geeks vs. computer users

edX

mac shaman
in the year that i have hung out around here i have come to notice the distinctions between computer users and geeks. the surprising thing about this is that up until i visited here, i've never met a mac geek before. power users, yes, true geeks, no. and the reason is because macs have traditionally been the computer for idiots. having been a mac user for almost 20 years, you must understand i say this lovingly and without malice. mac owners have always been computer users. they own macs because they're easy to use, easy to fix and almost impossible to break. they get work done, they provide some play time and then they move on with their lives. go outside and hike, play some ball, watch a movie, go to the bar and try to score, read a book. anything but think about their computer some more.

for computer users, the mac sits on its desk or a table or wherever is the most convient place to access it when you need or want to. for geeks, whole rooms have to be dedicated to enshrine the objects of their true passions. computer users buy a computer that works like they expect it to and take it home, set it up, and use it. they don't think about things like updates and shareware and such until someone else tells them to - either thru a product announcement, requirements for the latest software they bought or the tech support guy who says it will fix the problem they've been having. geeks thrive on having the latest of everything before it is released, even if that means risking screwing up everything they already have working.

computer users call somebody to fix their computer and eventually learn to take care of the common problems themselves. they don't spend days reading specs and comparing caches. they occassionalloy cuss at their computers, but mostly because it looks silly to be cussing at yourself. geeks call somebody else as a last resort. only after they've changed every component they can reach and reformatted a dozen times. or at least checked with other geeks at the forums and chat rooms. geeks know every name of every part of every computer off the tops of their heads. they know the codenames and compatibilities and what cards fit in which slots and, well they know more about that kind of stuff than i even know enough about to guess what it is. i get the feeling sometime that they would get excited to find out the shoe size of the person who did the final inspection of their cpu chip.

i'm sure this list could go on and on, but what's the point. you know which you are by now. you probably knew before you opened this thread. but i didn't know till i found this site. my position here has always been - "mac user". i know what i know from experience that includes many trials and tribulations. but using a mac is practiaclly second nature to me. or was before os x. it took me a while to learn the new approach - the new attitude if you will. and it is this new attitude that has attracted all the geeks to macs. all the 'nixers and switchers and self proclaimed computer experts. these new mac geeks speak a different language than me. they see the computer in very different ways than i do. still, i have benefitted immensely from their help. and i think a few of them have benefitted from mine since despite all the nix, it's still a mac thing.

but at some points in some discussions i have to step back and realize that i am taking to geeks, not computer using freaks like myself. we see the world from different points of view that aren't going to be changed by a forum discussion. probably not even from face to face encounters unless they were my clients in therapy and then i might be able to lead them to new sources of their own light, but that's a different thing. and the thing i find so frustrating about geeks, is their disdain for computer users. people who just want things to work are beneath them. people who don't care about the biggest and fastest cpu chip are ignorant in their eyes. of course, these ultra geeks are not real big on social skills anyway, so being concerned about others isn't high on their list. what matters is being right about computer stuff. (yes, 'stuff' is one of the more modern technical terms i do know.)

at any rate, my question is this, how do the mac faithful communicate with the new macgeeks, or igeeks? At what point do we get them to understand that macs are what we made them thru years of buying the product and loving what we bought? it was never about mhz, ghz, cache size, etc. it was about a computer that did what you wanted it to, didn't break down every month and simple enough a grown man could fix it.

where is this going, i'm not real sure. i just know that while i tend to like mac users, i'm not so sure that some of our new osx fans are "mac users'. they're snobby geeks who are just thrilled to finally have some eye candy to go with their terminal commands. and once they got that, all they can do is whine about all they gave up to get it. for some reason or another i don't feel very sorry for them. to quote an old hippie saying, "you're either on the bus or off the bus". there is no standing at the door of the bus and telling the driver how to drive. if you don't like the trip, go back to your pc. w

i'm sorry if i've offended anybody. but sometimes i feel real offended by the way some people here treat my views on real world computer use vs. their super tech knowledge. those of you have felt like i was an online friend can rest assured this is not aimed at you - no matter how geeeky you are :D . your social skills and reasoning powers have been shown to be fine. for the rest of you, computer users and geeks alike, maybe think about how we can make this forum and our discussions a little more inclusive of both sides, without having to belittle each other.

