First post with Safari on MacOSX.com!

It ROCKS! Well, I've only surfed to 3 of the 10,000,000 web sites on it, but so far so good...

Originally posted by toast
It IS quick. But ugly...

Yeah, I think the buttons and the whole top could look a bit more....OSXish. Maybe it'll grow on me though...

I like how they got rid of all the bottom and side tabs, bars, & etc, like OmniWeb. Too bad it doesn't seem to have tabbed browsing though...

this tip might be useful:
The first time you open Safari, it automatically imports your favorites from Microsoft Internet Explorer.

At this time, Safari does not support importing bookmarks from other web browsers. You might be able to move your bookmarks to Safari by exporting them from your web browser as an HTML document. Then open the document in Safari and drag the links to a collection in the All Bookmarks view in another window.

And it scrolls one line at a time with a scroll mouse! Thank you Apple! Finally I can control scrolling however I like! (Using USB Overdrive, of course)

Darn it you beat me to it! :)

The google search field in the menu is a great idea (now I can have a home page other than google).

Resizing windows is nice and jerky like all Apple apps and IE - even on my DP 1 Ghz with a Radeon 8500.

Hate to say it, but I miss the IE tabs on the left - I have gotten used to history and even the scrapbook feature of IE. Please don't kill me, I hate MS as much as anybody!

Mark page for snap back is nice! (under history).

Another IE thing I miss - larger and smaller buttons for text right in the tool bar, though there is a keyboard shortcut. What is wrong with me!!!

Oh, checkout the little icon to the left of "Apple" - bookmarks are arranged similar to address book.

1. It DOES have pop-up blocker.
2. It need appearanced preferences to dump the underlined links. I hate those. Every other browser has this.
3. It need tabs (like Chimera)
4. It has to remember its window position from launch to launch.
5. I like the more compact controls (including the progress bar effect. Cool.
6. Import of other bookmarks is a must.

I'll wait until the final to pass real judgements.

P.S. I hope to submit these suggestions to Apple. However, the feedback button appears to only be for bugs.

it roxx , but it would have been perfect if they had added tabs :( ive gotten so used to tabs on chimera. i hope they add it to the final :)

Pro's

Popup killer !
Fast ! Yes, finally.
Real good bookmarks !
Flash is great !
Small application !

Con's

No tabs ...
Where's the interface gone ?

It's very promising. Speed is, like Chimera, present since the first release. Now I know Apple will improve the interface. I'm just very sorry about tabs.

There's no way to tell where a link goes until you click it... is there? That's kind of an essential feature in my book. It is still beta though, I suppose.

Back