G5 price drops on June 8

Ricky

Registered
The folks at a local Apple shop have been nice enough to tell me that the G5 prices will be dropping this Tuesday. Looks like they're clearing out stock... :)

Yeah great, right after I paid for a G4 because the G5s were too rich for my blood. *sigh* I've lived my life with such bad timing; it's a wonder I've made it this far.

Darned American vehicles! I just put 2K into stuff for my SUV...I would have waited had I know this, now it's gonna be a while before I can save up more...darn, darn, darn. Maybe I;ll have to break my 'rule' and actually take a loan out...who knows.

Crossing fingers for 3+ GHZ G5s.... <G>

According to a few sites, Dual 2.6GHz coming out tomorrow. Reduced pricing on all the current models.

I just don't get it though. Why do it so close to WWDC, but not at WWDC? Also, if they really are going to use the rumored pricing of 1599.00 for 1.6, 2199.00 for the dual 1.8 and 2499.00 for the dual 2.0...and the new line is supposed to be all dual, how's pricing going to work?

So we get dual 2.2, 2.4 and 2.6. Dual 2.6 will be 2999.00 as per usual, but that only leaves $500 for Apple to cram dual 2.2 and 2.4.

Something seems wrong with that.

I would think it would make more sense for Apple to kill the 1.6 altogether (or use it in the rumored iMac G5) and drop the dual 1.8's down to the $1924 or so of the current dual G4 towers. That would free up a couple hundred more to cram in 2.2. and 2.4. :)

Here's hoping for new Powermacs. However, I would prefer if they just went ahead and announced them at WWDC and already at 3ghz.
It would not really make a lot of sense to do a bump now, and then announce 3ghz at the WWDC due out in Sept. That would stymie sales of the recently bumped machines.

The rumoured 2.2, 2.4 and 2.6 GHz models... Are they _really_ going to NOT hold their promise of 3.0 GHz? If so, I'm sure there's nothing they can do about this, however: Can we _ever_ again listen to Steve Jobs saying something about the future without thinking of such an event? These things just don't leave my mind while I'm waiting for the Apple Store to go offline for the changes... Right now, it's still up.

IMO, it makes no sense to release the G5's now. WWDC is a great stage to do it. I'd think PowerMacs are more appropriate than the consumer iMac, but the iMac has a coolness factor and is new as well.

Of course, chaos will reign supreme if Jobs is getting the "anticipated" stuff out of the way to stop the show with the PowerBook G5. :)

Although I personally wouldn't like that (the PB G5 so soon after my new PowerBook G4), I certainly would applaud Apple for bringing that to market this soon. Also, as I _wouldn't_ buy a first generation PowerBook G5, it wouldn't hit me that hard. I firmly believe that my PowerBook is the _last_ generation of G4 PowerBooks (and I did believe so when I bought it, too) and bought it for that very reason. It's the _finished_ PowerBook G4. The one that actually works. The one _without_ strange white spots on the display... ;-)

However: I don't believe Apple is ready to deliver a PB G5 already. The iMac's easier to keep cool, though.

Go3iverson said:
IMO, it makes no sense to release the G5's now. WWDC is a great stage to do it.

Actually, it makes perfect sense. Apple (IBM, actually) wasn't able to meet the 3.0GHz promise, so instead of a lackluster display at WWDC, they'll just have a silent release of upgraded models beforehand. If they HAD reached the 3.0GHz mark, you bet they'd announce them at the WWDC, but for now, it seems that something else will take center stage at the WWDC.

Good point. So, today we will learn more about the new powermacs. If they will be updated today, Apple surely didn't succeed in the 3Ghz. If there won't be any new powermacs today, we still can hope there will be a G5 3Ghz on WWDC. Let's see..

Well, they can have an updated release and still announce @Steve's keynote about the 3GHz G5 at year's end and that would still technically correct. I wonder if the iMac will go G5 and stay at around 1.8 while the PowerMacs are all bumped up.
And with this AirPort Express, it also makes perfect sense to announce the G5 PowerBooks, maybe also in the iMac range, even if they don't hit the stores until the end of the year or early '05.

Eh, I still doubt G5 PowerBooks are gonna be here this year. Too many reports of the G5 chip fab process not being small/heat efficient enough for notebook use. We can hope for another "One last thing..." from Steve, but I really doubt it.

I'm expecting a re-cap of G5 speed bumps/redesign (a la AppleInsider's photos, and no 3.0GHz), AirPort Express intro and demonstration for about 30 minutes of the keynote, and an overview of iTunes 4.6. A color iPod, perhaps with WiFi built in for compatibility with AirPort Express. The PowerBooks were just updated not two months ago, so I'm gonna say no PowerBook updates.

If you think realistically, then the keynotes these last few years have been pretty predictable. Steve hasn't proven anyone drastically wrong recently or released anything groundbreaking that we didn't already expect.

You seem to be forgetting that it's a developer conference. Steve will concentrate on Tiger in the keynote. Everything else will be 'plus'. Last year was special in that the G5s were introduced - as well as the iSight. I wouldn't expect too many hardware releases. And iTunes isn't THAT interesting to the devs.

Question is, does Apple want to take their new Airport Express off the front page to make room for the new G5? Fox News financial report called the device the next iPod and expects it to drive the stock to the mid 30's range. Odd to see back to back days like that.

Has anyone pondered what the "cool new look" will be for the G5 iMac? I was thinking like a "treasure chest" (essentially a tall notebook) where you flip up the display to turn the thing on. It would have to be a tall notebook for the extra cooling needed for the G5. They could even make them silver and gold in color to go with the treasure chest theme.

Okay, so maybe I'm smoking something. :)

Back