i'm sure i've said some things here that will be misinterpretted. i'm sure i've said things here that don't say enough. i'm sure i've messed up what i really wanted to communicate in the first place, but at least i started. this has been a long time building up for me and tonite i had the time and the inspiration to start it. maybe i'll have the time to continue it later. maybe you'll take the time to add your perceptions of mac users vs. igeeks. maybe not.
theed - remember my old habit of always ending a post with a song lyric? :p

"does anybody really know what time it is,
does anybody really care?"

of course nobody will read this anyway because it's in the opinions forum and they only want to be bothered and shoot their opinions aabout stuff off in the news forum. i still don't believe that we had a new member come by and try to be friendly in the cafe and only myself and tormente have responded. talk about lack of social skills.

i should say nobody but macluv will read this, but he is a totally different frustration for me than most of my above post. but i'll save that for later. ;)

For me it all comes down to time...

When I'm short of it I look to my Mac as a tool I need to "use" to get something done.

When I have extra time I look at my Mac as something to help me play/learn/grow... That's when the geeky side of me comes out.

I'm happy to say that I've converted my Mom to be an OS X user, but my boyfriend is still clinging to OS 9... I think that's because he's seen me blow things up too many times (always when I was in "geek" mode vs. "user" mode) so he's convinced it is "not ready" for users like him.

Well, I consider myself to be a Computer Geek,
This is basically my story:
http://www.apple.com/switch/stories/giannijacklone.html
http://www.apple.com/switch/ads/giannijacklone.html

I hated Macs my entire life.
I was a Microsoft Flag Carrier for the longest time.
I got my first computer at age 11 (Tandy 1000 EX)
I purchased my first Windows PC in '94
I BUILT my first PC in '95
I was promoted from "Web Designer" to "IT Manager" for a small ISP/Webhoster in '98 and have been working on all kinds of PCs from Workstations, to Network and Web Servers, to Multi-Processor Intel XEON Servers (heck, build and installed a multi processor XEON Server at a Web Farm and I thought I was in Disneyland! I didn't want to leave!).

I've installed, supported and repaired systems with:
Windows 3.11, NT3, NT4 Workstation, NT4 Server, 95 (a,b,c&gold), 98 (1st&2nd Editions), ME, 2000 Pro, 2000 Server, 2000 Advanced Server, XP Pro, RedHat Linux 5.2 through 7.1 and had my hand in a few Caldera Distros (altho my knowledge is very limited on the Linux side - I don't do programing).

So you can imagine that I greatly resent and try not to take it personally when people say that I know nothing of PCs because I'm a "Mac Lover"... they don't know me very well - do they? :D

You can say I'm a Geek! With a resume like that, what else can you call me? :D

As far as caring about the fastest MHZs, biggest Cache, etc...
The first question I ask is, "what are you going to use it for?"

Hmmm... this is a surprise, most people I talk to do NOT need the fastest or biggest at all...

Some even realized they where happier with a Mac.

A friend's wife was in shock when I was talking Macs with two of my friends "I thought you where a PC Guy" - and she nearly fainted when her husband (Mac user since the beginning) turned to her, paused, and said "He HAS a Mac and has been using one for a year now! Hell he has a better one that all of ours combined" lol :D

Oh heck, I no longer know where I'm going with this either! It just feels so good! Just like my Mac! :)

Oh but I still love PCs and Microsoft, I now have my own business because of them! :D

I know exactly where you are coming from Ed...and I totally agree with you. I've been a mac user my entire computer functioning life, but I never took it any further than that. Sure I tell all of my friends about it, and everyone that knows me knows that I use Macs, but I've never gotten so into it that I've lost perspective.

Computers remain a tool to get work done and make life a little more bearable. We have fun with them and spend a lot of our free time using them, but when all the chips are laid down, there are priorities in life that supercede this tech life. I think that's what a lot of these "computer geeks" don't understand...that for some people the computer isn't the end-all meaning of life. Someone can love their computer and not be obsessed with it.

I've felt a slow chilling of the warmth that used to exist in the mac community. Where once there were smiles all around you are now seeing a lot more hostility. These new "unix gurus" coming over to the mac and all of the new "switchers" are not blending in with the old mac community. They are taking over and telling everyone to get out of the way...at least that's how I've seen a lot of them act.

I'm still getting my feet wet with MacOSX and I know OF certain things. I don't have hours a day to sit and learn unix/terminal commands...I know nothing about kernels, net info managers, or even what the heck perl is. School and life take up too much time to worry about what speed my RAM is or where my swap file is (I still don't know what this is all about...LOL).

