First time mac user trying to get X11 working

evster

Registered
Hi there,

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I have os x 10.4 and I would like to get OpenOffice working. I am having trouble getting X11 working though. I have Xcode and Fink installed, is there something else I need to do to get this working?

Thanks!
Evan

During the installation of MacOS X 10.4, via the 'Customize...' button, did you select 'X11' to be installed?

I never went through the install because I just got it and everything was preinstalled. I just tried installing the mac os X11 server that I was able to download from the web and then it told me that I had a newer version already installed. So I am guessing it is installed :). I would like to use fink to get some open source software but everything I try to install just keeps giving me errors. Is there more configuration I need to do?

Thanks
Evan

If you do have X11 installed, it will be an application called "X11" located in the Applications > Utilities folder.

If you're having trouble installing specific versions of specific files with Fink, please post the current version of Fink you're using and what files you're trying to install, as well as the exact error message. Without that, it's near impossible to even diagnose what's happening.

If you do have X11 installed, it will be an application called "X11" located in the Applications > Utilities folder.

Ended up it wasn't installed but I found it on the cd and everything is working like I want it to now.

please post the current version of Fink you're using and what files you're trying to install, as well as the exact error message. Without that, it's near impossible to even diagnose what's happening.

Heh, I really should have thought my last post out a bit more, I was rambling too much. I understand you cannot help me if I don't give any specifics (I am an avid Gentoo Linux forum user) so I really wasn't asking for a specific problem, I don't know what I was getting at.

Thanks for your patients but it looks like now that I have X11 installed properlly fink is working as well.

Thanks Again
Evan

Back