G4 AGP to DVI?

Guaire

Registered
My Mac G4 AGP graphics is a 500 MHz with 2 Gigs of RAM. It's model PowerMac3,1. The video card is a ATI Radeon 7500 that outputs only to VGA. A VGA to DVI adapter doesn't work to monitor's DVI input. Only the VGA works. I did a search on the G4 graphics options and I didn't come up with much.

Is there a work around that would output this G4 to DVI? Could I add a second video card that would output to DVI?

hmm... The Radeon 7500 has both VGA and DVI-D ports.
Do you mean that the DVI port on that card is dead?
(not really in my territory. I've not been a video enthusiast on Macs, except to warn not to get a PC version of vid card, unless you are ready to do what it takes to get one to work in a PowerPC Mac.)
You might be able to find a replacement vid card on ebay or similar. (Quick check, I didn't find any 7500s)
I have also seen that hobbyists use Radeon 9200 or 9600, and report that works well in a Sawtooth.
Or, there's the easy solution - get a VGA monitor :cool:

Hi Delta Mac - My card is VGA only, no DVI plug.
I have a Dell monitor with VGA, DVI and HDMI. The DVI is obviously more versatile.
I don't have a part number on the two port card that shipped on the G4 I have. Mactracker lists both cards, but no part #s.

The seller apparently knows that the card he is selling is not a Mac Edition.
It's a PC card, and would need to have the ROM burned with a Mac-code ROM. The PC version cannot work on any Mac until that is done. The driver software that you linked is NOT a ROM update, just software drivers (which cannot make a non-Mac ROM card work in a Mac.)
Search for "update a PC Radeon 9000 card to work on a Mac", or something similar. That should take you to some information that might help you in your quest for a working graphics card for your G4 AGP..

SG - Yes, that's a good idea. I tried it myself. VGA is analog. You can't get a digital connection from it.

Simple DVI to VGA adapters will only work one way. DVI from computer to VGA on display.
The only way for the opposite is with an active convertor of some kind - requires active circuitry to change the analog signal to digital.
The simple convertors are just two plugs, wired to get video signal from DVI-I pins to corresponding VGA pins. $5-$15 range.
If you want to go the other way, then you need the electronics, which will be separately powered, to create the digital video signal, and add the analog video to that. I don't know if you will find one for less than $100. Here's an example: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8214

DeltaMac - Exactly. Correctomundo!
Soon I will be taking delivery of a Radeon 9000. I'll give it a try.
I have used a video cable from DVI to HDMI. Once the output is digital, there are options.
So far the delivery is set for tomorrow.

I received the Radeon 9000. It worked without additional software. It has DVI and the old Apple Display Connector. While researching the card, I found an installer for a control panel. I installed it. It gave me the option to change the display mode for interlaced DVDs. It's working fine.

Back