I'm glad that the mac community is now drawing the truly computer savvy, I just wish that these people would take a look around before stepping into the room. Maybe walk around and shake a couple hands before starting to look down on those who don't share their passion for command line. At the end of the day we aren't going to take our computers with us, and the only thing we leave behind is our impact on other people. Everyone logs out sooner or later...

tommy - sounds more like your bf is really saying he's not ready for os x yet. or more specifically, he's not ready to learn something new. Hey, at least you're in an all mac relationship.;)

tormente - nice confessional. i really liked that. getting this stuff off our chests does have a somewhat cathartic effect, doesn't it? :D

and while i think you guys pretty much know me well enought to read between the lines and realize i'm not anit-geek, your replies reassured me some that i hadn't gotten too out of hand.

to be sure - i'm not trying to knock geeks in general. the world would be a much less cool place without you guys. but there is a difference between being a geek and being a geek if you know what i mean. :p and obviously i have enjoyed a lot of geek company by hanging out here for the last year. i would even admit that some geekiness has rubbed off on me. but when cpu speeds and video cards and cache sizes get in the way of us all getting along as a community of mac users, then it is time to figure out what is wrong i think. maybe you'll come back for part 2 - mac users vs. multiplatform users.:eek:

izzy - you snuck that one in while i was composing my previous post. i think you helped expand on what i was trying to say very nicely. i would just clarrify that not all terminal jockeys are like that. some of them around here have been quite helpful to me over time and good friends as well. i can think of testuser and hazmet right off the top of my head. there are others to be sure.

oh and izzy - you're gonna make a fine docter some day i think.:)

(isn't there a ZZ top song about a "perl necklace"?:p

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell
izzy - you snuck that one in while i was composing my previous post. i think you helped expand on what i was trying to say very nicely. i would just clarrify that not all terminal jockeys are like that. some of them around here have been quite helpful to me over time and good friends as well. i can think of testuser and hazmet right off the top of my head. there are others to be sure.

oh and izzy - you're gonna make a fine docter some day i think.:)

(isn't there a ZZ top song about a "perl necklace"?:p

haha...didn't mean to steal your thunder Ed :p

I'm glad you made this thread though, and I also want to make clear that I'm not saying that all of the very savvy are the same...it's just that the general feeling I've gotten. (Being more of a browser here than a poster the last few months)

Thanks for the vote of confidence too ;) It's nice to hear those every once and a while :D

LOL...I'll leave that perl necklace train of thought alone...not touching that one with a ten foot pole :eek:

Ed,

I was reading (skimming) your post and I thought that your definition of geek fit me (because I do like playing under the hood) until you got to the part about rudeness and lack of social skills.

I think you'll find rude people anywhere. I'm sure there have even been a fair share of rude Mac users since it all started. I've met some of them.

You're absolutely right. Bad social skills are nothing to brag about.

I would say that I think just about ANY Mac user is a good thing because they are financing our fun! They are helpnig Apple stay healthy.

[BTW, Tormente made a good point about people assuming someone is ignorant about PCs if he is a Mac lover. I know all about Winblows. I've used it since it was called DOS. It's not that exciting.]

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about the Mac community getting spoiled by newcomers. Many (like me, I hope) will be a positive addition. Some will only contribute financially.

I think you'll find rude people anywhere. I'm sure there have even been a fair share of rude Mac users since it all started. I've met some of them.

i think you've got a valid point here. to be fair, i've met them as well. i've always known that there will be a certain number of jerks anytime you put enough people together to call them a group. and while it might sound like it, i'm really not trying to accuse all the less than socially outgoing geeks of being jerks. knowing when to shut up and remain silent is a good social skill i sometimes skip over myself. besides just trying to get in touch with my frustration, i think i'm also trying to open up a bit of discourse here about how the 2 sides can learn to communicate with each other without so much tension. and maybe this tension is mostly just being generated by me (although izzy's affirmation suggests i'm not entirely imagining it). i just know that it feels uncomfortable and i have learned that uncomfortable feelings are a signal that something needs to change.

"financing our fun" - there's a perception i will think about. it does tend to shed a different light on things.

btw - having just read your compaq/osx post, i would say your sense of humor is good enough to suggest you may have fine social skills :D

Oh, Mac or no Mac, I am most DEFINITELY a GEEK. Why?

