G4 Microphone

Rhisiart

Registered
I have a G4 tower (768 MB RAM/800 Processor/10.3.9). Does anyone know if there is a inbuilt microphone in the G4 tower?

You mean built-in? No, there is no built-in microphone in the tower.

I'm assuming you have a QuickSilver G4 model (you didn't specify)... in that case, that particular model does not have a 1/8" minijack for audio-in. Your only option is a USB microphone.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
You mean built-in? No, there is no built-in microphone in the tower.

I'm assuming you have a QuickSilver G4 model (you didn't specify)... in that case, that particular model does not have a 1/8" minijack for audio-in. Your only option is a USB microphone.

Hi,

I too have a Quicksilver G4, but it's the Quicksilver 2 (i think) dual 1Gig tower, and it does have a little input jack on the back, and I'm trying to input sound through this jack (in this case from my telephone), however i can't seem to get my G4 to recognize that there's a line plugged in. in my sound preferences, there is no detection of an input device. I am running OS X 10.3.9.

Do I need a sound card or something? some driver? Might there be something else I csn fiddle with, or do i too need to use a USB line in etc...

any help would be much appreciated.
thanks.

dottie-o: that's not an audio input jack. The QuickSilver models only support audio-in via USB devices, like USB microphones and such.

The port you think is an audio-in port is most likely the audio-out port for the Apple Pro Speakers. They had a special plug that accepted high-power signals from that port, so you didn't need to plug the speakers into a standard wall jack, like most speaker sets.

It's not for audio-in. Your only option for audio-in on the QuickSilver is a USB device, or a sound card... but I cannot recommend anything but the highest-end sound cards (like the M-Audio cards) as the drivers for retail-level audio cards just are plain bad (IMO).

well i thank you ElDiabloConCaca for solving that little mystery even if it is incredibly irritating. why would apple do this, except as an act of crulety or greed?

but at least now the question is answered.

best regards,
dottie
;)

dottie-o said:
why would apple do this, except as an act of crulety or greed?
Well, it's definitely not greed, since Apple does not sell a USB microphone -- so they're not making any money off of dropping the audio-in port.

I highly doubt it's cruelty, either... ;)

It's just one of those things -- like the ADB port on older Macintosh computers. We can't have all the ports all the time -- all technology is eventually phased out, much like analog audio-in ports. While they're not quite dead yet, you must remember that Apple pushes the limits of being on the cutting edge -- dropping the floppy drive, adopting USB across their computer lines, etc. If Apple thought that analog audio-in was going the way of the dinosaurs, then they drop it.

Back