Hard Disc Drives-Questions.

Jackrushing

Registered
I am still a newbie with my new Mac Pro, Please forgive me if my questions
have simple solutions, which I have yet to find by searching the internet, or
the archives. My new computer came with Leopard installed. I miss my old
Tiger, which I liked much better. Is it possible for me to purchase a new hard
drive, put it in, and install my old Tiger Version on it, and have two separate
systems, and can use either one without major problems? Thank You.

As a general rule, Macs won't boot an OS that is older than the version that shipped with it. The exceptions are computers that are on the market when a new OS ships. However, Leopard came to market more than a year ago. It is not likely any Mac purchased recently will boot Leopard.

Thanks I was just wondering if I could run two systems on this ProMac. I think
there are three more empty hard drives bays in it, and I hate to use them just for data
storage. My old computer is a 2004 PowerMac G5 with Tiger 10.4.8. It has a bad logic
board I have been told. It was on the market when leopard came out. Do you think that hard drive might work if it was compatible with the ProMac? If no, then how about a
complete erase, and then install Tiger?

If you try to install Tiger on a new Mac Pro, you will discover that there is no version of Tiger that you can install. The Tiger for PPC (your G5, for example) will install only on the same model Mac, or then only with the PPC processor. The only installer that will install OS X (Tiger) on Intel Macs, are the installer/restore disk that cam with those particular model. No PPC, or G5 Macs were still being sold when Leopard was released, and none shipped new from Apple, with Leopard provided.

Well, you can install Windows on one of the other drives. You can also install some flavor of Linux, if that would fit your needs.

Your MacPro will not boot more than one system at the same time, but you could have a fresh install of OS X on another hard drive, for use if your main boot drive develops some type of problem. Hopefully you wouldn't need that type of backup.
When Snow Leopard (10.6) comes around in a few months, you will be able to install that on another drive, eh? And keep that 'old' Leopard around for your own purposes.

... My old computer is a 2004 PowerMac G5 with Tiger 10.4.8. ... It was on the market when leopard came out. ...
You are mistaken. There were two 2004 releases of the Power Mac G5. Both shipped with a version of MacOS X 10.3 (Panther). There were also two major 2005 releases of the PowerMac G5. Both shipped with a version of MacOS X 10.4 (Tiger). The PowerMac G5 was discontinued in August 2006. As DeltaMac stated, no PowerMac G5 shipped with Leopard. Indeed Leopard was not released until October 2007, some 14 months after the PowerMac G5 was discontinued. Not to put too fine a point on it, but the PowerMac G5 was not on the market when Leopard shipped.

If you repair your G5, then it will run Leopard just fine. However, you cannot run Tiger on a Mac Pro unless the computer shipped with Tiger. And then, you can run only the version that shipped on the computer or that version after updates. A Mac Pro cannot run any retail version of Tiger. It has nothing to do with the hard drive. It has to do with the fact that all commercial versions of Tiger are PPC code and the fact that bundled OSes on Apple computers are model-specific.

Last edited:
These posts have me confused...
I have a MacPro 2.66 GHz and have Leopard as my main OS, but also have a partition with Tiger which runs just fine. It's been awhile and I don't remember exactly how I installed it...probably used Target Disk Mode. It's possible I used the retail Tiger disk.

Bottom line is it runs perfectly.

Matt

It's not too confusing, actually.
The 2.66 MacPro, which was first sold in Aug 2006, shipped with Tiger (OS X 10.4.8, as the minumum), so you would have one that probably shipped that way. That MacPro was sold until Jan of 2008, and may still have shipped with Tiger, even at the end. If it didn't come with Leopard pre-installed, the last ones would have shipped with Tiger/ with a Leopard updater disk. If your MacPRo is older than fall of 2007, then it shipped with Tiger only. And would still run with that system if you choose to keep it at that version.
The MacPro released this year (2.8 GHz and higher), all shipped with Leopard only.

Again, there is no Tiger (10.4) commercial DVD that will install on any Intel Mac (except for Tiger Server). The original restore DVD that came with an Intel system and Tiger, is the only disk that will work.

Bottom line is it runs perfectly.

No, that is not the bottomline. You have one of the oldest Mac Pro's shipped. You bought it back when Apple shipped Mac Pros with MacOS X 10.4 (Tiger)--maybe a year prior to the introduction of MacOS X 10.5 (Leopard). The logical explanation for Leopard on your computer is that you non-destructively created a new partition on your hard drive and installed Leopard on it. You then made the Leopard partition your startup.

No, that is not the bottomline. You have one of the oldest Mac Pro's shipped. You bought it back when Apple shipped Mac Pros with MacOS X 10.4 (Tiger)--maybe a year prior to the introduction of MacOS X 10.5 (Leopard). The logical explanation for Leopard on your computer is that you non-destructively created a new partition on your hard drive and installed Leopard on it. You then made the Leopard partition your startup.

Aw me! I'm having these senior moments with increasing regularity...Of course Tiger came with my Mac Pro (August 2007). Shortly thereafter, when Leopard became available, I ordered it, along with two more HD's and additional RAM. I left Tiger where it was and installed Leopard on one of the new HD's.

At least I'm no longer confused about these posts.
However, I still run both Tiger and Leopard on my Mac Pro, along with Windows XP (both 32 and 64 bit versions) and Windows Vista.

Yes,We will all get that way sooner or later. I think I see why you have no trouble opening PC attachments. You have Windows installed. I just have a two week old MacPro,
with nothing else having been added. When I click on a PC attachment, I get a pop-up from Microsoft, wanting to sell me Microsoft Office. I have tried all the " open with"
options, with no luck. I was hoping there was someone on the Forum, that has a new,
bare-bones Macpro, that might explain just what they did, to start being able to open Pc
attachments. I don't mean to sound a bit bitter, but seems sort of ironic to me that with
the price of this Macpro, which is supposed to be Apple's top of the line computer, comes to it's buyer, without being able to open a simple email attachment.
Thank You, and Cheers.

Some folks would ask why Apple should bend to Windows users, providing support for those MSer's, when Windows users could just as easily provide attachments in a more compatible form for Macs... :)

I often recommend getting MS Office if you get a lot of attachments from Windows users.
TextEdit or Preview will often open those 'foreign' files.
If you have Leopard, QuickLook may also allow you to view some types of documents that you get.
You could also try other Office alternates, such as OpenOffice or NeoOffice, which may allow you to open most documents.

DeltaMac,Thank You. After a lot of searching, I find that that is what I am going to
have to do. MS Office is rather expensive,and I find that "Opal Office" offers a program
that is very cheap, and claims to do the job. What do you think?

DeltaMac, At one time MS had a free download "Windows Media Player" for Macs,
but not anymore. It was installed in my last three computers and worked fine on
opening the little movie attachments from PCs, which is what I get, mostly.

DeltaMac, At one time MS had a free download "Windows Media Player" for Macs,
but not anymore. It was installed in my last three computers and worked fine on
opening the little movie attachments from PCs, which is what I get, mostly.

Then what is Windows Media® Components for QuickTime doing on the microsoft site?

The only quicktime plugins a TYPICAL average OS X Leopard needs are Flip4Mac and Perian. With these two QuickTime Plugins an OS X user can view 98% of all video on the net. However you have to understand DRM to understand non Windows users will never be able to view the DRM laden Windows Media 10+ files. That is way most sites on the net dropped it.

Back