Good News for Apple Employees in USA

Adonsa

Registered
The entire article:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1612033.cms

Highlights of the article:
India Times said:
BANGALORE: The company that redefined the way we listen to music has decided to call it quits in India. Apple... is pulling out its software development and support operations in India. The company had commenced operations in April and hired about 30 people for its subsidiary, Apple Services India Pvt Ltd.

At a meeting on May 29, Apple announced its decision to lay off all its employees. Apple officials told them that ‘‘the company is revaluating its operations and has thought of pulling back its Indian operations’’.

Apple is giving these employees a severance package of two months salary....

Apple continues to operate its sales and marketing arm in Bangalore which employs 25 people.

... Apple had set itself a hiring target of 600 by the year-end. After a gala induction ceremony on April 17, the operations team went to Transworks for training. Some of the managers were about to leave for the US for further training when they were asked to stay put.

Some of the managers were about to leave for the US for further training
As in "knowledge transfer" or " You're fired, now go train your replacement!" ?

fryke said:
and that's good news why?
Should be obvious.
It's not just good news, but great news, for Apple employees in Cupertino, whose jobs might otherwise be vulnerable to offshore outsourcing (offshoring).

bloody pro-US-jobs people. they think that it's they're god given right to get the job they want. off-shoring happens because americans are far too into their legal rights system, and the sue-me-sue-you culture they've created for themselves in their free country. american labour is expensive, and half arsed, most of the time.

the Mercedes M-Class (mark 1) is the classic example. The germans decided to off shore from their own workforce to the cheaper (!) labour in america. that car damaged Mercedes impecable reputation for build quality so bad that they axed it, closed the plant down and made it's replacement in germany. it was an american build car. most europeans won't buy american cars. they're cheap, shoddy and over priced. if the american workforce was less inclined to look out for number one, they might have more success. the unions are making it far too easy for the average joe to get away with stuff.

This isn't a case of outsourcing, so the arguments that it would have taken away jobs for US citizens or that it would somehow be beneficial for US citizens employed by Apple is moot.

This is a case of Apple expanding it's global reach -- it's not like Apple was going to close down shop somewhere in the US and re-open it overseas employing non-US citizens.

Lt Major Burns said:
the Mercedes M-Class (mark 1) is the classic example. The germans decided to off shore from their own workforce to the cheaper (!) labour in america. that car damaged Mercedes impecable reputation for build quality so bad that they axed it, closed the plant down and made it's replacement in germany.

Sorry Lt Major, that's just plain wrong. The Tuscaloosa plant is alive and well and churning out more Mercedes than ever, including all the M's you see over on the continent. I also find it amusing that you say most Europeans would never own an American car, yet Mercedes went out and bought Chrysler. That was no merger but an outright acquisition.

But on the whole, I agree...Americans love when foreign factories are built here, but hate "outsourcing". Our hypocrasy is truly mind boggling.

http://www.mbusi.com/

Either way: I'm not sure this is good news for *Apple*. And that's what should be the important thing for us here on macosx.com.

lbj said:
Sorry Lt Major, that's just plain wrong. The Tuscaloosa plant is alive and well and churning out more Mercedes than ever, including all the M's you see over on the continent. I also find it amusing that you say most Europeans would never own an American car, yet Mercedes went out and bought Chrysler. That was no merger but an outright acquisition.

But on the whole, I agree...Americans love when foreign factories are built here, but hate "outsourcing". Our hypocrasy is truly mind boggling.

http://www.mbusi.com/

i had a feeling i was talking shit... the gen'ral theme you got though... and the M-Class was a shoddy american car.

Lt Major Burns said:
and the M-Class was a shoddy american car.

The original was shoddy. But it was a shoddy German car . . . built by Americans.

Don't blame the builders. Any worker, any place in the world, can build to any level of quality. While some cultures have more of a "reputation" of high quality, it is not a God-given or genetic right.

The Americans built a shoddy car at the time because the design was shoddy, and the German corporate owners were willing to accept a shoddy final product.

Humans will generally produce to a level that is expected of them, and not one bit more.

Well, I think it's kind of a sad thing. I'm sure India has talented software developers. But maybe it just wasn't working out. Oh well. At least they're getting two months pay while they look for work elsewhere.

<rant>Now, if these people who were fired were "support" people that I'd encounter on the phone... good riddance. The only thing worse than mediocre support from someone who knows nothing is mediocre support from someone who knows nothing and has an incredibly thick accent. </end rant>

No country likes to loose jobs LT Major Burns, as M Class Mercedes. We are building alot of Japan cars here in the USA with not issues like you complain about. So get off the OUR ASS, Alot of good people have lost there live so we have the right to say what we want when we want to. I bet you would have been jumping up and down if the job had gone to the UK.

fryke said:
Well, then I'm glad that Apple has some pretty good humans. ;)

Actually, Fryke, Apple is a perfect case in point. Apple users have a higher expectation than the masses of PC users, so Jobs places higher expectations on his designers, suppliers, and assemblers.

. . . and those humans, in turn, deliver a product that meets those higher expectations. :)

hawki18 said:
We are building alot of Japan cars here in the USA with not issues like you complain about.

WRONG... since Toyota has created more plants here, the initial build quality on their cars has gone WAY down. Have you been in a Camry, lately? It feels cheap and parts don't fit together the way they should. Sad, considering the early nineties was a golden age for Japanese-made cars– those things were built better than anything today.

in the 80's the western world went through reforms that caused a lot of people to lose jobs through major factories and plants being closed down and relocated to countries with cheaper labour. in britain, this was highlighted in the failure of the british car industry, and the closure of the coal mines. many saw this as a terrible thing, thousands lost their jobs, the economy was doomed to failure. but the economy just soared. this is because the western world was changing from the factory workforce of the world, to administration centre of the world. capitalism took a major hold, and large companies got huge. britain has now got fewer large scale factories than it ever has in the last 150 years, and yet unemployment is still almost a record low.

we have adapted to shift in focus, to the point where we have far too many people graduating from business and design degrees.

the heyday of western manufacture are over, so don't compain when the menial jobs are outsourced.

disclaimer: none of this post was researched specifically, and it's before breakfast.

Mikuro said:
...and bad news for Apple employees in India...

It's probably good news for them too, now that Sun Microsystems announced a layoff of about 5000 California employees.

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3610331

Coincidentally, Sun is opening a new operation in Hyderabad, India. http://www.rediff.com/news/2005/aug/04kalam.htm
http://www.nodalpoint.org/node/1511

This should create about 5000 new jobs in Hyderabad, India and should also free up more jobs for the former Apple employees of Bangalore. Odds are that the former Bangalore Apple employees will get a free trip to California to be trained by (soon to be) former Sun employees. The buzzword for that is "knowledge transfer."

It's good news for Apple because Apple is an American company. Nobody's saying that America is superior or any of the other nonsense implied or outright stated in these posts. It's only natural for a country to want its companies to employ as many natives as possible. ANY country.

The outsourcing to India (and elsewhere) is a hot topic in the states (I don't know how much of an issue it is in Europe). My own company and several clients have started to feel the effect of this outsourcing and on a personal level, it's not a good thing. So it's kind of an obvious and reasonable position to state in the thread title that NOT outsourcing is good news for those involved. I' not sure why such a statement caused so much uproar.

And last I checked, the Accord and Camry are still two of the top rated cars in the world for their class and both have factories in the states (and elsewhere), but that's a whole other side discussion.

It caused an uproar because any national-centric views don't go down well most people's throat since 1945. EDIT: Wow. Now that was too much maybe. What I really mean is: Don't be too closed-minded.

Back