Hard Disk Recovery software- semi-emergency... heh... oi vey

adambyte

Registered
So.... basically, I had noticed that my Mac has been acting slow lately.... getting the spinning beach ball... and before I could get the chance to back all of my stuff up, the computer starts refusing to be used. Most of the time, it doesn't start up, and when it does, it refuses to do anything in the Finder. WHen I try disk first aid, it gives me mucho errors... so, basically, my entire folder heirarchy is kind of screwed up.... so, basically, I'm asking, which would be better at rebuilding the folder tree structure files? DiskWarrior or TechTool Pro 4? Anybody had experience with either doing that job? Any alternatives I've missed for this job?

Well, it really depends on what kind of errors you are getting. I've found that TTP often finds stuff that DU doesn't, and vice versa (I haven't tried DW yet). You can boot off your OS X install CD, right? That's how you're running tests on it, right?

Does your computer boot into OS 9? I've found that the OS 9 installer CD, or the OS 9 version of TTP, will recognize my hard drive and let me boot from it when the OS X version of these CD's does not.

Are there any other Macs in your vicinity that you can use to boot your Powerbook in target disk mode? That would at least let you rescue your data and reformat.

Yes, I can boot from the Mac OS X (pather) install CD fine, as well as the AppleCare CD which has TechTool Deluxe (not the full pro versionon it). And, Yes, There are other Macs in the vicinity, and other hard drives... the problem, however, is, the hard disk catalog is in such bad shape, the hard disk doesn't want to mount. I get spinning beach balls half the time when I want to just scan, much less "repair" the dang thing. I'm in rainbow beach ball city. So the only hope of recovering my data is through a disk repair tool, first.

I shall go back to Disk Utility, and see what errors I can report back here....

TTP= Tech Tool Pro...
By the way, what's DU?

bobw said:
My first choice for this would be DiskWarrior.
And mine would be TechTool Pro 4. If your bank account is healthy having both is a good idea since one is often able to repair conditions the other cannot handle and vice-versa. But whatever you do, avoid Norton Utilities - they have a very checkered reputation on OS X often doing more harm than good.

Disk Utility/fsck is highly unlikely to be able to handle the situation you are describing.

Those tips are all good and might help. However I wonder how anything like it does ever _happen_ in the first place. In my experience harddrives that could be 'saved' with TTP would soon act up again. So I've come to the conclusion that I forget about those tools and rather have really good backup solutions and _if_ a drive acts up, I clean the drive and restore from the backup. If it goes bad again in short time, the drive's replaced.

I agree, Fryke. However, everything was just going jim dandy with my PowerBook for a year.... good thing I've got AppleCare. However, they don't do file recovery...

So, I got DiskWarrior, and had it "rebuild" my hard disk structure... but then after the computer started up with all my settings and such, I was just back at square one with the rainbow beach ball of doom.

What I'm doing now is trying to rebuild it while started up from a huge external hard drive which will also serve as my backup device for clean wipe.

Unfortunately, now Disk Warrior is giving me a comment "Speed inhibited by disk malfunction" WHILE it's "Rebuilding directory."

Bah. I want my data. I know it's there! Disk Warrior SHOWED me at one point! I'm just having trouble GETTING to it.

Maybe it's time to open my wallet again for TechTool.... bah.

adambyte said:
Maybe it's time to open my wallet again for TechTool.... bah.
I am a big fan of TechTool Pro 4, but in this particular case I am not sure that it is the answer to your data recovery problem. If DiskWarrior completes and says that is has successfully repaired the drive but errors still persist, there may be problems that cannot be solved by any disk repair utility. If DiskWarrior gives up and says there are errors it cannot repair, then TechTool Pro 4.0.3 is certainly worth a shot. But there is no guarantee of its success either.

Before investing any more time and money on your internal HD, in Disk Utility select the drive, not the volume on the drive, and check the S.M.A.R.T. value. If it is anything other than verified the drive is history. Recover the files, if you can, and then replace the drive immediately if not sooner.

At this point your best investment may well be
  • Data Rescue to recover your internal disk drive files to your huge external drive.
  • Then if the S.M.A.R.T. value is verfied erase your internal drive with the write zeros or 8 way write option,
  • if it is NOT verfied replace the internal HD
  • reinstall OS X and your third party applications (do not restore them from the recovered files because you may restore the problems)
  • then restore your data and configuration files from the external drive and start all over again with a clean slate.

adambyte said:
So.... basically, I had noticed that my Mac has been acting slow lately.... getting the spinning beach ball... and before I could get the chance to back all of my stuff up, the computer starts refusing to be used. Most of the time, it doesn't start up, and when it does, it refuses to do anything in the Finder. WHen I try disk first aid, it gives me mucho errors... so, basically, my entire folder heirarchy is kind of screwed up.... so, basically, I'm asking, which would be better at rebuilding the folder tree structure files? DiskWarrior or TechTool Pro 4? Anybody had experience with either doing that job? Any alternatives I've missed for this job?

Your problem may not be what you think. I chased a similar problem for 2 months (since 10.3.7) before finding out that Fruit Menu had a problem that was adding 30 seconds to the startup of all applications. unsanity acknowledged that there was a problem and that they are working on it.

My advice; if this started suddenly, start looking for something else, AFTER you use Disk Utility to repair pemissions and such.

Just my two cents.

