G4 iBooks

I think we will see Motorola chips for every processor revision of the G4, and Apple will slowly drop them as they move products to the G5 in the next few years.

Originally posted by arden
I think we will see Motorola chips for every processor revision of the G4, and Apple will slowly drop them as they move products to the G5 in the next few years.

Slowly is the right word. It took 4 years for the G3 to die :p

I just bought a iBook 900 mhz the other day. This is the second time this happen, first time, Apple annouced the 14 inch screen and now the G4 processor. LOL. I don't mind the G3 for the use I have for my iBook.

Stap the screen, take it back and say it's been that way since you bought it, but you've been too busy to stop by 'till then. Have them take it back and give you a refund, then buy the new one...

Originally posted by ksv
Slowly is the right word. It took 4 years for the G3 to die :p
No, it took 6 years for the G3 to die. We bought the computer I'm typing this on in February 1998, and even then that was after it had been put through its paces a little to make sure there were no major bugs in it. So the G5's made their debut (from Apple at least) in late 1997... and, oh look, it's late 2003!

And it still feels like summer here! :eek: :rolleyes:

No, it took 6 years for the G3 to die. We bought the computer I'm typing this on in February 1998, and even then that was after it had been put through its paces a little to make sure there were no major bugs in it. So the G5's made their debut (from Apple at least) in late 1997... and, oh look, it's late 2003!

Yea, I meant from the date the G4 was announced. 1999-2003 is 4 years :p

I think we're missing the bigger picture here...

I didn't notice it before, but I was thinking about it this morning.

Who does bookem know? Bookem started this thread about an hour before they were updated by saying that he/she 'heard' the iBooks were about to be updated....what gives.

Sounds like we have an insider, or at least someone who knows someone...oh wait, that's all of us!

Later,
Eddie

Either way you slice it, they should get out of the moto deal. Motorolla is just not the buddy you want to have supplying your processors. Anyone know anything about their spinoff of the processor division?

Almost an year ago I heard about ST Micro's interest in buying all the chip-manufacturing and chip-R&D activities of Motorola...

BTW, now I'll be trying to convince my girlfrined to sell her 500 Mhz iceBook... but what about the look? The new iBooks are all plastic, and frankly do not have that "expensive" look anymore... that's reserved to aluBooks.
It's really a pity I can't buy a 12" 1Ghz iBook...

Well, that's because the G3 was a DAMN good processor. When it debuted, Apple was touting it as the Intel-killer... remember the snail commercial? Remember the burning Intel space-suit man? The G3 had real promise in it... and I believe that the G4 had real promise in it too.

The first G4s were right on track with their advertised speeds (overlooking that annoying 50MHz speed bump) and were still VERY competetive with the Intel counterparts. I believe that Apple didn't forsee Motorola screwing the advancement of the G4 so bad, and once it got back on track, Intel was whooping our collective asses in terms of raw processing speed.

The G4 does make a wonderful mobile processor, which I think comes from the fact that Motorola would rather spend their time making embedded and mobile processors instead of bigger, better, faster processors.

IBM, on the other hand, has a real winner with the G5. I think we'll see the G4 in mobile products for some time to come (not gonna make any predictions here, though) and the G5 I think will blossom in to one awesome desktop processor.

Wahoo! My GF really wants one now, and I'll touch it when it comes (will be a while thou, money required for purchase).
She was turned off by the non-illuminated keyboard, but battery time, wireless network and "Warcraft ability" made up for it by far...so some time after christmas she'll order a 14" 933MHz G4 iBook :D

Remember, folks, it took about 2 years to get the G4 chip into anything except the Powermac. I'm betting it will take about as long to get G5 chips into much, at least a year for the Powerbooks. The G4 will not be dead for several years.

You sure? I didn't read 7457 anywhere... New PowerBooks have the 7447. Cache size sounds like the iBooks use a 7455.

There's only a link in the back of the document that _links_ to Motorola's latest G4 pages (7457/7447), which clearly says that the 7457 has 512K of L2 on-chip cache. The iBook has 256K (7455). So I guess it's just a false URL used in the tech document.

Back