Free Anti Virus Software

cleo

Registered
I was using Free Avast Anti Virus but I'm not sure if its the best one, so I'm hoping someone can let me know of a better one.. I have a Mac OS X Version 10.7.5…Any help will be appreciated.. Thank You

This article is the most recent that I have seen, and ranks paid and free software.
I think if you want something that is effective, then you should see that the Avast is as good as any (and free, too!)
http://www.thesafemac.com/mac-anti-virus-testing-2014/

I also do need to add my 2 cents. I don't' think there's such as thing as "best" AV software on a Mac.
You have to balance against what you think you need, and what you may be _required_ to have.
The reason I say that, is unless you are "required" to have antivirus software because of where you work, or the network that you have to connect - then the "best" AV is no AV at all - better is to use safe computing. And, don't forget that Apple updates the built-in protect scanning software quite often. It does not take anything significant from your system resources. Almost all other AV software affects your system performance. Some (such as from Norton) are amazingly bad.

I have ClamxAV and Sophos Anti-Virus. No doubt, ClamxAV is good, but it is slow. I prefer Sophos, as it is self updating, and works automatically in the background.

Back