Getting rid of unwanted Dashboard widgets??

nietzsche2131

Registered
Well my question is how the heck do you get rid of a Dashboard widget???
Not sure tried to right click went into apps and nothing to get a dashboard menu to get rid of them. Just curious. Thanks!

i think you just have to click on the little plus sign at the bottom left corner of the screen and close the widgets you don't want. At least that's what it looks like from the videos.

Yup. That "plus sign" enables the widget control mode, where you add and remove widgets. The active widgets get a close box and the widget-dock appears.

BTW - If you hold the Option key while mousing over a widget without the Dashboard Dock visible, the widget you are hovering over will reveal the "X" to close it... ;)

Thanks for some of the help so far. Well, I should've made it more clear as what I'm trying to get at here, I mean competely getting rid of the Widgets ala, removing a widget you no longer want to use, such as you downloaded it and you just haven't found use for it and want it gone, permantly from the Dashboard Dock. This is what I'm trying to say. Thanks again.

what about adding cities to the weather?

and what's up with the weather? it says it's supposed to be 95 in san diego today. I think there's only be about 30 days in history where it's been 95 in SD.

Every time you click on a widget in the dashboard dock, you activate another instance of that widget. I have 5 weather widgets open right now, just change from the default city on each to whatever you like.

1. Activate a new weather widget
2. Hold Command (Apple) and Option and click the widget
3. Continue clicking the widget and note that it cycles through the different weather conditions
4. Pause after the condition that looks like Rain/Snow mix...

;)

why would you wanna delete them? they barely take up any space. however, if you want to de-activate them for resourcing reasons, then you can just do the above said instructions.

Argh, how annoying. Can't believe that I couldn't figure out how to get rid of them :eek:

Weren't those Xs always there before when you would mouse over them?

How about having the correct city for yellow pages or changing the stocks in the stock widget? I like these widgets, but this is not up to Apple usability. It should be obvious.

The widget close symbol (the circled "X" in the upper-left corner) appears when you've got the sliding widget menubar at the bottom active, or when you hold option and mouse over the widget.

angryswede said:
what about adding cities to the weather?

and what's up with the weather? it says it's supposed to be 95 in san diego today. I think there's only be about 30 days in history where it's been 95 in SD.

This probably isn't your problem, but thought I'd mention one interesting gotcha I noticed with the weather applet.

Be careful about adding in city names without the state/territory name, postal code, etc. You may not end up getting the city that you expect.

I have a lot of family in Atlanta, and when I added a weather item for "Atlanta" yesterday I was surprised to learn that it was 35 degrees there.

As it turns out, the applet selected auto-selected "Atlanta, NY" when I entered just "Atlanta". I wasn't aware that there are 8 "Atlanta"s in the US =)

I'm not sure why it chose Atlanta, NY (I'm guessing probably because it's the one closest to my ZIP code), though it's confusing since it never actually displays that anywhere. I only figured it out when clicking on the widget took me to the accuweather site =)

Simple! while holding the command key down push the plus sign on the keyboard and a secondary dock will appear. All widgets will appear with the plus signs at their tops. Simply click the plus sign on the wiget and it will go away.
Mike

Simple! while holding the command key down push the plus sign on the keyboard and a secondary dock will appear. All widgets will appear with the plus signs at their tops. Simply click the plus sign on the wiget and it will go away.
Mike

Good answer, except the question was asked 7 almost 8 years ago.

Is it really a good answer? It's not even close to what works, where one only needs to the hold the Option key (not Command), and mouse to a widget that you want to inactivate, and click the close (X) - not a (+) sign at all.
This thread was first active at about the time Tiger was released, which IIRC, originally had issues with the Dashboard, and the Dashboard browser did not function the same as it does now.

Back