Former VP Al Gore on Apple board of directors

I personally think this is great. 2 of the men in today's world that i most admire are working side by side now. :)

Having been born in Tennessee, i have probably been aware of Gore long before most of you here. i was aware of what a powerful and positive man his father was before him. I wasn't really all that fond of Clinton - he was just 'ok' as far i was concerned. But i voted for him twice for one reason - Al Gore was his VP. i haven't liked a politician so much in a long time. primarily because of his views on the environment and the challenges facing us in preserving it. in fact, i am really disappointed he isn't going to run for president again. i really don't think bush could beat him twice.

(on the other hand, the concept of his wife Tipper as first lady is pretty scary :D )

Time to sell my mac and go with OpenBSD.

I'll wait and give the guy a chance though. If he continues to use his thinkpad, then I give up all hope for Apple.

Originally posted by lckylasvegas
If he continues to use his thinkpad, then I give up all hope for Apple.

He uses a ThinkPad? I have a ThinkPad :D . Steve used a ThinkPad for a few years after returning to Apple (it was replace with a Wallstreet as I recall... I have a Wallstreet :D ).

Gore also used a PowerBook Duo while in Office with a nice Dock and 17" monitor in his office. I have a PowerBook Duo :D .

Originally posted by RacerX
There you go mistaking Bush for Gore. Remember that Bush is the one who is for big government and spending money which isn't there. Must be all that good business sense that he and Cheney are applying to the government...

:rolleyes:

How are those companies of theirs doing again?

Cheney is damn near a billionaire so if he can transform his great business sense into saving/making money for the US government, im all for it.

the US government is not an NPO. you've got to spend it to make it. also, war stimulates the economy. if we can go over to iraq and kick some serious ass, it'll likely be the shot in the arm the US economy needs.

like it or not, BUSH is getting reelected. :D

Originally posted by kendall
Cheney is damn near a billionaire so if he can transform his great business sense into saving/making money for the US government, im all for it.

Wouldn't it be great if he started already. :D

the US government is not an NPO. you've got to spend it to make it. also, war stimulates the economy. if we can go over to iraq and kick some serious ass, it'll likely be the shot in the arm the US economy needs.

Now this shot in the arm, would this be like the first Gulf War (which didn't help us) or the war against Afghanistan_ (which also didn't help us)?

Maybe this time he'll actuall get the votes needed, but time should tell. His father was America's most popular president at this point in his term (about 72% approval as I recall), maybe Bush's second term is going to look very much like his father's. :D

Originally posted by kendall

Bwaaaaa ha ha ha ha ha ha .... That's the funniest thing I've heard all week! :D

Maybe this time he'll actuall get the votes needed

Actually, he did... The 500 something votes he got more than Gore in Florida gave him all of Florida's electoral votes. Now I know you're an intelligent guy RacerX , but do you need a lesson in how our elections work and precisely what the electoral college is for?

And, getting back to the first Gulf War - it was a shot in the arm for the US Economy. Look at the statistics - we started moving out of recession a few months after the war was over. We were in an upswing by 92 that continued on for about 3 years. Of course, the media continued to play up the recession, thanks in part to the politcal genius of Bill Clinton and Carville's "it's the economy stupid" attack. Give them credit - it worked.

I'm a Bush fan, but I'd be living in a fake reality if I thought his chances for reelection were 100%. Right now, his chances for reelection are no better than they were for his father in 1991. If the war goes well, they will be better. If the war goes well and he gets his tax package through (which will stimulate the economy), his chances will be even better. But a sure thing it is not.

Getting back to what Gore can offer as a board member at Apple. Well, look at the other board members, and what they've brought to the table...

Larry Ellison... Hmm. I can't think of anything positive he brought to the company. Maybe a golf partner for Steve. Who knows.

Bill Campbell from Intuit... I'm sure QuickBooks return on the Mac is partly due to Campbell being on Apple's board. That's not to say the sales figures aren't there to support the appliction, but I doubt it would've happened without some arm twising by Steve...

That guy from the Gap... He had a big influence on the Apple Store implementation. Ever noticed how much the Apple Store looks and feels like a Gap?

Levinson got Genetech to buy over 1000 flat screen iMacs to run BLAST. That's not too bad...

Drexler, who's day job is JCrew... Again, his experience in retail was probably value to the Apple Retail Store initiative.

And finally, Jerry York, from Microwarehouse... Well, his company is probably the biggest mail order Mac dealer.

So what will Gore contribute? My guess - environmental initiatives. Don't be surprised to see new power saving features become a priority, along with boxes made from recycled carboard, etc. Maybe Tipper can get the iTunes team to filter out music that parents feel isn't appropriate for their kids.

Seriously though. As "smart" as Gore might be... He has ZERO experience in the private sector. He's never held a job in business, and his poltical connections (most of which are irrelevent now) will not be a factor. Other than name recognition, I don't see what he can offer the company, outside a few extra sales from liberal fans who love the guy (offset of course by the right wing Mac users who hate the guy).

What will Al Gore bring to the Board of Directors for Apple? Like someone has already said, this is his first venture in the public sector. What experience can he give to that committee? What in his limited background will he contribute? I can not stand the man in his current political stance, but I am ready and willing to see what he can do in the private sector.

At least at the company where I work a persons skills aren't the only thing that is looked at when searching for members of the board. At least some of the people on our board were chosen because they could help us sell into certain markets. They're highly skilled people in some manner, but not in a manner that would allow them to influence the design of our products.

That might be why Al Gore was chosen, though I don't understand where he could help penetrate new markets.

perhaps al is going to help with negotiating overseas apple stores. at least one presidential candidate had a sense of diplomacy. :D

I'm just trying to figure out what each party has to gain. I really don't know. Other than name recognition, I don't see what Apple has to gain.

As for Al, what he can he possibly gain from being on that board?

Kind of interesting.

Originally posted by mindbend
As for Al, what he can he possibly gain from being on that board?

There is nothing. Apple already has the name recognition. They must think Al can really contribute something. I am willing to see it come true.

I agree with edX. Apple has some serious problems with its international user base and Al has great name recognition outside the US.

Originally posted by Ugg
I agree with edX. Apple has some serious problems with its international user base and Al has great name recognition outside the US.

Ditto here.

Apple has some serious problems with its international user base and Al has great name recognition outside the US

Oh yeah. We can expect the Buddhist Monks to buy Macs in droves now...

Sorry, I couldn't resist.... :D

Back