RonMan

Ooowee... no, it's definitely a big problem. Disk Warrior's SMART thingy is telling me how the hard drive is about to fail.... ha... little does it know, it already has. *sigh*

thanks, perfessor101.... "Data Rescue" looks more promising... I shall try the demo....

adambyte said:
Disk Warrior's SMART thingy is telling me how the hard drive is about to fail.... ha... little does it know, it already has. *sigh*
DiskWarrior's SMART thingy (System Monitoring And Reporting Technology) is actually a hardware thingy, ie. the firmware in the drive itself. DiskWarrior, Disk Utility, and TechTool Pro merely read the values from the drive and report what the drive tells it. So yes, your drive has failed or is failing. At least drives are relatively cheap.

Let us know how you make out with Data Rescue.

Data Rescue's quick scan found nothing, and the thorough scan simply put the hard disk in a tizzy of constant disk access, and didn't find anything...

I think I'm nearing the end of what I can do.

There's a Final Cut project I was working on here that I was just nearing finishing and it was too big to back up to anything. I have the finished product on DVD.

*sigh* Guess I'll send it in for AppleCare, and specifically ask for data recovery. Anybody know how much it should cost?

I highly doubt that Apple would be the place to go for data recovery. If you're looking to salvage data off of the drive, Apple ain't gonna do it -- they're just going to replace or repair the drive, and that's it. The data on the drive is not covered under any warranty, just the drive itself. Kind of like getting the battery replaced in your car and expecting Pep Boys to restore all your radio presets -- ain't gonna happen.

If you want to specifically recover the data from the disk, you would be much better off going with a company like DriveSavers (http://www.drivesavers.com). Be warned, though, that data recovery from damaged drives tends to be very expensive. Whether it's worth it or not depends on the value of the data that you need back.

Nothing is working.

So... I spoke with a consultant who knows a lot about hardware... and he said that if a hard drive gets too hot, the hard drive will slow down. Hard disks will only work within a very narrow range of speeds, and if it gets too low, it just doesn't work. He explained that what drivesavers does is take the actual platters out of the disk, put them in a similar hard disk, and then recover the data.

This I did not know. At the very least this was a learning experience.

Oh, and a very expensive learning experience. DriveSavers gave me an estimate of between $500 and $2700... and the average is usually $900. So it might be a very costly learning experience.

So... considering the last time I backed up was 5 months ago... I'd be missing one music video I made.... five months of lyrics I wrote (not that much), five months of photos, five months of indy music I found, and five months of graphics I created.

Assuming it ends up being the average of $900... well, I guess I'm going to do it, and owe my dad a hefty chunk of money...

So, hopefully my story has not been told in vain.... learn from it. Back that stuff up.

Sorry about your drive failure. I don't want to rub salt into your wound but since you will obviously be looking at backup solutions in the very near future, I will share my views on backups with you.

perfessor101 said:
There are lots of backup apps, but more important than the app is your backup plan and then does the application support it.

The simplest backup is just clone using something like Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper. In essence keeping two mirror images of your system. The problem with that is if a file becomes corrupted on the master and then you clone the master you have also cloned the corrupted file so now you have two corrupted copies and no reliable backup. Cloning also takes a lot of time.

Next step up the ladder is an incremental backup which backs up only the changed files. A lot faster than a full clone, but still subject to the same problem of overwriting a good file with a corrupted version and losing the value of the backup. There are a ton of apps that support this kind of backup.

The best backup is one that allows some kind of versioning. In other words you retain the last "n" versions of the file. Then if a file is corrupted in the most recent backup, you can go to an earlier backup and still recover. You may lose some data this way, but you don't lose all your data. To my knowledge there are three apps that support this Retrospect, Tri-Backup, and Data Backup. These also happen to be among the higher priced solutions.

Another issue is do you want the backup compressed? Compression saves backup space at the expense of being somewhat more complicated to restore. If you use versioning, you probably want compression too.

Third issue is what media do you want to backup to: a hard drive, a server, CD/DVD, magnetic tape what? A hard drive is the fastest and most common usually offering the most capacity without changing media, but backup hard drives are as subject to failure as the hard drive you are backing up. Any backup app supports this kind of backup. CD/DVD next most common but even with a 4.7 GB DVD may take multiple disks and are relatively slow. CD-RW/DVD-RW take forever to erase and are even slower than CD-Rs and DVD-Rs. Not all apps directly support CD/DVD backup either. Magnetic tape is cheap, but the drives cost several hundred dollars and Retrospect is about the only app that supports tape. Odds are, like most of us, you will compromise between security and convenience and use another HD for backups. (As far as I am concerned a backup on another partition of the same drive is too risky to consider.)

To me, a critical backup feature is automation. Any backup solution that is not performed automatically will be forgotten occasionally and following Murphy's Law it will be forgotten at the worst possible time causing the maximum inconvenience and data loss.

Probably the most often overlooked thing in a backup plan is recovery. How are you going to recover a single file that gets corrupted and how are you going to recover in a disaster when the entire HD goes bad? I use a bootable external drive and back my files up to a folder on that drive. In the event of a disaster, I can boot from the external drive and use the copy of the backup application to restore my main drive, or for a single file, I just use the copy of the backup app on my main drive to recover the individual file from the external drive.

So when you are looking at backup applications, price should be your least consideration. The backup media you plan to use, automation, incremental file backups, versioning, cloning ability, and data restoration should be your first questions. I think you will find Retrospect Desktop, Tri-Backup, and Data Backup have the most features, as well as being the most expensive. One thing, if you plan to buy an external hard drive for backups you will often receive a free copy of an OEM version of Retrospect. It may not have all the features but it has the most critical features and the price is definitely "right."

But that is just my opinion.

Back