Flashin Prohibitory sign OS X 10.5.8 leopard won't boot

dwalczak

Registered
Hello,
I got a Macbook from a buddy as a b-day gift. it's an older one, 2006 I believe. 2ghz processor 2gb ram, dual core uh... I'd tell ya more if I could boot it!! One night after a couple hours of drunken pvp on world of warcraft, I'd noticed how FULL my HD was... Long story short... I'm traditionally a PC guy, this is my first mac, in a drunken stupor I went through and deleted stuff that "sounded" like stuff I didn't need. On a Windows pc I know where the important files are, even if I am drunk, but mac? ya woke up the next morning and BOOM! Flashes between apple + prohibitory sign + an occasional folder icon with a ? on it. Thats it. goes no further.
I have run diskwarrior 4.1, drive genius 2.2, and tech tools pro 5.0.7 and still, no boot. Diskwarrior said it rebuilt my directory or something along those lines (it did it's thing and in the end said drive was good to go) tech tools and genius ran their tests and small fixes were made but in the end all the utilities I have report drive is cool. But I've gotten no change in boot status. Single user and verbose mode can't even boot, says Loading Mach_Kernel.............. Error loading drivers and freeze.
Did I erase some core drivers or something? is there a way to get those back outside of calling apple to get the install discs? what else could be the problem? It's been 2 weeks and that macbook is the only one of my laptops that is over 512mb ram, I miss it, please for the love of god let one of you geniuses fix this for me!

Thanks in advance

See if can download the application Yasu and run all the cleaning routines. Let the program reboot your Mac and then upon that reboot, manually reboot again to completely rebuild your shutdown/startup system cache. Cleaning this way my help clear some space.

... Long story short... I'm traditionally a PC guy, this is my first mac, in a drunken stupor I went through and deleted stuff that "sounded" like stuff I didn't need. On a Windows pc I know where the important files are, even if I am drunk, but mac? ya woke up the next morning and BOOM! Flashes between apple + prohibitory sign + an occasional folder icon with a ? on it. Thats it. goes no further.
... Single user and verbose mode can't even boot, says Loading Mach_Kernel.............. Error loading drivers and freeze.
Did I erase some core drivers or something? is there a way to get those back outside of calling apple to get the install discs? ...

Sounds like you need to get drunk again, maybe you can fix it by reversing what you did :D
I'm guessing you're now missing "stuff you didn't need" - and your system just won't work until that gets replaced. It won't be floating around in the ether, and running a variety of repair utilities won't retrieve those missing files - you need a system reinstall. Think of it in terms of a Windows system that has corrupted or missing system files. One way to fix is to boot to a Windows CD, and do a repair install. You can do a similar action with the OS X install DVD.
There's just no way around needing to reinstall your system. You'll need an OS X reinstall DVD to go ahead here. This is probably a good opportunity to upgrade to Snow Leopard, eh?
Your hard drive, if it was full, is still likely full enough that a reinstall won't be accepted until you clear some space for that install.

ooh, buddy that gave me the macbook found a flash drive with a dmg of his install disc on it, how would I make that dmg bootable from my external hd without the use of disc utility?

took your advice and just grabbed snow leo, 12 min remain on install. tyvm for the help guys. but an answer as to how to use an image... (see previous post) would be GREAT

Use that image to create a bootable partition. You could do that on another Mac, but any disk creation would use diskutil in some form, at least to mount the disk image so you can use it. You can do that while booted to your OS X installer DVD, where you can burn a disk through Disk Utility while booted to that installer DVD. Of course, now that you have a Snow Leopard installer DVD, then you don't need to create a disk from the image that you have...

Thanks again you guys! I am currently on board the snow leopard train, and no more boot issues. I hadn't planned on the upgrade just yet but oh well. Im happy :p

Back