Guest User???

JazzAzz

Registered
Before my Wife & I left for lunch, Chinese, MY FAVORITE :), I had checked, enabling Guest User, in the USERS setting, but coming back, and bringing the machine out of sleep, all I saw was for Me to Login, no guest user. Does that only appear after a full shut down, then the next reboot???

TIA for any info.

If you open Users & Groups pref pane - do you see that the guest user is enabled?
If you log out now, does the guest user show up as a choice?

Yes, that's right.
The account that you are logged in is highlighted, marked as "current user"
If you want to view settings for another account (such as the guest account) you will need to click the padlock to unlock the pane, then click on the guest account line.

If the guest account is enabled, then you will see the guest account is available when you log out of your user.

But, to answer your first question - if you just put your Mac to sleep, and have it set to require a password to wake up again, that is NOT the same as logging out of your account. You would still be logged in, and you would not see any other accounts except your own, asking for your password to complete waking up your Mac. You don't see other accounts unless you choose to log out, or if you have your system set so you don't have an automatic login to your account after a restart.

Last edited:
Well after enabling it earlier today, I did LOGOUT of mine, but still did not see the guest one. Must be me :)

Will try again later this evening before going to bed.

Going off the MAC till then. If I don't see it then, maybe tomorrow morning after SHUTTING DOWN tonight, then rebooting in the morning>>>>Thanks

You should not need to shut down, restart, or anything else. The guest user should appear on the login window, assuming the guest user is enabled, just by logging out.

Just to try something else - check that you have the Users & Groups settings/Login Options set for List of Users, instead of Name and Password.

You should not need to shut down, restart, or anything else. The guest user should appear on the login window, assuming the guest user is enabled, just by logging out.

Just to try something else - check that you have the Users & Groups settings/Login Options set for List of Users, instead of Name and Password.

I checked and I do :), Thanks

I was going to take a screen shot of the Users page, but it of course has my REAL name, so no can do. I do have the box UNCHECKED though for Guest Users to "Connect to Shared Folders"???!!!

Well off to bed now. Not going to let this DRIVE ME NUTS, since that is a real short trip :)>>>LOL>>>Night all.

Nope. The only box that I have checked in Guest User is "Allow Guests to login to this computer". I do usually have parental controls set up for Guest user, but not at the moment.

Just curious - Do you have File Vault enabled?
I do see that if you have enabled File Vault, or if you have "Find My Mac" activated, then the Guest account is automatically disabled, and cannot be reenabled.
Find My Mac is one of your iCloud settings, and you can check in your Security & Privacy pane/FileVault tab to see if FV is turned on, or not.

In that case, you can get some of the "benefits" of a guest account by making another standard account, and leave that one with no password, if that's what you want to do. I would set up parental controls so that account won't have access to other parts of your computer, if you want to limit that. The main thing that you won't have, is that files created from a standard user are not deleted automatically when that standard user logs out. That's compared to the Guest user, which removes any guest account settings, files and documents when the guest logs out.
If you have neither File Vault, nor Find My Mac active, try turning off guest account: Uncheck "Allow guests to log in to this Computer", and you should see the Guest User show "Off" immediately. Then re-check the same setting, and watch Guest User show "Enabled", or "Enabled, Managed" if you use Parental Controls with the guest account.

Nope. The only box that I have checked in Guest User is "Allow Guests to login to this computer". I do usually have parental controls set up for Guest user, but not at the moment.

Just curious - Do you have File Vault enabled?
I do see that if you have enabled File Vault, or if you have "Find My Mac" activated, then the Guest account is automatically disabled, and cannot be reenabled.
Find My Mac is one of your iCloud settings, and you can check in your Security & Privacy pane/FileVault tab to see if FV is turned on, or not.

In that case, you can get some of the "benefits" of a guest account by making another standard account, and leave that one with no password, if that's what you want to do. I would set up parental controls so that account won't have access to other parts of your computer, if you want to limit that. The main thing that you won't have, is that files created from a standard user are not deleted automatically when that standard user logs out. That's compared to the Guest user, which removes any guest account settings, files and documents when the guest logs out.
If you have neither File Vault, nor Find My Mac active, try turning off guest account: Uncheck "Allow guests to log in to this Computer", and you should see the Guest User show "Off" immediately. Then re-check the same setting, and watch Guest User show "Enabled", or "Enabled, Managed" if you use Parental Controls with the guest account.

