Free upgrade to 10.5

hawki18

Registered
Just bought a new 20" in 2.4 ghz IMac this last weekend, what is Apple history on give customer a free update to the new OS when they buy a new computer with 30 days of the release?

I believe you're covered. Save your paperwork.

This assumes, of course, that Leopard comes out on the 26th, as predicted.

I don't know about that... hasn't Apple's stance in the past been that you have to have purchased the computer AFTER the launch of the new operating system in order to receive a free upgrade to the new operating system?

yeah, but those dates of the program coincided with the announcement of Tiger, Apple officially announced the release date of Tiger 2 weeks before Leopard, and that program basically said 'if you bought a mac between announcment and release, you can get it free. i would be surprised if apple gave you leopard free.

there is of course apples 14-day 'return' policy, but that's if they release leopard less than 14 days after you bought it.

Depends on whether "just bought" means "yesterday" or "last month".
hawki18 said he bought it "this last weekend" and his post was dated October 9th, so I'm assuming he made his purchase on October 6th or 7th.

arrrrggghh!!! I bought a new MacBook on the 17th of September. I would have hoped they would have a 60-90 day free upgrade. 25 days!! LAME!!

I called Apple (408.974.2042) and asked for Customer Relations and lodged a formal complaint about the narrow window for the OS upgrade. The lady took my info, serial # and phone number and said they take complaints seriously. Wait and see. Call them and see what happens.

It's been pretty widely publicized for quite some time that Leopard will be out in October. I know everyone wants everything for free but there has to be a cut off date.

I pre-ordered mine on Amazon.com - no tax and free shipping.
(only $109 - less than the education-discounted price of $116 !)

Please note: Pre-order Price Guarantee covers one or more item(s) in this order. If the Amazon.com price decreases between your order time and the release date, you'll receive the lowest price. See details.

Order #: 104-7712885-4016261
Shipping Method: FREE Super Saver Shipping
Shipping Preference: Group my items into as few shipments as possible
Subtotal of Items: $109.00
Shipping & Handling: $4.98
Super Saver Discount -$4.98
Pre-order Guarantee -$0.00
------
Total for this Order: $109.00

Shipping estimate for these items: November 5, 2007
Delivery estimate: November 12, 2007 - November 16, 2007
1 "Apple Mac OS X Version 10.5 Leopard"
DVD-ROM; $109.00

so - why doesn't macosx.com make a pre-order-program arrangement with Amazon. Daring Fireball gets a ten-spot out of each copy pre-ordered at Amazon through his link.

Back