Does this sound familiar? I LOOK for ways to to challenge myself, to frustrate myself and to WIN. Mac or no Mac, it's a computer and I am constantly looking for a new periphial to add, another card, monitor, some way to set up a home lan on a dial up connection including an old 6100 that needs a special adapter to work with the NEW machines just to make it a challenge...then I spend all night and a day stomping around and throwing expletives and CD cases and trying it this way and that way and at the very LAST resort RTFM and asking why do I do this to myself ....because at 3 am the next day I FINALLY GET IT. And I literally stand up and put my hands in the air and shout "YES!!!!!!!!!!" and it's the BEST damn feeling in the world. THAT is why I am a GEEK.

Besides...I'm an atypical Geek...I LOVE clothes and makeup and looking good...BUT...give me the choice over Frys or a bookstore or Neiman-Marcus and I'm in Frys in a heartbeat or spending the day in the computer book dept. I love gadgets. I love brillants minds even when I don't know wth they are talking about. I read Slashdot for fun.

PC's just tick-me-off. My Mac allows me to be the Geek I live to be. :D

Hey, thanks, Ed! But what do you mean, humor?

Surely you're not mocking my frustration??? I still can't get the Compaq to boot OS X. ;)

Hmm... For years I've been actively using Windows, Linux and Mac OS (Classic) all on one desktop (two, sometimes three machines). You can certainly call me a geek.

But I think I never lost the feeling towards the Macintosh. There are very good old reels by Apple that pushed that feeling to the maximum. Maybe Apple should - again - do that to some extent. I've uploaded one of those as an MPEG-4 movie:

http://mac.fryke.com/power.mp4

You have to control-click this link and download it to your computer... It's about 1.4 MB in size. (Isn't MP4 great?!) :)

My guess is that the new iGeeks will get to know the Mac platform for those things, too. Or they might leave it again...

i am definitelly a GEEK.

not a computer user.

and i am a mac geek.

you will never find a computer user who has a computer related tattoo unless he had it done when he was completely drunk. and i have an apple in my .. low back. and yes - the geek part of me enjoys that when i go to the beach and i notice that guys are looking on my apple (not on my..) .. heh, all those windows users. (anyone knows any beachs only for mac users? never mind..)
so, wearing apple even when i'm nude. :p

i got my first computer when i was 12, it was a 286... and bla bla bla.. later i had windows, then switched to linux - i wanted a mac but didnt have money ... - and then to mac.

when i know what i want i want to understand how to do it. i don't call for a service to mess my computer problems, if i cant resolve my problem i ask some 'more geeks' i know. i want to understand how to resolve .. .and how everything works. right now i have found out i can't do some things with finder, mail and ichat unless i break up the code, add the features i want and then make it work again. and i will not get peace bofore i have figured out how i can do that. :p

well, probably i am still a linux geek as well but not that deep. i know just that i want to add those same features i want to have on my os x also to the linux i use, ... i hope someone has done that before because i feel a bit too lazy to start to do the same thing to all the linux apps as well :eek:

oh yes, also 99 % of my friends are males. i dont understand the other girls logic. they talk about clothes, mode, bfs, feelings etc while i am thinking about computers... so weirdly, i frequent the geeks = am too much online. ok. to THIS point: the last time i went shopping was in paris, in apple expo. i noticed my wardrobe looked too much like steve's so i went shopping... result: jaguar underwear and green apple-parfume. i'm not joking :D

ok. mac geek. and it seems that i'm also officially a mac fetishist. or i found out that i was in the wired's mac fetishist article, when it was already online... :mad:

oh, i used to condivide as one nick G33K ... but that is an other and a sad story.

yes, i enjoy the geek company :) :p

Originally posted by Ed Spruiell

:)

One point I should make is that a lot of Unix weenies have been Mac users. In '95 I started working at an ISP. My boss, the owner, probably forgot more about Unix than I will ever know. And he used a Mac at home. I think this was all because it wasn't Microsoft. And this was all even before Win95.

I'm a geek, through and through, you can tell by my lack of spelling skills :) And I fall into the group of recent converts, but there are reasons, and I don't whine (atleast much) about what the OS is lacking. Ofcourse, I've also come full circle with my computing...

