Got my iPod...Do i dare open?

huck

Registered
So I got my iPod, that I have so longed for. But I'm actually not excited to open it. I'm afraid that something better is going to come out at the developers conference. The other part of me thinks that Apple is not going to change anything about the iPod. Its still too early for a change.

Can someone make me feel better?

peace.

Well, you bought the iPod, so what else are you gonna do with it?! I don't think Apple would take it back with a simple, "But I want the NEW iPod!" OPEN THE DAMN THING AND ENJOY IT! ;)

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Well, you bought the iPod, so what else are you gonna do with it?! I don't think Apple would take it back with a simple, "But I want the NEW iPod!" OPEN THE DAMN THING AND ENJOY IT! ;)

well it was a gift. and the person understands my point of view. im just itching to open it...but still not convinced.

First, it's a gift. What are you going to do with it? Second, exactly WHAT do you expect to come out in August (stuff announced in June won't actually ship until at least August) that's so much better than the existing iPod? There's nothing on the horizon, no rumors, almost no speculation.

Dude. You have an iPod. That alone rocks. Just OPEN THE DAMN THING AND ENJOY IT!

If it's a gift, even if that person understands your point of view, it would be inappropriate to return the gift, no matter how much they say they understand or how much you want the newest thing... and besides, DUDE! You have an iPod! OPEN IT! I'm sure the person that gave it to you is just itching to see your face light up when you use it for the first time!

huck said:
Can someone make me feel better?

No, this kind of neurosis cannot be cured by anyone else - self-reflection and repentance are the only way to go. So open the thing, get a copy of Pachibel or some new age meditation music (singing whales or some such), sit in the botanical garden and have at it. ::angel::

I say you open it, and keep the boxes wraping - every thing, then if they announce a new ipod in june you can sell that 1 and get one of the new ones!

Does the model have enough space for your music? If yes: Go! Go! Go! Get it unwrapped, installed and enjoy the thing!

I say keep it closed. No sense having and using one of the coolest gadgets in the world. Don't worry about keeping all of your music in one easy-to-access space. Don't back up your hard drive to your new portable friend. Don't use the extras such as voice recording, media storage, pda-like functions and much more.

By all means, keep the iPod in the box rather let people know you're one of the elite who own an iPod. Just tune into your favorite AM radio station, or maybe one of your 8-tracks and don't give it a second thought.

In fact, give it back and say you're not cool enough to own one because you're afraid that someday someone will have a better and bigger iPod than you. Better not have anything than have something that will one day, far in the future, be outdated.

ps. I'll send you my address and you can ship it to me, just so you have even less reason to be torn about about it. ::angel::

Dude they ain't going to take it back because you want the newer model. And there isnt going to be a newer model thi year - as said theres nothing in the runour mill, and Apple haven't managed to stun us with anything totally unexpected for years, as so many people invest so much time in investigating and speculating what they are up to.
If a new-look iPod comes out before Xmas I'll eat my hat.
I think I'd be having multiple orgasms if somone gave me an iPod - what the hell's wrong with you? Open it you mad fool.

and haven't you, kind of, just done that? ;-)

Well... There's _always_ going to be new hardware. I made my mind up and ordered my new PowerBook. KNOWING that I could have gone for the 1.5 GHz version in about a month, I still chose the 1.33 GHz version of the 15" PowerBook. My typing's too good, so I don't even need the backlit keyboard. SuperDrive? Ah, hogwash - I just need more screen real estate and a bit of speed over my iBook/800.

My iPod is a 10G second generation one, and all of my music fits on it right now. It's the perfect companion on travels, it's my big stereo's jukebox. It's just fine. Been the best hardware-buy I've ever made. Didn't lust for the 3rd generation, although the miniPod made me count my money (and it's still not available here...).

The PowerBook will certainly do me well for a year - and it'll continue the year after that - unless I _have_ the money and Apple _has_ a good PowerBook G5 by then, that is.

And yes, don't forget that you can still sell your iPod if a new one comes out. Just make sure you sell it before prices drop too much. And keep it in good condition 'til then.

I bought a 17" iMac about a month before the 20" one came out - not sure if I would've paid the extra for the bigger screen, though. After all, I was moving from a 15" CRT on a *cough*PC*cough* so it was a good enough improvement for me anyway.

Mini iPod ... I already have my money sat in a separate account, ready to spend on one. I could import one, I know, but I'd rather bide my time and wait until the rush has died down a little. After all, the longer you wait, the better it seems ...

ipods suck, please dont open it... return it immediately.... get a walkman cassette player, much better!

Look at it this way: Car manufacturers come out with new models of their cars EVERY YEAR. Most of the time, these new models aren't stunning, but every 5 years or so they're enough to knock the old model's socks off and have juice left for the shirt and tie. You buy a new car KNOWING that something new is going to come out in at most 12 months. You buy a new computer/iPod/etc. NOT knowing when something new is going to come out, but knowing something new WILL come out that will put what you have to shame. There's no helping it, so just OPEN THE DAMN THING AND ENJOY IT!

Oh yeah: ;)

Back