G4 iBooks

Now the iBooks look a very good deal again, and for most of the users.

I had probably the best timing selling my g3, and I don't regret getting the PB instead. Lets hope we get updates from someone who gets that candy (iBook) now so we can see how its battery life etc are.

If the iBooks had optional super drive, those would be perfect for even many who lean towards a powerbook.

Literally, was going to buy the 12" Powerbook at the end of the week. I'm a pro-sumer buy. Use some programs (iMovie, Final Cut Express, iTunes) that will benefit from the AltiVec, but don't need DVI out and the like. Going to save myself some dough. This is AWESOME. I love Apple.

Cool, sjb!

Let us know your impressions when you have this ... and how the battery life etc are.

I am excited about these iBooks. Even when the Powerbook will arrive in a few hours. :)

It'd be great if there was also a "kid" model of laptops. Lets say still a G3 iBook with a bit lower specs .. but that would still satisfy more than better the needs of e.g. school kids.

Originally posted by ksv
I don't really see any logic in that. It'd be a complete waste of resources. Where's the sense of developing an entirely new processor just for one computer, when Motorola already have a great one? Developing and mass producing microprocessors isn't exactly free.

The AltiVec'd G3 isn't a brand new processor that Apple sanctioned -- it's been in development for quite some time now.

If I remember correctly, at the beginning of the whole G4 revolution both IBM and Motorola were developing G4 processors... and Apple decided to go with Motorola. The AltiVec instructions on both chips were similar, but not the exact same. I think IBM abandoned the G4 idea and focused on bringing AltiVec-style acceleration to the G3 processor recently, which we see here in the G4 iBook. All Apple had to do was buy a bunch of these and slap them in the iBooks, make some minor tweaks and put them on the market.

This is a good transition to the pro line and a lot better idea then previous posts of it being: 500 mhz G4

People were waiting for G4 iBooks and Apple provided. Plus, it was needed for better Panther performance right?

Here is how the laptop line looks now:

iBook : 800MHZ, 933MHZ, 1GHZ
Powerbook : 1GHZ, 1.25 GHZ, 1.33 GHZ

Puurfect

Goodbye, G3. :)

My brother's going to be ticked; he just got a G3 iBook a couple of months back. :D

Originally posted by ElDiabloConCaca
The AltiVec'd G3 isn't a brand new processor that Apple sanctioned -- it's been in development for quite some time now.

If I remember correctly, at the beginning of the whole G4 revolution both IBM and Motorola were developing G4 processors... and Apple decided to go with Motorola. The AltiVec instructions on both chips were similar, but not the exact same. I think IBM abandoned the G4 idea and focused on bringing AltiVec-style acceleration to the G3 processor recently, which we see here in the G4 iBook. All Apple had to do was buy a bunch of these and slap them in the iBooks, make some minor tweaks and put them on the market.

Still doesn't make any sense to me :p
What's the point? Paying IBM more for a processor that's technically crippled compared to the Motorola G4? Nope, I believe these iBooks are using the same nice little PPC7457 chips as the pbooks.

Originally posted by ksv
Still doesn't make any sense to me :p
What's the point? Paying IBM more for a processor that's technically crippled compared to the Motorola G4? Nope, I believe these iBooks are using the same nice little PPC7457 chips as the pbooks.

They are probably using the 7455 with 256 kB cache (the 7457 has 512 kB cache). My only concerns are heat and battery autonomy. For the rest these are nice machines.

Well, seems my PB buy was badly timed. I'd rather get an iBook had I known they were this close? But why waste time regretting it when I can rather strike people with envy of my new aBook?

I might be able to convince my girlfriend to get one of those 12" iBooks now...just gotta tell her she can play Warcraft on it :)

I'm pretty sure there is no PPC 750VX in these models. IBM has not yet released the PPC 750GX which was expected to get into the iBooks (and obviously didn't). The VX was a rumoured development and might still come true, maybe for the next round of iBooks (sold as a G4, of course). Let's take a look at the technical documents for the iBooks when they come out...

Voice, look on the machines. What would you have to regret? The new iBooks are great, but aluBook is an aluBook ... :D

Either way you slice it, they should get out of the moto deal. Motorolla is just not the buddy you want to have supplying your processors. Anyone know anything about their spinoff of the processor division?

Well, the 7447 currently used in PowerBooks are quite good Motorola processors, I think. If they can deliver the 7457-RM soon, this would be quite a boost for the PowerBooks in January, and the iBooks could then use the 7447 at 1.0 and 1.25 GHz. No reason to forget Motorola just yet. Depends on whether IBM can deliver a 750GX at decent rates in time, though. But I rather see IBM concentrate on the G5 and G5+ development if Motorola can keep up the G4 development.

Not only are Mac's now G4 or better across the line, but every model now has USB 2 except the bargain basement eMac. That could make accessorising a bit easier and cheaper.

If they can deliver the 7457-RM soon, this would be quite a boost for the PowerBooks in January[/QUOTE]
Agreed, but the problem with Motorola has never been the processors, but that development seems to go DAMN slow over there. If they coudl deliver new ones more rapidly, I'd love them, but they have lagged behind.
Originally posted by nb3004
lucky:mad: :p :cool:
I know :D She's great!

omg instead of going out to a movie you could just play lan deathmatches, now that would be romantic

Back