For 2008, I wish that Apple...

chevy

Marvelous Da Vinci
Staff member
Mod
  • adds a hierarchy to the Events in iPhoto (and in the photo browser in Mail, and iApps)
  • accelerates Leopard start-up
  • makes possible to start my mac with my iPod 5G connected (I always forget to unconnect it)
  • starts an ultra-portable series

I wish permissions-repair would become something of the past. Permissions shouldn't get corrupted in the first place. The system should be able to auto-correct this if it still happens. No?

The keyboard fix, I thought, was released a couple days ago...

I wish permissions-repair would become something of the past. Permissions shouldn't get corrupted in the first place. The system should be able to auto-correct this if it still happens. No?
I agree. I think it's rather odd that permissions should become corrupted at all. I'm intrigued by what might cause it (installers? etc.), but it shouldn't happen in the first place.

Nope, afraid not. Apple released a fix for keyboards freezing up, but the update did not resolve the issue of missing the first character. The two problems appear to be different, whether or not they may somehow be related.

It "feels" like the keyboard goes to sleep if not in use for a few minutes, and is woken by the first key press. Apple has locked the main thread about the issue on their Discussions forum, which has annoyed a number of people, but has apparently acknowledged the bug. Hopefully the acknowledgement means there is a fix in the pipeline.

I"m wishing for an update to AppleTV -- preferably a software update. I'll be more than a little miffed if they release a new ATV with new features, and leave the current ATVs behind altogether. I'm hoping for a software update for existing ATVs, much like what MS did for older Zune owners.

History with iPods wouldn't agree with your wish, TTC, but I guess Apple's been changing as of late, with iPhone/iPod touch. I, too, would agree that Apple TV is in need of a software update.

You mean an iPod touch with 1280*720 or 1920*1080 resolution? ;) That'd be rather expensive and unnecessary. If it's only about the TV-output, yes, why not. But first I wanna see HD movies and TV shows on iTunes. For all iTunes Stores, not just the US store, of course. (One can dream. I guess it'll be 2010 before Switzerland sees HD content on the iTunes Store...)

+1

And for HD content on iTMS, iPhone and iPods... YES ! :D

(I presume you mean the permissions issue and not the keyboard issue.)

On a slight tangent, there seem to be a few permissions-related quirks that I'd like to see ironed out. When using Get Info under Leopard, there is a padlock by the user permissions. This padlock can be opened but doesn't seem to close again on another click. Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but it feels either buggy or else counter-intuitive. Also, I've recently had to use the Terminal to change permissions for a file (an application, actually) so that I could... change the permissions in the Finder... even though the Finder said I had sufficient access already.

And for HD content on iTMS, iPhone and iPods... YES ! :D
I agree HD might not be suitable for iPod/iPhone screens, but it would certainly be nice for connecting to a larger display. :)

I would also like to have HD Videos on iTunes, and I wish they would make all music high quality and DRM-free.
Cheaper iPod touch with more flash memory.
The iPhone open for any company (since I have Verizon).

I would also like to have HD movies and tv shows on iTunes and iPod. Maybe if they update the iPods output to HD, the AppleTVs could also get HD!

There is only one problem with HD: Imagine how long it will take to download a tv show thats 40 mins. long, or a movie thats 1 and a half hours long!! And many people have a download limit that is very low, maybe 1-2 GB per month. I have 10, so thats not a problem but those who do have a smaller download capacity should have the option if they want to download it in HD or not. It will also take much space on your iPod and those who don't have an HD TV don't need HD movies.

The quality of movies and tv shows should definitely be better - but they should only update it to HD if really all iPods have bigger HDs. The iPod Classic has enough space (80-160 GB), but now the iPod nano can also play video, and 8 GB just isn't enough, if you also want music on there, which is actually the point of an iPod.

MPEG4 makes possible to have a flexible definition, with a flexible bit-rate. Why not exploit that ?

VBR doesn't mean different resolutions. HD videos wouldn't make much sense on an iPod nano.

On a slight tangent, there seem to be a few permissions-related quirks that I'd like to see ironed out ....... Maybe I'm misunderstanding this, but it feels either buggy or else counter-intuitive. Also, I've recently had to use the Terminal to change permissions for a file ...........
During a nerd moment, I decided to change my Hard Drive icon to something 'snazzy, but totally unnecessary' and found I had no administrator permissions to do this, even though I was logged in as the administrator. The next time I rebooted, administrator permissions were restored, but only to reverse again after another reboot.

Yes, buggy.

VBR doesn't mean different resolutions. HD videos wouldn't make much sense on an iPod nano.

I mean the same film can be downloaded at high resolution on the Mac and synchronized on lower res on the iPod. Taking the same appreach, one can go one step further: when one downloads a movie, it first downloads at 320x200, then it adds the 640x400 resolution, then 720 and then 1024...

It could be possible. The wavelet transform used for MPEG4 (and for JPEG) allows for that, but I don't know any file that does it.

Back