G4 Error code

genther

Registered
Hello all,
My G4 running OSX 10.3.9 has started locking up several times a day. I tried all the usual software troubleshooting to no avail, so I ran the Apple Hardware Test disk that came with my G4. The logic board test failed (yikes) with error code scc/3/7. I replaced the battery and tried again. This time the logic board test failed with error code scc/1/5. I called Apple tech support (aka India) and this is the exact quote from Apple's highly trained tech - "You have to take it in somewhere and have it fixed" Thanks. Does anyone know what these error codes mean? Apple sure doesn't. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Motherboard-level error codes probably aren't something that someone without electronic or computer programming experience can decipher... it's not gonna be something like "The ATA bus is malfunctioning" -- it's probably going to be something like "JMP34 X NO_OFF BADCRC 0x1133FF," which tells you... ???

If your motherboard repeatedly fails the hardware test, the problem probably isn't anything that can be fixed at home (unless you're great with a soldering iron). It would be best to take it somewhere and get it looked at.

Have you tried returning the configuration of the computer to an "as-stock-as-possible" state? Remove all the RAM except the RAM that came with the system, remove all 3rd-party PCI cards, put the original processor back in, and put the original hard drive and CD/DVD drive back on the built-in ATA bus. If it fails the hardware test in this config, something is likely very wrong with it.

The most that you would get from this error code would be "It's a failure of the SCC chip on the logic board. That will require replacing the logic board." I think it's just as much information to say "You have to take it in somewhere and have it fixed". You can also purchase a replacement logic board on eBay or somewhere that provides repair parts, and perhaps replace that yourself.

Back