1984: started programming Apple Basic on a IIe it rocked
1984: Got my first computer, 8088 XT clone, it was sweet! Had no more Apple Basic, was sad, but I had a ton of copied games
1990: Starting programming Pascal
1993: Finally got a new computer, 486dx2/66
1993: Started programming C, started playing with UNIX, installed linux 0.9x something
1994: Got first real job programming, in C/Perl on unix ofcourse
1994: Installed Win95 for the first time, the beta really sucked
1995: Switched from a programmer to a unix admin, became much happier
1995: Became network admin, I love cisco's
1995: Started playing with NT, still hate it
1997: Got first job I loved, got to play with lots of great hardware, all unix ofcourse, along with networks, firewalls, etc
2000: Got a job where I finally got to run the entire unix show, great fun hardware ofcourse, but still had to manage the NT crap as I did it better then the NT admins here
2001: Saw OS X for the first time in real use at LISA '01 conference, fell in love with it
2002: Bought mac, install OS X, lived happily ever after, got rid of all my other hardware, PC's, Sun's, SGI's, DEC's, etc. Power bill decreased around $1.30/day, wife became happy

Am I a recent convert, yup. Do I love the OS, yup. I played with all the various MacOS's before, and to be honest, it never did what I needed it too, I needed a command prompt. I had lots of friends who were mac faithful, ofcourse, most were just to not use MS or Intel based boxes. I had to keep my Windows boxes around no matter what my main platform was because I needed things like Office, Quicken, the ability to actually watch mpegs/quicktime/etc, and use a digital camera, etc. Ofcourse, now I don't, I have my nice pretty mac doing it all.

Ofcourse, being a geek, there are problems with OS X, alot of them infact. But, you know what, there are alot of problems in every single OS I've ever used. No OS is perfect, none ever will be. IF there was a perfect OS, you'd never have to upgrade again. True geeks know this. True geeks try to fix the problems they run into, and don't just whine about it.

Ofcourse, this will get me flamed, altho, not as much as Ed might, there are alot of people who think they are geeks because it's cool. They installed RedHat 7.x that they bought at Best Buy, so they must be geeks, they run linux. Hell, if they downloaded it from a website, they probably think they are uber geeks. The real geeks are the ones who dig under the hood, break things, fix it, and break it again. They bitch at themselves for breaking it too. In the process they also learn about every little detail they can, so they can fix the annoying things that they don't like in the OS. A whole lot of the OS can be changed by the user, you just have to know what you can/can't do. The real geeks also don't talk down to "users". Yeah, I can troubleshoot a problem faster then you can, but you can probably make some sweet image in photoshop, or a cool looking webpage, I make stick figures and webpages with just black text on a grey background. I wouldn't want you to make fun of me for my lack of artistic ability, or my lack of spelling and grammar. Hell, if everyone was a geek, I mean a real geek, I'd have no job, as I'd have no one to support, as they could all do it themselves. Also, what good is knowing anything at all if you can't share it with anyone who wants to know it. Hording knowledge and holding it over people goes against the things that made geeks into geeks. Ofcourse, if you've read this far, you're wondering "what the hell is your point, it better be good, i've spent 5 minutes reading this thing", well, my point is, geeks rock, users rock, folks who are mean, nasty, and annoying suck. I do have a problem with people (altho rightly so in many cases) seem to think that all geeks are know it alls (ok, so we are :) ), have egos, hate to help people, make fun of people who know less, and all that jazz. I guess I can sum it up by:
I'm a geek
I'm not a mac geek
I'm not a unix geek
I'm not a windows geek
I'm not a network geek
I'm not a programming geek
I'm just a computer geek
A computer geek who happens to love OS X at the moment because it does what other OS's have been trying to do for years, and failing miserably at. You could call me a fair weather fan, but you know, the old OS didn't allow me to do my job the way I needed it to, the new one does. Computers aren't a sporting team, if your favorite team keeps losing, you still can do you job and get paid so you can eat, if your computer and OS can't, you starve :) So, I'm a recent convert, and I love it. Just don't put labels on all converts as jumping on the bandwagon, as, if the wagon is going where you're going, it's just getting there faster, is it really wrong to switch wagons?

Brian

PS: hazmat, your unix geek boss could have been running A/UX on his old mac :) He would have had to be sick in the head, with severe brain damage, but he could have been :)

Originally posted by btoneill

PS: hazmat, your unix geek boss could have been running A/UX on his old mac :) He would have had to be sick in the head, with severe brain damage, but he could have been :)

No, it was Mac OS. But he did have a really nice SPARCstation at work, as well as a Sun laptop. Remember those? :)

Btw, nicely written, Brian. I think I'm in your boat. But I often will take the time to explain to a user how to do something so they don't bother me again about it. ;)

Back