I HAD FV enabled, but NEVER EVER AGAIN>>LOL. Read my thread about FV, what a POS, and I apologize to those that like it OR NEED IT (I am not shouting, I use CAPS for emphasis :) )).:>>>https://macosx.com/threads/mac-mini-firevault.324053/

To make a long story longer>>LOL>>I had enabled FV while trbl shooting an issue with my Credit Unions Websiet person as to why I was being told trying to sign in to my C.U. acct. it was NOT SECURE, and my personal date was at risk. Turned out my Anti virus was just doing a great job. While FV was enabled it of course was ENCRYPTING, and while that was happening, all sort of weird things were going on, including not being able to get to a start up/sign on page on my Acer Monitor, staying dark. An Apple 2nd Level supporter suggest an OS ReInstall, but this not being my first computer rodeo (First Mac though, on my Chromebook at this moment) and being A Telco retired Tech myself, I have always considered an OS Reinstall a last resort, besides, it would not allow us to do it, because of FV encrypting. Then when we told MAC OS Utility to do that re-install after trying a few things, it started FV DECRYPTING that could take a couple of days, putting anything else on the back burner re-install wise. I asked the Support guy, "Can we force FV to STOP, and force it off?" He said we could, but would have to wipe the HD>>>>GRRRRRRRRRRRR. So I waited to let it do its' thing, all total ENCRYPTING, then DECRYPTING, from Fri, through Monday evening. And the funny thing, after it was turned off, my initial problem, not getting an startup/sign on anything on my dark monitor and another minor problem I mentioned to him (MAC coming out of sleep on its' own after around 25 minutes), which I could see it doing by the "SIL" going solid from fading off/On and making the ACTIVITY light on my modem go nuts. anyway every single issue went away, all back to normal. So my recommendation, unless you have a REAL GOOD REASON to use FV (I.E.>>Your computer is part of Law enforcement, the FBI, NSA, Government agency, a very sensitive business, a major drug dealer laundering money>>>LOL>>I would NEVER EVER USE FV. IMO it is very very poorly designed.

Sorry about this novel :). Have a great day, y'all>>>Bye. Will be busy after my normal/daily Chromebook online session (still in bed, after reading my morning paper), work out on our machine then get ready for our noon, band practice (I am a 67 yr. old rock band drummer).

Ah, OK.
File Vault doesn't usually give the problems that you report, although your own situation - slow to finish, etc, might be normal (you do have to be patient :D ). But, it will modify certain functions in the system, such as the presentation of the login window. That's why I asked about what the File Vault pref pane reports now. Either FV is on, or it is off. If it still reports "On" or enabled, then you may need to take care that in other ways. (It's really one of those times that a simple reinstall of the system will be relevant, and effective. The simple reinstall is similar in function to a Windows repair install, if you have ever done that).
If File Vault shows"Off", then you also need to check the "Find My Mac" setting, to make sure THAT is off, too, as that will also affect how accounts are displayed (and that the Guest account will be disabled with Find My Mac turned on.)

I seem to be drawn to musicians :cool:. You are third active band member that I have had occasion to respond with over the last several years. Latest plays keyboard (and misc others) with the Security Project (does early Peter Gabriel Band stuff), some members also have "history" with King Crimson. Maybe you have heard of them...
Point being - I like trying to help out, particularly as you "un-learn" some of the things that might be second nature for you on other operating system, but don't have a lot of relevance on a Mac - such as the need for antivirus software. You already have found that some AV apps might give you more problems than value.
Most Mac users don't like the performance hit of full-time antivirus software, and some work too well, as you have discovered to your disadvantage. Again, you may get less value than the narrow results of virus "protection"

Delta Mac>>> Just Double checked, I do have, "Allow Guests to sign in>>>YADA YADA YADA." Did not show, Guest user, booting up an hour or so ago, and soon off to Band practice.

Thanks for y'all help.

Delta>>Good thing I just RE-READ your post. I went and turned FIND MY MAC on. Went back and TURNED IT OFF.

