I heard that you can't run the latest versions of some software packages like Adobe Photoshop, on the MacPro yet. Is this correct?

Last question first - No, not correct, the MacPro runs Adobe Creative Suite CS2 perfectly fine, just not natively on the Intel processors.
There is no firm date for release of the new OS X version, called Leopard. It will be available sometime in the Spring. When it is released, you can expect it to be quickly available on newly sold Macs.
finally, Boot Camp requires you to reboot to Windows, and then reboot back to the OS X system.
PARALLELS does not need a reboot, but allows you to run Windows (and many other operating systems, BTW) from a window, while OS X is still running. This does result in a very easy way to 'juggle Windows and the Mac OS'
The Mac Pro, being a powerful, fast system will certainly do that well.
All we know for sure, is that Leopard will include the Boot Camp utility standard with the system. That would NOT include the Windows software, of course.
VMware Fusion is looking good, and is an early beta. It is similar to Parallels, using a virtualization scheme.
AND, there's the CrossOver Mac software, which can allow you to run Windows apps without Windows! The supported apps are limited, so far.

web site for Leopard? http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/index.html

I would say March. ;) What they've *said*, though, is "Spring 2007", so we kinda count on that. On the subject of not having to reboot between OSs: Current rumours as well as currently seeded beta versions of Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard" put the money on "no", i.e. BootCamp will come as a final version, but won't offer virtualisation like Parallels does, i.e. it'll still need rebooting.

Sorry for coming how from nowhere like this but I need help here. I purchased my Imac today (nad i'm proud!, i've sold my new pc for switching to mac so i'm totally ignorant with mac OS). I was trying to change the Icons size below the screen that i reduced at the maximum without to know how i did( now i know but it's to late) and i picked up the spring icon with an @ on it (that never had chance to know what it is...) and i put it in the trash by accident. I open the trash to restore the icon but it's nowhere?!!!? Is there a way to recovere it? Please somebody i need an answer! Thanks everybody. Martin.

Martin,

It looks like you never got your post answered. If so, sorry about that. You can repost after a couple weeks if no one responds. Or reply to the thread to bump it to the top.

In answer to your question, or for someone who has the same question, hold the "control" key and click on the line on the Dock (the strip at the bottom of the screen). A contextual menu will pop up. Click on "Dock Preferences" to change the size of icons on the Dock as well as magnification.

Doug

Sorry for coming how from nowhere like this but I need help here. I purchased my Imac today (nad i'm proud!, i've sold my new pc for switching to mac so i'm totally ignorant with mac OS). I was trying to change the Icons size below the screen that i reduced at the maximum without to know how i did( now i know but it's to late) and i picked up the spring icon with an @ on it (that never had chance to know what it is...) and i put it in the trash by accident. I open the trash to restore the icon but it's nowhere?!!!? Is there a way to recovere it? Please somebody i need an answer! Thanks everybody. Martin.

To make these icons, go to the website you want it to point to in Safari (eg: www.apple.com) and then drag the web address from Safari into the Dock. It'll turn into one of those little @'s with a spring.

Back