GarageBand

cheekymac

Registered
Is there anywhere I can find just GarageBand?

I have tried installing it (downloaded ilife) but every time get an error. I want GarageBand to make ring tones for my iphone.

Thanks,
Lindsay

I know it's part of ilife, I have tried to install it threw a version of ilife I was given and another I have downloaded but I get an error when trying to do so.

Yes I could buy from apple online, but what a deal for $79!

I was wondering once installed can someone put only garageband on a cd? Or put on the net for download?

Are you asking for help with putting commercial software on the 'net, so anyone can download it for free? Not gonna happen on this site - Violates the board rules, don'tcha know!

iLife comes free with a new Mac!

If you only want garageband, you can do a custom install of iLife, choosing to install only Garageband.

No that's now that I said. I asked if there was anywhere to find it alone.

I don't have a new mac and as I said someone gave me a copy of ilife and I have downloaded one myself. They just didn't work when I tried to install GarageBand.

Never mind you don't seem to understand what I am asking anyway.

No that's now that I said. I asked if there was anywhere to find it alone.
No. It's part of iLife. It is not available anywhere but with the iLife suite.

I don't have a new mac and as I said someone gave me a copy of ilife and I have downloaded one myself. They just didn't work when I tried to install GarageBand.
iLife is not legally available for download anywhere. If you want to discuss pirating software, you'll have to take this conversation somewhere else -- this forum is strictly legit.

There are two ways to get iLife legally:

1) Purchase it from the Apple Store or from an authorized retailer.
2) Get it for free when you purchase a new Mac.

Any other ways of obtaining iLife are illegal -- getting a copy from a friend, downloading it, etc. Unfortunately for your situation, this forum abides by all laws and agreements, and is a place for strictly legitimate and legal discussions of all things Mac. Unless you can somehow convince us that your copy of iLife was obtained in one of the two aforementioned ways, we cannot help you with this issue any farther.

Last edited:
You dont't need garage band to make ringtones. You can make them from any non drmed aac file using iTunes, or something like audion or audacity. A bit of googling will tell you how.

No. It's part of iLife. It is not available anywhere but with the iLife suite.

iLife is not legally available for download anywhere. If you want to discuss pirating software, you'll have to take this conversation somewhere else -- this forum is strictly legit.

I wasn't asking or discussing illegal ways of getting it. I was just saying I tried to install it from an apple cd and downloaded. My point was it was giving me errors and not letting me install it.

I wasn't asking or discussing illegal ways of getting it. I was just saying I tried to install it from an apple cd and downloaded. My point was it was giving me errors and not letting me install it.
It may not seem that way to you, but both of those ways are illegal. We know that you're not asking about how to do something illegal -- but you're asking how to do something legitimate with an illegally acquired copy of iLife.

1) You got a CD from a friend -- if your friend did not delete iLife in its entirety from his computer and give you his original iLife CD/DVD (essentially, getting rid of iLife completely), then that is an illegal acquisition of iLife. iLife's license states that iLife can only be installed on one computer at a time, and if your friend left it installed on his computer, then gave you the CD, and you tried to install it on your computer, then that's illegal. For each computer that you wish to install iLife on, you must purchase another legal copy of iLife. If your friend has a Mac, and you have a Mac, and someone in Canada has a Mac, and all of you want to install iLife, then iLife must be purchased three times.

2) You downloaded iLife -- Apple does not offer iLife as a download, nor is there any legal way to download iLife. If you downloaded iLife from somewhere (be it rapidshare, a torrent, limewire, etc.), then that is an illegal acquisition of iLife as well.

iLife comes only in two ways legally: on a new Macintosh computer, or in a retail box. Any other way of acquiring iLife is illegal (with the exception of being given/sold a second-hand version of iLife -- and that entails that the seller gives you all of iLife, on the original CD/DVD, and removes any trace of the iLife programs from their own computer after the sale is complete).

Did iLife come with your Mac? You said no.

Did you acquire the original iLife from your friend, on the original CD/DVD, and did your friend remove iLife from their computer and retain no copies of the original media? From what you've described so far, it would be a stretch to believe that to be the case.

Thusly, you have illegal copies of iLife -- it matters not whether you believe us or not. They are illegal copies. This forum is strictly for legitimate and legal discussions. Therefore, we cannot help you with your problem. It's nothing personal -- it's the rules.

There are plenty of forums on the internet that can and will help you with illegally obtained copies of iLife. This is not one of them.

Think of it like asking someone to help you fix the brakes on a stolen car. Sure, fixing brakes on a car isn't illegal -- but it's a frickin' stolen car.

Last edited:
You dont't need garage band to make ringtones. You can make them from any non drmed aac file using iTunes, or something like audion or audacity. A bit of googling will tell you how.

Thank you for your help and answering my question (which was the point of my post).

I will check that out.

ElDiabloConCaca

OMG get over yourself!

Somehow, I don't see comments like that going over well with the forum admins (or any other members on here for that matter). It's their board, respect it. If it's against the board rules, respect it. Otherwise, don't sign up. Simple as that.

Back