I guess not having that Guest User displayed is no biggie, since anyone my Son/his family, when they come over, which they are Sunday, all have their own devices, smartphones, IPad, etc. But this will be the first time he sees my MAC & may want to play around, and I'd prefer him not play around in MY USER, may come accidentally come upon the Semi Nudes of his Mom form back in 1988>>LOL LOL :)

Ah, OK.
File Vault doesn't usually give the problems that you report, although your own situation - slow to finish, etc, might be normal (you do have to be patient :D ). But, it will modify certain functions in the system, such as the presentation of the login window. That's why I asked about what the File Vault pref pane reports now. Either FV is on, or it is off. If it still reports "On" or enabled, then you may need to take care that in other ways. (It's really one of those times that a simple reinstall of the system will be relevant, and effective. The simple reinstall is similar in function to a Windows repair install, if you have ever done that).
If File Vault shows"Off", then you also need to check the "Find My Mac" setting, to make sure THAT is off, too, as that will also affect how accounts are displayed (and that the Guest account will be disabled with Find My Mac turned on.)

I seem to be drawn to musicians :cool:. You are third active band member that I have had occasion to respond with over the last several years. Latest plays keyboard (and misc others) with the Security Project (does early Peter Gabriel Band stuff), some members also have "history" with King Crimson. Maybe you have heard of them...
Point being - I like trying to help out, particularly as you "un-learn" some of the things that might be second nature for you on other operating system, but don't have a lot of relevance on a Mac - such as the need for antivirus software. You already have found that some AV apps might give you more problems than value.
Most Mac users don't like the performance hit of full-time antivirus software, and some work too well, as you have discovered to your disadvantage. Again, you may get less value than the narrow results of virus "protection"

P.S. I actually feel safer with an Anti Virus. There is a bit of controversy about that and MACS on the internet. I'd rather me safe than sorry. NOT WITHOUT A CONDOM>>LOL LOL :)!!! I have another telco retiree friend, that has his own computer business, "Installation, repairs, lessons," >>ONLINE Computers, that used to be a Windows Dude. He fired Windows going 100% Mac. He will no longer even work on Windows PCs. Anyway, he also installed an AV, "ClamAV," or "ClamTK," which I also used on my previous Linux (Mint) desktop, that I retired for this, which was formerly Windows XP.

If you need a user account (and the guest appears to not be working correctly), you can always add another account through the Users & Groups pane.
You can leave it a standard account by not checking "Allow user to administer this computer"
Log out, and the login window will show the new account for potential use by anyone.
Let your son and whoever play/use the computer.
When they leave - you can delete that account, removing anything that happens with that account.

Have you asked your friend, the Mac convert, about your "guest account" situation? Maybe he will have a different idea that will actually help you (?)

If you need a user account (and the guest appears to not be working correctly), you can always add another account through the Users & Groups pane.
You can leave it a standard account by not checking "Allow user to administer this computer"
Log out, and the login window will show the new account for potential use by anyone.
Let your son and whoever play/use the computer.
When they leave - you can delete that account, removing anything that happens with that account.

Have you asked your friend, the Mac convert, about your "guest account" situation? Maybe he will have a different idea that will actually help you (?)

Thanks for that suggestion. Been busy all afternoon, and this is my normal (I'm OCD A LITTLE>>LOL) and do most things by schedule :), anyway this is my usual Chromebook time, in the back room, but before I go to bed I may take your suggestion and create another User, maybe calling it, "Guest UserII." But I may first try an old Telco trick. Often times when a customer complained that a feature, something did not work, we would remove it and put it back in and Lo & behold, it would. So I may UNCHECK, "Allow Guest users," then RESTART. The go back into USERS and RECHECK it, do another RESTART and see what happens. Will let you know, but will be several hrs. from here :). And no I have not asked that friend since I have known him since 1971. He is the type of guy that does nothing free for anyone>>LOL>>>Or expects payback like a lunch :)

Now Delta, THIS MAKES NO SENSE. I UNCHECKED, "Allow Guest user," RESTARTED, and Now I have both mine at the GUEST user on my Sign on page>>>>HUH???!!! Just the opposite of what I'd expect. Now I am going to go back in and RECHECK it to see if it stays. By the way, when I UNCHECK that box, the box for parental controls CHECKED itself, which I don't need checked here, no small kids here, ANYMORE, just our GrandDaughter who visits with our son, and she AIN'T using this machine :) Well here goes.

Weirder, I had UNCHECKED IT, but after RESTARTING, it has RECHECKED itself, as IF I never did UNCHECK it. Well hope for the best, will restart and see what happens. Actually only need to LOG OFF not restart. Here goes :)

Back